Pittsburgh Pirates: Nyjer for Milledge - MLBTrade Rumors - Pittsburgh Pirates

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

Nyjer for Milledge - MLBTrade Rumors

#1 Guest_sloshyj_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

Via Twitter, Ed Price of Fanhouse.com says the Pirates and Nationals have been discussing an outfield swap of Nyjer Morgan for Lastings Milledge but that talks stalled when Pittsburgh asked for right handed starter Craig Stammen as well.

Milledge is currently recovering from a broken finger sustained in Triple-A. Morgan is having a fine breakout season hitting .267 with 18 stolen bases; however, Pittsburgh has a glut of up-and-coming outfielders in Andrew McCutcheon, Delwyn Young, and Steven Pearce.

#2 User is offline   cbh 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (sloshyj @ Jun 26 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Morgan is having a fine breakout season hitting .267 with 18 stolen bases; however, Pittsburgh has a glut of up-and-coming outfielders in Andrew McCutcheon, Delwyn Young, and Steven Pearce.

And trading OF for OF will reduce that "glut" how, exactly?
If I dared your son to do something, he'd be DEAD. I wouldn't do a wimpy dare, like "read a short story quickly". I'd have a real dare, like EAT A BAG OF FIRE!!!!"

#3 Guest_parkerbatteryday_*

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

...now for a really decent middle infield prospect....I'm in.

#4 Guest_sloshyj_*

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

Ah, but I've been told numerous times that Nyjer Morgan has no trade value...

Interesting... Lastings Milledge... one time #1, decent 2008 season...

Nyjer Morgan sucks, clearly...

#5 Guest_parkerbatteryday_*

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

The difference is that he could be valuable as a CF and leadoff hitter elsewhere. We have our CF and leadoff hitter and he doesn't hit with enough power to play the corner OF indefinitely. We need more power from that position as a power-starved team. Washington has the bats to cover him. They just have no pitching right now. They'll be OK once their young guys are ready though.

#6 User is offline   jeffr92 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

Lastings Milledge is an awful baseball player.

#7 User is offline   herrmorpheus 

• Penguin In The Desert
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

Never thought I'd say this, but I'd prefer to keep Nyjer Morgan.
Save a journalist, buy a newspaper.

#8 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (herrmorpheus @ Jun 27 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+A LOT
Utah, get me two.

#9 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (sloshyj @ Jun 26 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pittsburgh has a glut of up-and-coming outfielders in Andrew McCutcheon, Delwyn Young, and Steven Pearce.

That statement makes perfect sense. Except that McCutcheon is no longer up and coming - he's already arrived, Pearce is a first baseman, and Young is a DH.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#10 User is offline   mercerboy 

• Aspiring Legend
  • PipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:01 AM

Glad to see the national media knows how his name is spelled also.
Proud member of the Soul-sucking Pessimist Club.

"The power of Change In Atmosphere Night defies all known laws of the universe." - Syrbucco

The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy - as seen on CNBC and ESPNEWS for making $324.34 by betting $20 against the Pirates in every game of the 2010 season.

#11 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (herrmorpheus @ Jun 27 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too.

#12 User is offline   Jwill55sk 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:38 AM

You guys would rather have Nyjer Morgan than Lastings Milledge? Seriously? By no stretch of the imagination am I a Lastings Milledge fan, but I'd rather have the dudes corpse than Nyjer friggin' Morgan. That trade would be a gigantic +1 to NH despite the obvious fact that Milledge is more likely to be a successful rapper than an everyday MLB player. But the guy has obvious talent and is 24 yearsold. And Nyjer Morgan is, well, Nyjer Morgan.
"DePaul is about as relevant to this argument as the Steelers are." -Monarch, on a discussion of the quality of the Big East conference

#13 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (sloshyj @ Jun 26 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Via Twitter, Ed Price of Fanhouse.com says the Pirates and Nationals have been discussing an outfield swap of Nyjer Morgan for Lastings Milledge but that talks stalled when Pittsburgh asked for right handed starter Craig Stammen as well.

Milledge is currently recovering from a broken finger sustained in Triple-A. Morgan is having a fine breakout season hitting .267 with 18 stolen bases; however, Pittsburgh has a glut of up-and-coming outfielders in Andrew McCutcheon, Delwyn Young, and Steven Pearce.

I would do this deal in a minute, even though I've lost all faith that Milledge will ever be good. Morgan is 29 years old. Statistically speaking, he is probably as good as he is ever going to be and that isn't very good. If they could get Milledge or Milledge and Stammen, they should take it.

The Nationals have given up on Milledge with good reason. Stammen is probably a 4 or 5 started and has shown very good stuff at times. The Nationals will probably send Stammen or Detwiler down when Olson returns. When you consider that the Naitonals have five starting pitchers under the age of 26 and Strasburg is on the way, they will have to get rid of a young pitcher shortly. If the Pirates could get those two for Morgan, it would be steal.

A deal of this type is playing on the hope that Milledge finds the talent that made him a top prospect. The Pirates also know that Morgan is nothing more than a space holder for the players at AA. It makes sense to deal him to take a chance on a one time top prospect and a starting pitcher.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#14 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

milledge is a cancer. you dont like snell? youd hate milledge. stay the fuck away.

#15 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (DanPotashtic @ Jun 27 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
milledge is a cancer. you dont like snell? youd hate milledge. stay the fuck away.

Why? If he becomes a head case, you have Tabata and Hernandez waiting in the wings. If he becomes a head case this year, put Pearce, Moss and McCutchen out there extended playing time this year.

Morgan is filler. He isn't in the Pirates long term plan. He likely has about one more year left. Why not take a chance on Milledge.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#16 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (GoBucs21 @ Jun 27 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why? If he becomes a head case, you have Tabata and Hernandez waiting in the wings. If he becomes a head case this year, put Pearce, Moss and McCutchen out there extended playing time this year.

Morgan is filler. He isn't in the Pirates long term plan. He likely has about one more year left. Why not take a chance on Milledge.

he doesnt have to become a headcase, he already is. id rather keep morgan as a bench player than have milledge. this may not be a baseball decision in my mind because i have something against milledge personally. so maybe my emotions get in the way, but i think the guy is a genuine piece of shit.

#17 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (DanPotashtic @ Jun 27 2009, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he doesnt have to become a headcase, he already is. id rather keep morgan as a bench player than have milledge. this may not be a baseball decision in my mind because i have something against milledge personally. so maybe my emotions get in the way, but i think the guy is a genuine piece of shit.

A lot of good baseball players have been pieces of shit, Ty Cobb being the worst of all. If you have a chance to get something for nothing, you take it even with the associated baggage.

I know the stories on Milledge and know them to be true. Compared to my personal experience, they are hard to reconcile. His talent and those experiences are why I would take a flyer on him.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#18 User is offline   Pjoma 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

I would have to agree with Jwill and GB on this one. Although the board almost unanimously missed the boat on the idea of playing Morgan into a position of value to the Pirates going forward, that's exactly what they've done. He's second on the team in WAR at 1.7. They have extracted the trade value out of him. Since he is 29, I feel that if we have an opportunity to acquire Milledge and a SP, you must do that deal. I wouldn't do it for Milledge straight up because I feel that Morgan's value as both a leadoff hitter and one of MLB's best defenders would warrant a return greater than the reclaimation project that Milledge is. I would look at any offers for Nyjer. Milledge has a lot of talent and has a higher ceiling than Morgan, but he hasn't put it to use yet. I would love to see Long work with him.

If we have to tack on a lower level prospect to get a deal like this done, I would be fine with it. This team needs pitching more than it needs Nyjer Morgan going forward. Gorkys is going to be a much better version of Nyjer. That said, I don't have any issue with NH holding out for more than Milledge. Hope something can be worked out around the foundation of this proposed deal.
"Huntington is doing exactly what he was hired to do, and that the fans and media in Pittsburgh can’t quite grasp this, that they still hold the 2008-09 trades against him, is an indictment of their sensibilities." Joe Sheehan 6/6/10

#19 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Pjoma @ Jun 27 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have to agree with Jwill and GB on this one. Although the board almost unanimously missed the boat on the idea of playing Morgan into a position of value to the Pirates going forward, that's exactly what they've done. He's second on the team in WAR at 1.7. They have extracted the trade value out of him. Since he is 29, I feel that if we have an opportunity to acquire Milledge and a SP, you must do that deal. I wouldn't do it for Milledge straight up because I feel that Morgan's value as both a leadoff hitter and one of MLB's best defenders would warrant a return greater than the reclaimation project that Milledge is. I would look at any offers for Nyjer. Milledge has a lot of talent and has a higher ceiling than Morgan, but he hasn't put it to use yet. I would love to see Long work with him.

If we have to tack on a lower level prospect to get a deal like this done, I would be fine with it. This team needs pitching more than it needs Nyjer Morgan going forward. Gorkys is going to be a much better version of Nyjer. That said, I don't have any issue with NH holding out for more than Milledge. Hope something can be worked out around the foundation of this proposed deal.

I'm not going to say that Morgan has worked himself up to trade value. The Nationals have worn thin on Milledge. So getting him for Morgan doesn't mean Morgan has value. It means Milledge has little.

I think the Nationals would give him up for almost anyone. The only thing saving him in the Nationals systems is that their perceived glut of outfielders has diminished quickly. Kearns is finished and doesn't think he should do anything or listen to anyone who can help him. Dukes, while showing flashes of talent and cleaning up his clubhouse act, still isn't putting it together. Maxwell has neither stayed healthy nor has he performed well. Michale Burgess is their best OF prospect but is at low A and makes Dave Kingman look consistent. Beyond that, they have nothing in the OF or the corner infield positions in the minors. So, since I've made a short story long, Morgan helps them because they have nothing coming up.

Again, my personal experience with Milledge has been fine but that is probably the exception not the rule. It says a lot about the guy when he can wear down someone with Manny Acta's patience. Still, given his unfulfilled talent, I would take him. Because the Pirates have Hernandez and Tabata coming and Pearce and Moss already here, I would let Milledge know, without any doubt, that the club will have a zero tolerance policy for bad behavior.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#20 User is offline   jeffr92 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Pjoma @ Jun 27 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lastings Milledge is a career -25.2 runs defensively, and has a career wOBA of .318. He may still be marginally young, but he certainly hasn't shown himself to be any good at baseball. Lastings Milledge is a poor man's Delmon Young.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply