• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pens offseason thread Might as well... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

I still think with the core of this team, they could be the best team in hockey next year. I also don't think I'd axe Johnston.

But they've gotta be smarter about how they fill out this roster. In particular, they have to move Scuderi or drop him. They also cannot allocate that much money to guys like Spaling and Sutter.

But when you've got Letang, Maata, Sid, Geno, Hornqvist, and Flower, yes Flower coming back...mix in all the young guys that should've been on this team from the get go...and try to move some other salary...we could,be really good.

But I think Jimmy Boy needs to go.
CRIM

#2 User is offline   ohio_is_for_buttlovers 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Skinny Skiing. Going to bullfights on acid.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

The roster looks like this going into the offseason:

Kunitz-Crosby-?
Perron-Malkin-Hornquist
Spaling-Sutter-Dupuis?
? ? Bennett

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-Cole
Scuderi-Lovejoy-Doumalin

Fleury
?

Dupuis is a huge question mark. Hopefully he can come back but in a third line role. Martin and Ehrhoff are the big free agents. It would be nice to bring Martin back and then ditch Scuderi and Lovejoy. I think Doumalin has earned a shot to start with the big club. Filling the 4th line should be easy but who fills the top 6 role? Is Justin Williams an option? That guy is as clutch as they come in the playoffs.

#3 User is offline   buccobenny 

• Collegiate Star

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I feel like you almost have to have another big Front Office/ Behind the bench shake up. Rutherford should have never gotten the job in the first place, and not only did he make us worse than we were last year he also negatively impacted us down the road by giving away another 1st round pick as well as that abortion Despres trade. The having to play with 5 Dmen the last 10 games of the year was flat out an embarrassment of mis-management.

I also feel Johnston should be sent packing. By all accounts he seems like a decent guy and is probably a great juniors/ minors coach, but is woefully befuddled behind an NHL bench. I'm not pinning this year's failures on him per se, just he's not the right guy for this team. I might be wrong, but I've thought since before he got hired Johnston was going to be nothing more than a year stopgap until they could make a run at Babcock. I believe you need a guy LIKE Babcock to command respect and hold everyone in the room accountable. Crosby, as great as he is, needs to resign his role as head coach and buy into a coach and a system. Babcock might be the only guy at this point that Sid buys into.

As far as the roster goes obviously there will be massive changes as well. You have to think that no one at this point is going to willing to take on the anchors formerly known as Scuderi and Kunitz. Similarly I can't see us unloading GMJR's folly Rev. Lovejoy. But, however it happens we have to clear cap space and add scoring up front. A lot easier said than done, but it's something that has to be done.

I'm viewing EVERYTHING that has happened since we blew the 3-1 series lead to the Rangers last year as a bad dream, and this time after we hit the reset button we'll be moving forward with a competent, non-geriatric GM. A coach who doesn't always have a "How in the hell did I get myself into this mess" look on his face behind the bench. And a roster that has 2 of the best players in the world that can actually score more than 1 goal a game. I'm going to pretend this whole last calender year was a Penguins fans version of that season of Dallas that was all just a bad dream and never really happened.

#4 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:36 PM

How long has Rossi had this column canned, 6 months?

http://triblive.com/...y-malkin-hockey
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#5 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:38 PM

I think you can add Kapanen and Sundqvist to that roster.

I actually have no problems with Lovejoy at 1.1M. I also think giving Dumoulin a shot is a no-brainer. Moving Scuderi is such a no-brainer. That being said, I don't think we should hesitate to look at some of the FA defensemen.

If we want a better winger, though, thinking we will have to make a deal, as the FA market is pretty weak.
CRIM

#6 User is offline   buccobenny 

• Collegiate Star

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:44 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 24 April 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

Whoever is fired/ hired can we PLEASE give an exclusive off season interview to him so I don't have to be subjected to another year of Bitch Tits Rossi crying ever again???

#7 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:33 PM

Give Johnston another year. Get younger, faster and more skilled up front. Hope your defensemen can actually stay healthy.

#8 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:21 AM

Rob Rossi is nothing more than a cunt gossip reporter and that's all he ever will be at this point. Fuck him he's a faggEt.

#9 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostNYPirate, on 24 April 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

I give it a week and his already written OMG TRADE MALKIN column gets published

#10 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 24 April 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

Give Johnston another year. Get younger, faster and more skilled up front. Hope your defensemen can actually stay healthy.

you know, for as much as I bashed Johnston, I'm fine with giving him another year. He made more adjustments and showed more in this Rangers series than Dan Bylsma did in the last 5 playoffs combined. He actually adjusted to how the rangers were playing, made changes and completely took away their speed through the neutral zone not to mention he was playing with Paul Martin and a bunch of guys that either dont' have the talent or were playing in the AHL 2 weeks ago. Unless someone like Mike Babcock knocks on the door and absolutely wants the job, I'm fine sticking with Johnston.

Rutheford has to go. The Lovejoy trade is honestly one of the worst hockey trades I've seen in a long time both in terms of the player you got, the player you gave up and how it completely fucked the salary cap. The roster needs another major overhaul and I don't want Rutheford in charge of that. They have to find a way to shed the dead weight contracts (Kunitz, Sutter, Scuderi and hope Dupuis can get Prongered for the rest of his) they need to find a 3rd line, 2 top 6 wings, another top 4 dman (I'm assuming that they're going to lose Martin and Erhoff) and some depth. l'm hoping that Kapanen and Sundqvist can come in and contribute next year, but that's never a guarantee. I wouldn't mind seeing Comeau come back, but he's completely miscast as a wing for Malkin or Crosby, he's a nice 3rd line guy. Hopefully this is the last we'll ever see of Craig Adams.

#11 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

oh yeah and whoever is in charge of the powerplay (Tocchet I believe) needs to be fucking shot. there is absolutely no excuse for a power play with Crosby, Malkin, Horqvist and Letang (before he was hurt) to be that fucking inept. Either the players aren't listening to your plan or your plan is on a defdogian level of stupid. Either way a change needs to be made.

mad fucking props to Marc Andre Fleury. There were a couple soft goals in the series, but if it wasn't for him the Penguins get their dicks kicked in and are probably done in 4. He made a huge turnaround this season.

#12 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

I agree with the assessment of the coach. I'm not a fan and thinks he didn't work the refs enough and is horrible at line changes but he was able to win when the defense was healthy. That being said if they can get Babcock then do it.

I actually like how Rutherford built the team other than that shitty Despres trade. But that alone might be enough to get rid of him. Hell at this point there not much he has to do other than wait for the team to get healthy. The only big decision is of they try to get Ehrhof or Martin back. I like both but if they can get the same deal for Ehrhof that's probably the best to go.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#13 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Dejan says that Morehouse told him last night that both Rutherford and Johnston will be back. FWIW.

#14 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 25 April 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

Dejan says that Morehouse told him last night that both Rutherford and Johnston will be back. FWIW.

Yeah, but dejan is basically on the team payroll and will say whatever morehouse tells him

#15 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

http://fivethirtyeig...or-an-nhl-team/

Interesting piece on the idea of an NHL team in Las Vegas. While I get what Bettman has hoped to accomplish with all of the warm-weather expansion, it's really telling that franchises in Miami and Phoenix and Raleigh flounder while a far smaller market like Winnipeg is booming. If they expand and don't put a team in Quebec City, that'll be a terrible mistake.

#16 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

View Postecbenito, on 25 April 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

Yeah, but dejan is basically on the team payroll and will say whatever morehouse tells him

Oh, absolutely...he's clearly decided that cozying up to the Pirates and Penguins is his ticket and his columns on both are so heavily slanted in a pro-management perspective, they are hard to take seriously. That said, I don't think he'd repeatedly say this if it wasn't likely to happen as he'd look like an idiot if they get canned.

#17 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

All they need is 6 healthy puck moving defensemen who never screw up in their own end, 9 fast, skilled, goal-scoring forwards and a fourth line that can shut down anyone but makes league minimum.
It's easy if you find a gm who wins every trade and never gives out a bad contract.
There's also absolutely no reason to ever deviate from your coaches "style". The coach shouldn't have to be bothered with mundane matters like coming up with a gameplan that might actually succeed. There's no value in playing a 1996 style of play, even when the refs are calling penalties just like they did in 1996.

#18 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

@ASaunders_PSN: #Pens UFAs: Greiss, Martin, Ehrhoff, Chorney, Comeau, Downie, Winnik, Adams, Lapierre, Ebbett, Megna

RFAs: Bennett, Cole, Dumoulin, Wilson

#19 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 25 April 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

That's a shame. I wonder what the excuses will be when they get bounced in the first round again.
Utah, get me two.

#20 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

Aren't Ehrhoff's concussion issues a bit concerning? Unless the market for defensemen is thin, is it wise to throw money at a guy with that kind of injury history?

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic