• You cannot reply to this topic

Walk Off Grand Slam MLB's Only Inside the Parker Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:34 AM

POPULAR

Almost 59 years ago, baseball had its only walk off inside the park grand slam. While that is interesting in its trivia, the commentary of the day about the player, Roberto Clemente is much more interesting.

http://lithub.com/th...un-of-all-time/
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#2 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:53 AM

Great find. Thanks.

I have a question: would baseball be better for the fans if a walk advanced every runner instead of just the batter?

It would kill the intentional walk and shift the performance balance away from pitchers who walk a lot of batters, but the ball would be in the zone more often and in play more often. It would increase the value of a walk to be closer to the value of a single, which seems like it might have been the original intent of the walk anyways. I think defenders would be generally more valuable and the rate of all types of hits would presumably increase, including homeruns. It might even lead to another .400 hitter.

#3 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

View Postgahran, on 16 June 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Great find. Thanks.

I have a question: would baseball be better for the fans if a walk advanced every runner instead of just the batter?

It would kill the intentional walk and shift the performance balance away from pitchers who walk a lot of batters, but the ball would be in the zone more often and in play more often. It would increase the value of a walk to be closer to the value of a single, which seems like it might have been the original intent of the walk anyways. I think defenders would be generally more valuable and the rate of all types of hits would presumably increase, including homeruns. It might even lead to another .400 hitter.

I don't think so but it's an interesting idea. I don't agree that walks make the game boring. Putting runners on base adds to the excitement/tension of the game.

The game gets boring because of specialization (LOOGIES, situational lineups...) and managerial micro-management. Coaching visits and managerial involvement slow the game down to a ponderous level.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#4 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

Really interesting read that I never would have found on my own. Thanks for sharing.

#5 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 16 June 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Almost 59 years ago, baseball had its only walk off inside the park grand slam. While that is interesting in its trivia, the commentary of the day about the player, Roberto Clemente is much more interesting.

http://lithub.com/th...un-of-all-time/

A walkoff inside-the-park grand slam requires a more specific situation and a rarer hit than a walkoff over-the-fence grand slam, but it's still a little surprising that there has only been one.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#6 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 16 June 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

A walkoff inside-the-park grand slam requires a more specific situation and a rarer hit than a walkoff over-the-fence grand slam, but it's still a little surprising that there has only been one.

The Clemente article does a good job of illustrating racism and it is probably most prevalent kind today.

Not a grand slam and maybe not even a home run. didn't Jack Wilson make a crazy run around the bases to score winning run 5 or 6 years ago?

#7 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

View PostECBucs, on 16 June 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

The Clemente article does a good job of illustrating racism and it is probably most prevalent kind today.

Yeah, that part left me a little conflicted. On the one hand, I hate racism. On the other hand, I hate guys making outs on the basepaths too.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#8 User is offline   clemente_in_right 

• Silenced Pen
  • PipPip
  • Interests:selling paper

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the link GB21. I have Bragan's autobiography, but have not read it yet. That makes me want to read it.
In any human group, family, tribe, (or baseball team), there are norms - shared expectations of behavior. Any member who deviates from these norms calls into question the basic values of the group. And groups don't like to have their basic values questioned. It makes them nervous. - Jim Bouton in Ball Four Plus Ball Five

What about doctors who make house calls? Repairmen who know how to fix things? And ballplayers who hustle? And boxers who get carried out of the ring, instead of quitting because of stomach cramps? And what about the death penalty for scum who take a human life and snuff it out like it's so much garbage? I've seen the past, gentlemen, and it works. - William Shatner as T.J. Hooker in episode 1.1 'The Protectors'

It seems likely that removing the sense of closure from book writing will, in time, alter writer's attitudes toward their work. The pressure to achieve perfection will diminish, along with the artistic rigor that the pressure imposed. - Nicholas Carr from The Shallows

#9 User is offline   Yak 

• Lynchburg Hillcat
  • Interests:Pirates n' Nat

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

The first part was pretty good. But the author should get off his soapbox. His shit stinks too.
Uses italics.

Keep those downvotes coming, assclowns.
They reassure me that somebody cares.

#10 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 16 June 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

Yeah, that part left me a little conflicted. On the one hand, I hate racism. On the other hand, I hate guys making outs on the basepaths too.

That was kind of one of the points. Clemente, because of his skin color and birth place, was written off as someone who was more athletically gifted than mentally gifted. The author was pointing out that Clemente knew better than the cranky old white guy coaching third and that Clemente knew he wasn't going to be thrown out.

Without the racial aspect of this, we see this in today's game. The old guy (usually but not always white) manages some stupid way because he played the game (usually poorly), so he's smarter than everyone else. Truth be told, most of their teams win in spite of them, not because of them.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#11 User is offline   Yak 

• Lynchburg Hillcat

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Seriously.

Is there anybody more annoying to put up with than a self-righteous blowhard who figures that if he wraps himself in the virtue of some flag or other he can get on his soapbox pulpit and berate normal people for not being as "moral" as he is ?

(OK. A manager with chronic PMS and a guy I had to share a motel room with one weekend who had intestinal flu. But there aren't very many in their league).

Holier-than-thous (individual or collective) are a PITA.

We obviously learned nothing from Prohibition.
Uses italics.

#12 User is offline   Yak 

• Lynchburg Hillcat

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

In fairness though. Clemente was frequently guilty of Reality. He was locked into the moment. When he knew he could do something, he did it.

Baseballthink can't handle that though. Baseballthink says you always take a 3-0 pitch, even if you know it's the only good one you'll see in that AB.

Baseballthink doesn't concede that anybody can know anything -- except the manager.

Same shit in Latin America. And Mexico and Korea and Japan.

Stupidity is colorblind.
Uses italics.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic