• You cannot reply to this topic

Summer Vacations Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually stuck at waikiki for much of the conference but I have a day or so at the end I can alter.

I can fly out to Maui or Kuaiui early Friday, stay that night and come back on Saturday around noon to make my 1:40pm flight to Oahu. It's only 1 day but since the Waikiki hotel is expensive, the cost doesn't matter. Is one day in Maui worth it? And what part should I stay (North Coast seems to be cheaper that Wailea which is closer to Halekala)? But if I'm using most of the day sightseeing, should I just stay at a non-beach place?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#42 User is online   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

Oh I have such fond memories of my 7 hour trip up 95 last summer from Virginia Beach to DC.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#43 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 10 June 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually stuck at waikiki for much of the conference but I have a day or so at the end I can alter.

I can fly out to Maui or Kuaiui early Friday, stay that night and come back on Saturday around noon to make my 1:40pm flight to Oahu. It's only 1 day but since the Waikiki hotel is expensive, the cost doesn't matter. Is one day in Maui worth it? And what part should I stay (North Coast seems to be cheaper that Wailea which is closer to Halekala)? But if I'm using most of the day sightseeing, should I just stay at a non-beach place?

I don't know if it's doable in 1 day, the Big Island definitely is IMO. We stayed in Ka'anapali which is right up the road from Lahaina.

#44 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

and while we're talking summer vacations, I just got my 8 days off approved and I'm going to Alaska at the end of July.

#45 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

View Postecbenito, on 10 June 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

and while we're talking summer vacations, I just got my 8 days off approved and I'm going to Alaska at the end of July.

Learn how to say, "I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today" in Eskimo.

Wait, that's something defdog would have posted. Fuckin' kill me.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#46 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostPenguin, on 10 June 2015 - 01:26 PM, said:

Learn how to say, "I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today" in Eskimo.

Wait, that's something defdog would have posted. Fuckin' kill me.

Are you saying you're sloshy?
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#47 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:41 PM

Before the glaciers are gone. Be sure to bring iodine. Blame Fukushima.

#48 User is offline   parkerbatteryday 

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:The burgeoning metropolis of North Versailles, PA....nowhere close to France

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

I agree on Hawaii. Maui is the place to be. The Road to Hana and Haleakala are musts. Maui is my favorite place in the world. And yes...Waikiki is like going to Chicago in the summer with a really nice beach. Honolulu has all the normal big city problems you want to get away from. Maui on the other hand.......paradise.....and Kauai is very nice too.....but can be a bit rainy.
"The human mind is similar to a parachute. It is used best when open"
-Frank Zappa

"Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkis."

"You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
-Frank Zappa

2014 - The Season of Greybeard
R.I.P. Grey........

#49 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 10 June 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

Oh I have such fond memories of my 7 hour trip up 95 last summer from Virginia Beach to DC.

What time of day was that?
Failure is the key to success.

#50 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

Cruise or just going?
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#51 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

View Postcrosscuttersno1, on 10 June 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

What time of day was that?

On the weekends, anytime between 10am and 9pm.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#52 User is online   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 10 June 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

On the weekends, anytime between 10am and 9pm.

Yes, I think it was a Saturday? Whatever day the World Cup final was on last year. Left Virginia Beach at around 9:30 with the full intention of driving straight home. Had to stop at my wife's aunt's condo in Alexandria to wait til dark to calm my rage at around 4:30.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#53 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:23 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 10 June 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

Yes, I think it was a Saturday? Whatever day the World Cup final was on last year. Left Virginia Beach at around 9:30 with the full intention of driving straight home. Had to stop at my wife's aunt's condo in Alexandria to wait til dark to calm my rage at around 4:30.

Next time stop here. It will cut two hours off your trip to your family's place.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#54 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:31 PM

Just decided to go to Atlanta instead of the beach (only a 4 day trip).

One day at Stone Mountain.

Next day: CNN, World of Coca-Cola, Nats at Braves

Next 2 days at Six Flags.

Have a cross country meet to attend in Pensacola in September so will spend a couple days at beach then.

We are trying to be a little conservative on trips this summer to save up for another Disney Cruise. Had a great time a couple years ago.

#55 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostECBucs, on 10 June 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Have a cross country meet to attend in Pensacola in September so will spend a couple days at beach then.

We are trying to be a little conservative on trips this summer to save up for another Disney Cruise. Had a great time a couple years ago.

We just finished a Disney Cruise.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#56 User is online   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:25 PM

View PostECBucs, on 10 June 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

I've been to the World of Coca-Cola. Beware when sampling some other countries versions of Coca-Cola.

#57 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 10 June 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

I've been to the World of Coca-Cola. Beware when sampling some other countries versions of Coca-Cola.

Chinese Coke tasted like pee.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#58 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, just got back from a week in Hilton Head and a subsequent week in Atlanta and Big Canoe, GA. Big Canoe was decently nice I must say, but it's fairly lame compared to a place like HHI. The traffic wasn't bad for going south out of DC. Slow, but steady until Richmond. That doesn't happen often, but I think we got out of here on Friday morning just early enough.

GoBucs isn't exaggerating about DC traffic. It's just horrendous. The trip now from Alexandria up through Maryland on 495 is almost as bad as that BWI to Tysons stretch in the afternoon. Hotlanes have helped a bit, but it still doesn't help you get through Maryland.
CRIM

#59 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostPF82, on 10 June 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

Chinese Coke tasted like pee.

hmmm, is it possible they play joke?

#60 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

View Postjcharding, on 10 June 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

Cruise or just going?

just going, have a friend that works for an environmental company out there with a really cool job, she tracks the salmon migrations, weights them, puts locator tags on them etc. I'm going to miss the salmon run since I couldn't get the time off work and I really wanted to fish that. Still can probably make a good halibut charter. Just going to do a lot of hiking and probably ocean kayaking, I'll probably go to Denali as well.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic