• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summer Vacations Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

If you are driving through the DC area this summer for your vacation, especially from Thursday night to Sunday night, do it very early in the morning or very late at night. If you going south on 95 from DC or Maryland, you can expect to sit in traffic for two hours or more from Springfield to Fredericksburg VA from noon to 9pm. Without traffic, that is about a 40 minute drive (or less). Traffic beyond Fredericksburg to Richmond will be slow through about 9pm. On Sundays, just reverse the trip but the times stay the same. I can't recommend enough that if you are going to any of the VA, NC, or SC beaches this summer, avoid driving through the DC area on the weekends. If you must drive through here, add 4 to 5 hours on to any driving estimate you get.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#2 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

If you're going from Pittsburgh, get off the turnpike at Breezewood and go get on I-70. Take it to I-81 and then hit I-66. Get off on Rt 17 and take that to Fredericksburg and get on I-95 there.

#3 User is online   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

My family will be down in Leesburg VA this July for a softball tournament for my daughter. Heading down from NJ we will be sure to stay clear of the DC area. We may go into DC for the obligatory tourist crap once or twice. Yay.

Shoes

#4 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 21 May 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

If you're going from Pittsburgh, get off the turnpike at Breezewood and go get on I-70. Take it to I-81 and then hit I-66. Get off on Rt 17 and take that to Fredericksburg and get on I-95 there.

This. Although I think you meant to include getting off I-70 onto US 522 and take that to I-81 (via Rt 37 Winchester bypass). Although that stretch of US 17 going into Fredericksburg has gotten kinda bad as well, and has been under various states of construction the last couple of years. My advice is not to get into the far right line for I-95 S until you absolutely have to.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#5 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Alternate route: take parkway to airport. Get on plane. Drink. Get off plane. Take cab to destination.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#6 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

So Pittsburgh and DC traffic suck...so the norm

#7 User is online   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

I will be in DC twice in the upcoming weeks, thanks for the heads up
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#8 User is offline   hir51 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

Thanks all.

Heading to OBX this summer. This information will be very helpful.

#9 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostPF82, on 21 May 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

This. Although I think you meant to include getting off I-70 onto US 522 and take that to I-81 (via Rt 37 Winchester bypass). Although that stretch of US 17 going into Fredericksburg has gotten kinda bad as well, and has been under various states of construction the last couple of years. My advice is not to get into the far right line for I-95 S until you absolutely have to.

True, though 522 can be slow going through Berkeley Springs. The absolute fastest way is to go to Cumberland, Maryland via either 79 to 68 or using 40 or some other combination. Then get off the Industrial Blvd Exit and 51 into WV - turns into Rt 9. Then that hooks up with Rt 127 (I think that's the number), which runs into 522 south of the Berkeley Springs mess.

#10 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 21 May 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

True, though 522 can be slow going through Berkeley Springs. The absolute fastest way is to go to Cumberland, Maryland via either 79 to 68 or using 40 or some other combination. Then get off the Industrial Blvd Exit and 51 into WV - turns into Rt 9. Then that hooks up with Rt 127 (I think that's the number), which runs into 522 south of the Berkeley Springs mess.

It is, but that's a pretty rough ride. Very windy. But have taken it many times.

I'm headed south tomorrow so wish me luck. Try and scoot around 95 a bit, but there's not much I can do about it. With two kids, I'm not getting out half as early as I'd like, that's for sure.
CRIM

#11 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

I hear trains are a pretty good way to go.
Get it?

#12 User is online   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

If you are going to Cleveland - take the nearest exit, turn around, and go the hell home.

#13 User is online   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

View Posthir51, on 21 May 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

Thanks all.

Heading to OBX this summer. This information will be very helpful.

Try to avoid going over the bridge to OBX any time after 9:00AM if you have a weekly rental that starts on a Saturday. Everyone else has the same thing and is trying to get there. I stay overnight just outside that area then hop over the bridge early in the AM. That bridge is a raging clusterfuck after 9:00 AM Saturday.

Shoes

#14 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

This.

I-79 to I-68 to I-70 is relatively stress-free route to Baltimore, too.

#15 User is offline   hir51 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

68 and 40 are both basically my backyard. That's the way I'll be heading.

#16 User is offline   hir51 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 21 May 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Try to avoid going over the bridge to OBX any time after 9:00AM if you have a weekly rental that starts on a Saturday. Everyone else has the same thing and is trying to get there. I stay overnight just outside that area then hop over the bridge early in the AM. That bridge is a raging clusterfuck after 9:00 AM Saturday.

Shoes

I'm debating this. I can get in there early (I'd be leaving just after dinner) and be tired as fuck while trying to wait out my 4pm check-in. I booked in January and the early 1pm checkins were no longer available.

OR I could lolly-gag into town around 4pm and just go about my day. I'll sit in a bunch of traffic before the bridge but I'm taking two cars. The kids will be in the car with my wife and father-in-law. I'll be with luggage. What's the lesser of two evils?

#17 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

Hate to challenge GoBucs here, but this is a bit overblown. I live in DC and visit my father in Pittsburgh once or twice each summer. We drive back on Sundays, leaving Pittsburgh around 10:00 am. We go the straight route ---- PA turnpike to I-70 to I-270. Breezewood can be a pain, but the trip usually takes four to four-and-half hours. I admit that we usually take Friday off and get an early jump on the weekend traffic out of DC.

I-68 to I-70 is smooth, but it's much longer and in my experience not worth the extra miles.

#18 User is online   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

View Posthir51, on 21 May 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

I'm debating this. I can get in there early (I'd be leaving just after dinner) and be tired as fuck while trying to wait out my 4pm check-in. I booked in January and the early 1pm checkins were no longer available.

OR I could lolly-gag into town around 4pm and just go about my day. I'll sit in a bunch of traffic before the bridge but I'm taking two cars. The kids will be in the car with my wife and father-in-law. I'll be with luggage. What's the lesser of two evils?

Well you've already won 9/10ths of the battle by NOT being in the car with the wife, kids and father in law. Well played sir. Have them get there early and spend the morning/early afternoon at the beach. You hang back. Have a beer. Maybe go to a strip club. Get some blow. Then go over the bridge whenever the fuck you feel like it.

Shoes

#19 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostCRIMHEAD, on 21 May 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

It is, but that's a pretty rough ride. Very windy. But have taken it many times.

I'm headed south tomorrow so wish me luck. Try and scoot around 95 a bit, but there's not much I can do about it. With two kids, I'm not getting out half as early as I'd like, that's for sure.

Go as early as you can. Most of the schools around here will be on a half day schedule and the federal government will implement the 59 minute rule.

95S was awful today at 330pm. Tomorrow is will be worse earlier.

If you don't have an EZpass get one. You can at least avoid the slow downs through Quantico.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#20 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

If I lived closer to 79 Id probably go that way. The worst traffic Ive hit in Berkley Springs has usually been when the schools get out in the afternoon (when Ive traveled that way for work). Nowadays I'm only traveling that way during Christmas or the summer and haven't had any major issues.

What they really need is a I-70 to I-81 spur from Big Pool to Martinsburg. Unfortunately that cuts eifht through a big mountain ridge.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic