• You cannot reply to this topic

Summer Vacations Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

View PostCobra, on 21 May 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

Hate to challenge GoBucs here, but this is a bit overblown. I live in DC and visit my father in Pittsburgh once or twice each summer. We drive back on Sundays, leaving Pittsburgh around 10:00 am. We go the straight route ---- PA turnpike to I-70 to I-270. Breezewood can be a pain, but the trip usually takes four to four-and-half hours. I admit that we usually take Friday off and get an early jump on the weekend traffic out of DC.

I-68 to I-70 is smooth, but it's much longer and in my experience not worth the extra miles.

I'm only speaking to south of DC, basically Springfield interchange and south. I'm not as familiar with the traffic patterns North of the beltway heading to PA. If you think it's over blown coming south of DC, come visit me any Friday afternoon until Labor Day. If you make it in less than a hour from DC after 2pm, I will buy you a case of your favorite beer.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#22 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

Actually I just remembered last summer we hit some bad traffic on a Saturday afternoon between Fredericksburg and Richmond on the way down as well. We ended up going west on I-64 out of Richmond and catching 522 down there and taking that up through Culpeper on the way home.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#23 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostPF82, on 21 May 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

Actually I just remembered last summer we hit some bad traffic on a Saturday afternoon between Fredericksburg and Richmond on the way down as well. We ended up going west on I-64 out of Richmond and catching 522 down there and taking that up through Culpeper on the way home.

Weekends are fucked up on 95 south of DC. It's fucking disaster because this state is so fucking gerrymandered. Out in bumfuck VA, they have plenty of roadway bandwidth. But those of us who pay the freight for the state get fucked.

If 95 is fucked, just forget RT 1, it will be equally fucked. Just as you get going in Prince William County, the poorly timed lights will ensure traffic slows to a crawl. I swear that lights in Prince William County are times so that you hit four out of five of them red. If you are looking for alternate route to 95, go west of 95.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#24 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostCobra, on 21 May 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

Hate to challenge GoBucs here, but this is a bit overblown. I live in DC and visit my father in Pittsburgh once or twice each summer. We drive back on Sundays, leaving Pittsburgh around 10:00 am. We go the straight route ---- PA turnpike to I-70 to I-270. Breezewood can be a pain, but the trip usually takes four to four-and-half hours. I admit that we usually take Friday off and get an early jump on the weekend traffic out of DC.

I-68 to I-70 is smooth, but it's much longer and in my experience not worth the extra miles.

Have not done this for a couple years but I would usually get off turnpike in Bedford and miss breezewood. May take a few minutes longer but there is little chance of a back up.

#25 User is online   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

An increasingly bad stretch of road for the Pittsburgh to DC route is essentially all of I-70 between the 68/70 merge and the connection to I-270. I frequently (and that rate is increasing) have to bail onto anything available. Sometimes you can make it to the I-66 connection without wishing you had a bazooka attached to your roof, but sometimes you can't even make it that far.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#26 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

if you people think the drive from Pittsburgh to DC is bad, you haven't seen shit. Try taking 95 from Philadelphia to DC. the traffic outside of Baltimore on 95 is the 5th level of hell

#27 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

The wife, daughter and I are going to Ireland for the first part of June. Our airline tickets from Harrisburg-->Philly-->Shannon were cheaper than flying just from Philly--> Shannon. Same flight from Philly, but we saved $150/ticket and get to leave from an airport 15 minutes from our house.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#28 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:30 AM

View Postecbenito, on 22 May 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

if you people think the drive from Pittsburgh to DC is bad, you haven't seen shit. Try taking 95 from Philadelphia to DC. the traffic outside of Baltimore on 95 is the 5th level of hell

Never do it. Amtrak when it stays on the tracks is pretty good.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#29 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 22 May 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

Never do it. Amtrak when it stays on the tracks is pretty good.

meh, it derails north of where I would get off anyway. fucking Mr. Glass
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

View Postcogitobsw, on 22 May 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

The wife, daughter and I are going to Ireland for the first part of June. Our airline tickets from Harrisburg-->Philly-->Shannon were cheaper than flying just from Philly--> Shannon. Same flight from Philly, but we saved $150/ticket and get to leave from an airport 15 minutes from our house.

Let me know how it goes. We are looking at going to Ireland and Scotland next year.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#31 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

View Postcogitobsw, on 22 May 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

I'd love to know how airlines arrive at their pricing models. I used to have to go to Seattle about once a year, and the cost to fly directly on USAir from PGH was usually about $500 more than it was if I originated in Erie or Clarksburg and connected in PGH.

#32 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

I'm coming to Pittsburgh for my cousins wedding July 30th or 31st. Something like that. So which one of you faggEts wants to find some thai lady-boy hookers and cobra whiskey, do this shit proper.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#33 User is online   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

View Postecbenito, on 22 May 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

I must just be lucky on that one, I do the NYC to DC trip a lot and usually don't have trouble on that stretch. I will say avoid the Baltimore-Washington parkway - essentially all the time. Its no longer a viable route - probably due to the rise of GPS assisted trips which choose it as the primary route over I-95.

The I-70 problem jumps up and bites everyone because they aren't expecting it. It's a totally rural area, but during peak periods it's frequently a parking lot. No construction or anything else. Just volume and frustration. The reverse, DC to Pittsburgh is always fine. Its just coming into DC. It's almost always the worst traffic portion of the trip, and its a relatively recent phenomenon. I don't remember it existing 15 years ago, but maybe I was just lucky with that as well.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#34 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 22 May 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

I'd love to know how airlines arrive at their pricing models. I used to have to go to Seattle about once a year, and the cost to fly directly on USAir from PGH was usually about $500 more than it was if I originated in Erie or Clarksburg and connected in PGH.

I've heard that it has to do with subsidies smaller/regional airports receive to incentivize travel to/from them.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#35 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 22 May 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

yeah, sometimes it makes no sense. I flew direct from Newark to Oahu and it was about $500 cheaper than the same flight, same airline, same time of day from PHL. Conversely flying from PHL to Jamaica was $650 cheaper than the same flight, airline and time of day from Newark. Either way I usually lose because I actually have to go to Philadelphia or Newark.

#36 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 22 May 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

Let me know how it goes. We are looking at going to Ireland and Scotland next year.

Will do. I'm pretty excited. If you're planning to do both Ireland and Scotland, you'll probably need a month. We're going for 10 days. We're just doing the south and west coast of Ireland, not going to Dublin at all, and I still feel like we won't have enough time.

Of course we are planning it as a relaxing trip as well as tourism. Not planning a lot each day, scheduling down time, etc.

The first day will be a bit of a grind. We land at 8:30 a.m. and are planning to drive 1.5 hours to the Rock of Cashel, then another hour to Blarney Castle, then and hour to our B&B. After flying all night, I'm sure 2/3rd of us will be in tears at some point. But after we get that cheesy stuff out of the way, we'll mostly be in the country. 2 Nights in Kinsale, 1 night in Kenmare, then 3 nights in Dingle and 3 nights in Galloway. The first two stops are at B&Bs, but the places we're staying in Dingle and Galloway are pretty tricked out.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#37 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

hey look, a travel thread! I was wondering where to put this...

I'm heading to Hawaii in a couple days. For those of you that travel a lot is it worth it to get wifi for a 6hr flight? (U000, I know you mentioned using it in the past). After having gone some long 20+ hour flights in the past, 6 hrs seems like nothing. Hell I might sleep right through it. But now that I have a tablet and can stream from my tivo/amazon prime, does it work well enough to be worth it or is it only going to be useful for posting on CIA?

Anyway, first time going to Hawaii. Going for a conference so some short work time and then a bunch of vacation time. There's going to be about 8 pretty good friends (and another group of people I know from work) so it should be decent. The good thing about that is one of them is a planner which helps. I think I made some pro moves as well, instead of staying at the conference hotel in Honolulu, I picked a beach resort for a little more just a little further down the road. Seemed like a no brainer to stay at a place where I could get a drink and walk right out onto the beach. I also got some advice to buy a snorkeling kit ahead of time and take it rather than rent. I think we have tentative plans to go snorkeling, go to the pearl harbor stuff, fly to the big island and stay at Volcano, and maybe some other stuff. Anyone travel there often with any last minute must do suggestions?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#38 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 10 June 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

I'm heading to Hawaii in a couple days. For those of you that travel a lot is it worth it to get wifi for a 6hr flight? (U000, I know you mentioned using it in the past). After having gone some long 20+ hour flights in the past, 6 hrs seems like nothing. Hell I might sleep right through it. But now that I have a tablet and can stream from my tivo/amazon prime, does it work well enough to be worth it or is it only going to be useful for posting on CIA?

Anyway, first time going to Hawaii. Going for a conference so some short work time and then a bunch of vacation time. There's going to be about 8 pretty good friends (and another group of people I know from work) so it should be decent. The good thing about that is one of them is a planner which helps. I think I made some pro moves as well, instead of staying at the conference hotel in Honolulu, I picked a beach resort for a little more just a little further down the road. Seemed like a no brainer to stay at a place where I could get a drink and walk right out onto the beach. I also got some advice to buy a snorkeling kit ahead of time and take it rather than rent. I think we have tentative plans to go snorkeling, go to the pearl harbor stuff, fly to the big island and stay at Volcano, and maybe some other stuff. Anyone travel there often with any last minute must do suggestions?

Pearl Harbor is awesome and do the tour of the Battleship Missouri. I hate Waikiki and stayed up on the north shore when I was there which was awesome because it was really quiet. Sunset beach was only about 5 minutes from the hotel. You're a runner right? Do the Diamond Head trail, it's pretty amazing. the Big Island is awesome, if you're into coffee go to Kona and check out the plantations, you'll have the best coffee outside of Blue Mountain in Jamaica. Also there is a Kona Brew Pub about 10 minutes up the road.

#39 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 10 June 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

I usually get the wifi for flights that long, but I use it on my laptop so I can save my iPad for watching videos I have recorded.

Do Pearl Harbor, but go the first morning you are there...you'll be up really early since it's 6 hours behind, and you need to get there no later than 8:00 or you'll wait hours to get out to the monument. Hiking Diamondhead is cool, but that's another "do it early" thing.

Honestly, Waikiki sucks otherwise...too crowded, overrun with Japanese tourists, and the beaches are small...staying on the north shore is a vastly better experience. The best thing I've done in Hawaii is on Maui - you get up at 2:00 AM and go watch the sunrise on Haleakala, then bike down...absolutely amazing experience. Maui and Kauai are both way better than Oahu (those are the 2 islands we're hitting when we go this summer), and if you're going to be on either, let me know and I can give you a lot of recommendations.

#40 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 10 June 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

I usually get the wifi for flights that long, but I use it on my laptop so I can save my iPad for watching videos I have recorded.

Do Pearl Harbor, but go the first morning you are there...you'll be up really early since it's 6 hours behind, and you need to get there no later than 8:00 or you'll wait hours to get out to the monument. Hiking Diamondhead is cool, but that's another "do it early" thing.

Honestly, Waikiki sucks otherwise...too crowded, overrun with Japanese tourists, and the beaches are small...staying on the north shore is a vastly better experience. The best thing I've done in Hawaii is on Maui - you get up at 2:00 AM and go watch the sunrise on Haleakala, then bike down...absolutely amazing experience. Maui and Kauai are both way better than Oahu (those are the 2 islands we're hitting when we go this summer), and if you're going to be on either, let me know and I can give you a lot of recommendations.

sunrise and sunset on Haleakala are both incredible. a bit of advice for the sunset, take beers with you. the road to Hana is pretty epic as well, but that's absolutely a full day event. Waikiki is one of the worst things on the planet. Imagine a gigantic shopping mall at christmas time crossed with times square on new year's eve but it's nothing but Japanese tourists and that's Waikiki.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic