• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Loyalty in Sports OBN Proves there isn't Any Rate Topic: -----

#41 Guest_sloshyj_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

View Postmvk112, on 11 June 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Current conditions?

The sport is awash in cash that is being shared across all teams... the Pirates are making money hand over fist in the current conditions. The franchise that these guys bought for $95M 20 years ago is worth almost 10 times that much now, and Forbes estimated them to be 5th in all of MLB in operating income last year, and middle of the pack in revenue.

And none of that is pertinent to how the Pirates' ownership makes decisions. I agree its fucked up, but the reality for a Pirates fan is that you can't shame Nutting into spending more. All the bitching and moaning about it results in nothing. It didn't seven years ago, when they sucked, and it sure as shit is meaningless now that they have the casual fans on their side.

I advocate for decisions against the backdrop of that reality. And in that reality, locking up a player for $100 million makes no sense. Not only wouldn't they do it anyways, but even if they did, it would hamstring the team. The risk that a player like McCutchen is average and earning $25 million/year at age 36 keeps me from ever wanting to see it offered.

If that makes me disloyal, so be it. I want the team to win in spite of the limitations that exist, fairly or not.

#42 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:04 PM

View Postmvk112, on 11 June 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Current conditions?

The sport is awash in cash that is being shared across all teams... the Pirates are making money hand over fist in the current conditions. The franchise that these guys bought for $95M 20 years ago is worth almost 10 times that much now, and Forbes estimated them to be 5th in all of MLB in operating income last year, and middle of the pack in revenue.

Forbes (yes, I know) estimates the team value at $900M. Nutting purchased the team for a small fraction of that. The Pirates have been in the top 5 or top 10 in operating income for the past several years. The way MLB is structured, Nutting barely has to sell a ticket to make the team a cash cow.

I'm a firmly believe that there is little or no loyalty in sports. I don't pretend otherwise, unless you want to consider that I favor the players in all aspects of collective bargaining and individual contracts. In that respect, I am completely loyal to the players.

It's the people like OBN, tim, and charlie that disgust me with their qualified loyalty. They pretend to love the team but in reality, they love the front office. Their demand of player loyalty is complete one-sided. They want players to take all the risks and all the discounts. You will constantly hear them talk about hometown discounts for a player but never consider overpaying to keep a player like McCutchen around. When the owner does nothing but grab as much of our money that he can, those pseudo fans support the owners right to make as much as he wants. Yet, when a player takes the most money available, he's greedy.

It's the hypocrisy of their so called loyalty that I'm calling out. The players are the game but they hate when a player makes as much as he can. The players are the game but they constantly root for and defend the owner.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#43 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

I wasn't aware until the other day that steve8675309 is the same guy who writes for Rollo's shitty Point of Pittsburgh website.

#44 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 11 June 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

I wasn't aware until the other day that steve8675309 is the same guy who writes for Rollo's shitty Point of Pittsburgh website.

SteveZ?
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic