• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summer Vacations Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:00 AM

Because of the overflow from 95 South, it took me one hour to get 8 miles on Route 1 south on Friday afternoon.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#82 User is offline   hir51 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 14 June 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

Because of the overflow from 95 South, it took me one hour to get 8 miles on Route 1 south on Friday afternoon.

So how far south do I need to hit 95 to avoid all this shit you speak of?
Fredericksburg?
Richmond?

#83 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

Yeah I need to know too. I'm heading down to Virginia beach next Monday. I'll be leaving here around 9:00 and be in DC around 12:30.
Failure is the key to success.

#84 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 13 June 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

That never happens.

-No one ever

I have flown in and out of Philly three times in the last 14 months (I admittedly don't fly often) and haven't had an issue yet.
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#85 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 15 June 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

I have flown in and out of Philly three times in the last 14 months (I admittedly don't fly often) and haven't had an issue yet.

yeah, you probably wont have an issue when you're wearing an unaccompanied minor badge and all the employees think you're 11

#86 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

View Posthir51, on 15 June 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Fredericksburg?
Richmond?

Richmond is safest. 95S leading out of DC always sucks on Friday afternoons, throw in the summer beach traffic and yeah, 8 miles in an hour isn't unusual. US1 can't handle its normal volume anyway (the traffic lights aren't designed well). The problem is 95S loses a lane about 3 miles out of the DC beltway, and then another crossing the Occoquan River 10 miles out. These lane losses set the stage, and the Friday traffic sets the stage on fire.

Edit. Fredicksburg serves as another pressure point on I95, which is why I said Richmond.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#87 User is offline   hir51 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

View Postjcharding, on 15 June 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Richmond is safest. 95S leading out of DC always sucks on Friday afternoons, throw in the summer beach traffic and yeah, 8 miles in an hour isn't unusual. US1 can't handle its normal volume anyway (the traffic lights aren't designed well). The problem is 95S loses a lane about 3 miles out of the DC beltway, and then another crossing the Occoquan River 10 miles out. These lane losses set the stage, and the Friday traffic sets the stage on fire.

I'd be in Fredericksburg around 4pm-4:30pm Friday afternoon.
I'll play it safe and head down through Culpeper and hit 64 in Richmond.
Headed to Chesapeake for the overnight before heading into OBX early Saturday.

#88 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

View Posthir51, on 15 June 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Fredericksburg?
Richmond?

Richmond on a weekend. Otherwise Fredericksburg.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#89 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

View Postcrosscuttersno1, on 15 June 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Yeah I need to know too. I'm heading down to Virginia beach next Monday. I'll be leaving here around 9:00 and be in DC around 12:30.

If you're going to DC you're not really bypassing DC.

#90 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 15 June 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

If you're going to DC you're not really bypassing DC.

Huh? I don't need to go around DC but don't know of other options really.

#91 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

View Posthir51, on 15 June 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'd be in Fredericksburg around 4pm-4:30pm Friday afternoon.
I'll play it safe and head down through Culpeper and hit 64 in Richmond.
Headed to Chesapeake for the overnight before heading into OBX early Saturday.

#92 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

View Postjcharding, on 15 June 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Edit. Fredicksburg serves as another pressure point on I95, which is why I said Richmond.

Then you have the HOT/HOV off ramps at Quantico and then Acquia that create merge points that keep traffic slow in the local lanes down to Fredericksburg during the afternoon rush hour. If you are trying to avoid 95 southbound traffic, Richmond is the place.

If you are traveling 95 south Richmond, know you're speed. From mile marker 45 all the way to the NC border is a speed trap. They are generally set to 11 MPH over the posted speed limit.

If you are going to VA Beach this summer, you're fucked. The tunnel is always a choke point but now they are doing construction, in the typical inefficient Virginia way. There will be miles of stacked up traffic on both sides of the tunnel all summer long.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#93 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

View Postcrosscuttersno1, on 15 June 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Get an EZPass or a FlexPass if you are using 95. Use the HOT/HOV lanes to Quantico (not to Acquia). I just got back from VA Beach last night. 64 and 264 are a mess with construction. The tunnel is a bigger disaster than it usually is. Traffic backups to the tunnel can be 3-5 miles. Hit the tunnels late at night or early in the morning to miss the biggest messes.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#94 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

View Postcrosscuttersno1, on 15 June 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Huh? I don't need to go around DC but don't know of other options really.

If you are coming from the eastern half of Pa, there really aren't options.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#95 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

If the Hampton Roads Tunnel is that bad, split off on 664 and then cut through Norfolk on the highway (I think it is I-164 but I don't recall for certain). There's basically a beltway around Norfolk and while it's a bit longer, it's better then sitting in traffic for 5 miles.

#96 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 16 June 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

If the Hampton Roads Tunnel is that bad, split off on 664 and then cut through Norfolk on the highway (I think it is I-164 but I don't recall for certain). There's basically a beltway around Norfolk and while it's a bit longer, it's better then sitting in traffic for 5 miles.

We go this way to obx just to avoid the tunnel.

#97 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:03 PM

View Postcrosscuttersno1, on 16 June 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

We go this way to obx just to avoid the tunnel.

You and every high priced free agent. They really hate tunnels.

#98 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:00 AM

Hey Gobucs...the family and I are going to be in Sterling Virginia just north of Dulles Airport for a week long softball tournament. We will arrive on a Monday night and will be looking to do the touristy shit on Tuesday around DC. I figure we need to hit 267 and take that to 66. Is there any rhyme or reason for when we should leave? Or are we pretty much fucked no matter when we do it? Also is there a way we can park somewhere and take public transportation into DC to avoid the bullshit?

Later in the week we hope to meet up with some friends who live in Silver Springs. Any recommendations for restaurants between Sterling and Silver Springs?

Thanks for any help.

Shoes

#99 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:03 AM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 18 June 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

Hey Gobucs...the family and I are going to be in Sterling Virginia just north of Dulles Airport for a week long softball tournament. We will arrive on a Monday night and will be looking to do the touristy shit on Tuesday around DC. I figure we need to hit 267 and take that to 66. Is there any rhyme or reason for when we should leave? Or are we pretty much fucked no matter when we do it? Also is there a way we can park somewhere and take public transportation into DC to avoid the bullshit?

Later in the week we hope to meet up with some friends who live in Silver Springs. Any recommendations for restaurants between Sterling and Silver Springs?

Thanks for any help.

Shoes

I would take the metro. Depending on where your are in relation to Dulles, the Wiehle-Reston (Silver Line) or the Vienna (Orange Line) are probably the closest to you. Whether metro or drive, leave around 9am. If you drive you should miss a lot of the traffic on 66 by then.

The easiest touristy thing to do is the Smithsonian Museums. They are located around the mall and near the major monuments and memorials. The Air and Space museum is the most popular. My favorites are the National Museum of American History and the National Art Gallery. You can spend all day in any one of them. If you want to be outside, walk the mall and see the monuments. My personal favorite is the Korean War Memorial.

Restaurants depend on how far you want to roam from the mall in DC. In DC my wife and I like Taqueria Habanero and the Chophouse. I like the DCity Smokehouse. I've never been there but if you into subs (hoagies for Pittsburgh natives), friends recommend The Deli in Foggy Bottom. If you still want to do the touristy things while eating, there is the Old Ebbit Grill. The food is good and it's the place to be seen. It's only few blocks from the mall. There is also The Hard Rock Cafe. Personally, I don't like it but if you've been to one, you know what you are getting.

I don't get out to Reston or Silver Spring much, so I can't recommend anything out there.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#100 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:19 AM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 18 June 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

Thanks for any help.

Shoes

Tobacco - feel free to PM me if you'd like. I live in Reston and know that whole area really well. What fields are you going to be at? Give me an idea of dates and maybe we can show you around a bit.
CRIM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic