Pittsburgh Pirates: Pens/Wings Game 3 and Onward Amazing Comeback Thread - Pittsburgh Pirates

• 41 Pages +
  • Last »

Pens/Wings Game 3 and Onward Amazing Comeback Thread

#41 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (coolpapacole @ Jun 1 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The refs have clearly been informed to hold their whistles. Jordan is getting beat up every shift and Crosby is ascially being bear hugged all around the ice. Whatever. I think we need to start doing more shit away from the puck since the refs seem to be allowing it.

1. agree, if they're going to allow this shit, then the pens need to start running pick plays in the offensive zone and obstruct along the boards in the neutral zone.

2. The way the first 2 games have been played, I feel like I'm watching the Pens play Florida back in '97. It reminds me so much of seeing Mario and Jagr literally getting tackled off of the faceoffs.

3. Jordan needs to snap and just beat the piss out of someone. To bad he has no balls and this will never happen.

#42 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

Didn't they add the new rules after the lockout so the very shit that Detroit is getting away with doesn't happen and allow the skill players to, you know, be able to show their skill and not get interfered with by douchefucks like Holmfag the entire game.

I mean even on the one breakaway Sid had after beating two people he took a forearm shiver by one of the d-man and still got past him and the shot off.
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#43 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (mzimmerman81 @ Jun 1 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't they add the new rules after the lockout so the very shit that Detroit is getting away with doesn't happen and allow the skill players to, you know, be able to show their skill and not get interfered with by douchefucks like Holmfag the entire game.

I mean even on the one breakaway Sid had after beating two people he took a forearm shiver by one of the d-man and still got past him and the shot off.

Yeah, it is infuriating. The thing is, it is out of the Pens' control. They need to adapt to it if they want to win. If they don't, then we end up like the SeaHag fans: bitter and whiny. I won't accept that.

#44 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (coolpapacole @ Jun 1 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it is infuriating. The thing is, it is out of the Pens' control. They need to adapt to it if they want to win. If they don't, then we end up like the SeaHag fans: bitter and whiny. I won't accept that.

Oh I certainly agree, it just pisses me off that they call this all season and now they just put the whistles away to basically everything.
5 GP

#45 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

I completely agree. I am just doing everything I can to not go the route of blaming the officials. All it does is lead to bitterness and whining, even when it is justified. The Pens need to simply start taking advantage of the way things are being (not) called. The NHL is what it is, so this isn't completely unexpected. There seems to be this idea that real men play hockey this way. Only pansies expect the rules to actually be followed.

#46 User is offline   jpbucco 

• Koveltwats Daddy
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

Agreed, we might go down.....but we SHALL NOT resort to that pathetic level.
Oh shit! There's stickers!

#47 User is offline   SyrBucco 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (u0007890 @ May 31 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really and truly, this shit is not over. They are not being outplayed, I don't give a shit what anyone says, and when a break or two and a call or two and the home crowd goes their way, it's 2-1 going to Thursday night and it will be on.

That is all true!
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe

#48 User is offline   ohio_is_for_buttlovers 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Skinny Skiing. Going to bullfights on acid.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

Alright, the pessimism from yesterday is gone. Back on home ice. Sid and Geno are pissed. White Out tonight. LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Pens in six.

#49 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

LETS FUCKING DO THIS

I really blame myself for the 2 previous losses. Throughout the playoffs, I've watched the games from my apartment (except for the game in philthy I went to) while wearing my Malkin sweater and drinking Yards IPA. For games 1 and 2 I did not. This is clearly my fault. Malkin sweater folded and waiting on my sofa, Yards IPA already in the fridge.

LETS

FUCKING

GO

#50 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09153/974336-87.stm

From the article:

It's probably no wonder Malkin went berserk on Zetterberg late in Game 2, wailing away on him and drawing an instigator penalty and game misconduct. By NHL rule, he should be suspended for Game 3 but isn't because, well, his name is Malkin and the league refuses to take its stars out of the big games for anything less than murder. You and the Penguins had better never whine again about how Washington's Alex Ovechkin wasn't suspended for that knee-on-knee hit on Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar in the second round last month.

Jesus fucking christ people, this is the third player who had his suspension rescinded by the NHL this playoff year. This is not new and not mutually exclusive to Malkin. Fuck off.
5 GP

#51 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

this is the third player who had his suspension rescinded by the NHL this playoff year.

Actually, I believe he's the fourth. Mike Komisarek had an instigator penalty in the final five minutes of a game with Boston. The rule has become a joke, and it has nothing to do with Malkin being Malkin, as Ryan Bayda and Scott Walker are far from "star players." So, yes, I agree ... Ron Cook can fuck off.

#52 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (mzimmerman81 @ Jun 2 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09153/974336-87.stm

From the article:

It's probably no wonder Malkin went berserk on Zetterberg late in Game 2, wailing away on him and drawing an instigator penalty and game misconduct. By NHL rule, he should be suspended for Game 3 but isn't because, well, his name is Malkin and the league refuses to take its stars out of the big games for anything less than murder. You and the Penguins had better never whine again about how Washington's Alex Ovechkin wasn't suspended for that knee-on-knee hit on Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar in the second round last month.

Jesus fucking christ people, this is the third player who had his suspension rescinded by the NHL this playoff year. This is not new and not mutually exclusive to Malkin. Fuck off.

After not suspending Walker, Ovechkin and then Cooke, Malkin could've impaled Zetterturd and wouldn't have been suspended. It shouldn't have been an instigator penalty anyway. 5 for fighting and a 10 misconduct sure...toss him for the remainder of the game for not having the penis strap fastened, again sure. I dont think it should've been an instigator penalty.

Ron Cook loves penis.

#53 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Also comparing it any way shape or form to what Ovechkin did is stupid, regardless of whether you think Ovalchicken deserved to be suspended or not, the two incidents aren't even close.
5 GP

#54 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

You would have to take your skate off and stab somebody with it to get suspended in the Stanley Cup Final. And even then I'm not sure the NHL would follow through with it.

#55 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (DoctorJohnnyFever @ Jun 2 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You would have to take your skate off and stab somebody with it to get suspended in the Stanley Cup Final. And even then I'm not sure the NHL would follow through with it.

after watching the first 2 games, I'd argue that you might not even draw a penalty for that.

#56 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (ecbenito @ Jun 2 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
after watching the first 2 games, I'd argue that you might not even draw a penalty for that.

Well hey, the NHL did apparently add a new rule where you can have 4 goalies in net for the playoffs without letting anyone know, so you may be on to something.

5 GP

#57 User is online   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (mzimmerman81 @ Jun 2 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also comparing it any way shape or form to what Ovechkin did is stupid, regardless of whether you think Ovalchicken deserved to be suspended or not, the two incidents aren't even close.

though technically Malkin's is the more suspendable offense since the rules say he should be suspended whereas Ovechkin's was a judgment call. But yes, comparing the two is absurde. And as DJF noted, the rule is a joke.

BTW could you imagine if the Flyers were playing the Red Wings? Granted I think the flyers DO make a lot of penalties so they aren't unfairly being targeted, but they have a point that the refs also seem more prone to call them. In contrast, the Red Wings DO make a lot of penalties but because they get the benefit of the doubt as a veteran defensive team and the penalties are of the obstruction type rather than the roughing type, they don't get called. Seriously, in a Flyers-Red Wings series it could be a 9 to 1 ratio on penalties.

You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#58 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

This Will Piss You Off

While nothing will be announced during the Stanley Cup final, unrestricted free agent Marian Hossa likely will be signing a long-term deal, believed to be seven years, to stay with the Red Wings . . .

#59 User is online   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (DoctorJohnnyFever @ Jun 2 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually, here's the annoying part:
Red Wings grinder Kirk Maltby took it even further. "This is a blueprint for how the regular season should go. They're not going back to the old rules where (there were) real dramatic hooks and holds and slingshots coming up the ice, but I think they're letting guys battle in the corners and in front of the net. As players, and hockey fans, all you ask is that it's even on both sides and (they) call it the same way."

Yeah, that's because neither team is creating penalties while battling in the corners. On the other hand one team is based on hooks and interferences (not necessarily holds which are being called) and maybe they're not called because they aren't "dramatic." This isn't meant to be complaining/pinning the losses on the refs, but non-call games are favorable to the Wings.

And has anyone used a slingshot hook in the series?

That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#60 User is offline   bucsbriana 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new camera is fantastic. I am going to get some great shots at the arena tonight.

GO PENS!

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply