• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Loyalty in Sports OBN Proves there isn't Any Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

I personally believe there is almost no loyalty in sports. OBN is proving that idea in "McCutchen is important to the Bucs future".

It's a relatively new thread but here are some of the gems that prove my point.
From our favorite dogknot:

I think it depends on where Auston Meadows is in his delevelopment too. He is the next McCutchen, right?

I am all in favor with extending McCutchen. But I don't want a $100 million contract going to waste. Not many players have lived up to that price tag yet.

IABucfan (I find the screenname ironic)

It stinks, but long term, the Pirates are probably better served by letting Cutch walk and developing the next McCutchen...hopefully, the aforementioned Austin Meadows.

Another from IABucfan

I care far more about the name on the front of the jersey than the name on the back.

This is from the board that banned people for being too critical of the team. They are fans of the team, they are fans of the front office.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#2 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

Kang blows!
I love Kang!
Cervix sucks!
I love Cervix!
AJ and Cole are not Aces!
AJ and Cole are Aces!

MLB should partner with big pharm for MLB brand meds.

#3 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

People still read OBN?
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#4 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostPF82, on 10 June 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

People still read OBN?

When you guys aren't writing often enough to keep me entertained, I lower my standards.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#5 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

IS THIS THE GAMETHREAD?

Fuck Cecil Cooper.
"Well be comfortable adding one (starter), he said. Well be comfortable adding nobody if its just not there. We dont feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, thats great. If we can add two that make sense then we do that.
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#6 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

Dogknot rarely disappoints.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#7 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

Just wow. Man, those guys are dbags...
CRIM

#8 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostCRIMHEAD, on 10 June 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

Just wow. Man, those guys are dbags...

They are, in more ways than they are displaying in this thread.

What kills me about these discussions by people who claim to be fans of the team, is that the discussion always is about the player taking the hometown discount. The discussion is always on the player showing his "loyalty" by biting the bullet and taking the financial hit.

It is never about the owner stepping up and taking the risk, never. Look at the discussion with this same sect of "fans" about Walker. These very same people are the ones who want Walker to, well walk if he isn't willing to take a lot less than he is worth.

When one asks why there is no discussion of the owner taking a risk in extending two good players, they fall back on the small market argument. If not that, they focus on the player making millions anyway. The owner will make millions anyway but no one wants to talk about that. It's like the owner earned it and the player hasn't.

As Aaron posted, for a different reason, over there, they are all drinking the Kool Aid. They've completely bought the Nutting-tim-charlie line that this is the best a small market can do. They are fans of the front office because they've sold out to them. All of them have completely forgotten that none of them has ever gone to a game or watched a game because they want to see the owner or GM. They've all forgotten that the players are the game.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#9 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:08 AM

OBN sucks, I've noticed.

#10 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 11 June 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

What kills me about these discussions by people who claim to be fans of the team, is that the discussion always is about the player taking the hometown discount. The discussion is always on the player showing his "loyalty" by biting the bullet and taking the financial hit.

It is never about the owner stepping up and taking the risk, never. Look at the discussion with this same sect of "fans" about Walker. These very same people are the ones who want Walker to, well walk if he isn't willing to take a lot less than he is worth.

When one asks why there is no discussion of the owner taking a risk in extending two good players, they fall back on the small market argument. If not that, they focus on the player making millions anyway. The owner will make millions anyway but no one wants to talk about that. It's like the owner earned it and the player hasn't.

As Aaron posted, for a different reason, over there, they are all drinking the Kool Aid. They've completely bought the Nutting-tim-charlie line that this is the best a small market can do. They are fans of the front office because they've sold out to them. All of them have completely forgotten that none of them has ever gone to a game or watched a game because they want to see the owner or GM. They've all forgotten that the players are the game.

Plus, in baseball at least, a hometown discount is built in to their structure. A team gets guys like Cutch at way below market value for 6 years before ever having to pay them fairly.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#11 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 11 June 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

It's all good. Austin Meadows is the next Andrew McCutchen because they were both first round picks out of high school.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#12 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 11 June 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

Plus, in baseball at least, a hometown discount is built in to their structure. A team gets guys like Cutch at way below market value for 6 years before ever having to pay them fairly.

A good argument but lost on them. When the system works in favor of the owners, it's fair. When the system works against them, the players are greedy.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#13 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostPenguin, on 11 June 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

It's all good. Austin Meadows is the next Andrew McCutchen because they were both first round picks out of high school.

Pretty sure they never heard of Mark Merchant.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#14 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostPenguin, on 11 June 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

What happens when they find out Austin Meadows is white?
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#15 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 11 June 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

Pretty sure they never heard of Mark Merchant.

After a quick glance at Baseball America's top 100 prospects, here are a few outfielders who cracked their top 20 from 2000-2009:

Cory Patterson
Ruben Mateo
Dee Brown
Chin-Feng Chen
Alex Escobar
Austin Kearns
Joe Borchard
Rocco Baldelli
Delmon Young
Lasting Milledge
Jeff Francoeur
Jason Kubel
Jeremy Hermida
Cameron Maybin
Chris Young
Travis Snider
Fernando Martinez

And Austin Meadows has yet to be ranked in the top 20. Sure, he could be the next Andrew McCutchen. But considering McCutchen is an elite player in the 1% of all baseball players, odds are much higher Meadows is the next Jeremy Hermida.

#16 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 11 June 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

What happens when they find out Austin Meadows is white?

Are we sure he knows Andrew McCutchen is black?

#17 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:38 AM

Austin Meadows is the next Sixto Lezcano?
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#18 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

OBN: Where prospects never fail and posters have never seen an actual vagina.

#19 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 11 June 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

OBN: Where prospects never fail and posters have never seen an actual vagina.

And when prospects do fail, it's the players' fault, not the FO.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#20 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostPenguin, on 11 June 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

After a quick glance at Baseball America's top 100 prospects, here are a few outfielders who cracked their top 20 from 2000-2009:

Cory Patterson
Ruben Mateo
Dee Brown
Chin-Feng Chen
Alex Escobar
Austin Kearns
Joe Borchard
Rocco Baldelli
Delmon Young
Lasting Milledge
Jeff Francoeur
Jason Kubel
Jeremy Hermida
Cameron Maybin
Chris Young
Travis Snider
Fernando Martinez

And Austin Meadows has yet to be ranked in the top 20. Sure, he could be the next Andrew McCutchen. But considering McCutchen is an elite player in the 1% of all baseball players, odds are much higher Meadows is the next Jeremy Hermida.

Jesus how many of those guys were Pirates at some point.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic