• Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

I love shitbird season!

#3 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

It's not a good thing that a 25 year old is starting for Altoona on opening day.
Utah, get me two.

#4 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 09 April 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

It's not a good thing that a 25 year old is starting for Altoona on opening day.

That has nothing to do with anything, these rotations are just based on the pitchers schedules. I don't think being the #1 starter at any minor league level is an indication of prospect status.

Especially when Tyler Glasnow is on the same roster.

#5 User is offline   Dave Kerwin 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

Well slap my ass and call me a shitbird. Thanks as always, aso.

I really hope Kingham adds some K's to what he did in AAA last year and takes lockes spot before too long.

#6 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

View Postaso513, on 09 April 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

That has nothing to do with anything, these rotations are just based on the pitchers schedules. I don't think being the #1 starter at any minor league level is an indication of prospect status.

Especially when Tyler Glasnow is on the same roster.

Ok then, It's not a good thing when Tyler Glasnow is the only real prospect in Altoona's rotation.
Utah, get me two.

#7 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 09 April 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

Ok then, It's not a good thing when Tyler Glasnow is the only real prospect in Altoona's rotation.

Hmmm. Looks like Glasnow is pitching Saturday here in Harrisburg. I might head down to the game if the weather clears up. Who else should I pay attention to on Altoona's Roster? Josh Bell, Stetson Allie, Willy Garcia, ?
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#8 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

View Postcogitobsw, on 09 April 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

Hmmm. Looks like Glasnow is pitching Saturday here in Harrisburg. I might head down to the game if the weather clears up. Who else should I pay attention to on Altoona's Roster? Josh Bell, Stetson Allie, Willy Garcia, ?

Bell is the one I'm following.

On the freak show side, Tim Alderson is pitching for Harrisburg now, as is Bryce Harper's brother.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#9 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 09 April 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

Bell is the one I'm following.

On the freak show side, Tim Alderson is pitching for Harrisburg now, as is Bryce Harper's brother.

Despite living less than a mile from their stadium, I don't really know anything about the Senators players. I usually try to go to games when the Curve are in town. Otherwise it's mostly just about being at the ball park.

I also like to enjoy their post-game fireworks from my boat.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#10 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

View Postcogitobsw, on 09 April 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

Despite living less than a mile from their stadium, I don't really know anything about the Senators players. I usually try to go to games when the Curve are in town. Otherwise it's mostly just about being at the ball park.

I also like to enjoy their post-game fireworks from my boat.

Braggart

#11 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

Getting back to the original question: why should you follow the prospects? If you’re a Pirates fan, then you’re not going to be fully informed about how this organization operates if you don’t follow the farm system. The Pirates put a huge focus on their farm system, and so should you. And the best way to follow the farm system is by subscribing to and reading Pirates Prospects.

#12 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

POPULAR

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 09 April 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

Getting back to the original question: why should you follow the prospects? If you’re a Pirates fan, then you’re not going to be fully informed about how this organization operates if you don’t follow the farm system. The Pirates put a huge focus on their farm system, and so should you. And the best way to follow the farm system is by subscribing to and reading Pirates Prospects.

Seeing him beg people to pay for his website will never get old.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#13 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

It doesn't get at cost/benefit for me.

His site most certainly isn't the only way to follow the Pirates' minor leaguers. Since it isn't the only way, he has to make it the clear best way to follow the Pirates minor league happenings.

That's where his site fails. His writing isn't great. It's easy to tell that he's parroting what he's heard. Since he heard it for free, there's a strong likelihood that we can find it for free. As I've shown in another post, his stories aren't all the different from charlie's site and charlie isn't focused on the minors. I can find a lot of very similar information and certainly enough to satisfy my needs on the Pirates minor league system without paying for tim's site.

tim simply isn't presenting a compelling case as to why I should part with my money for his service. The Pirate focus isn't a reason for me to pay for his services. Honestly, the Pirates focus have no bearing on why anyone should pay for his service. I really doubt that Pirates' focus is any different than any other team. Their minor league strategy may be different but the focus is probably the same. No team ignores its minor league development.

Both arguments, not being fully informed and not understanding the Pirates' focus are somewhat of an insult to the potential customer. Can you imagine Ford selling cars by stating, "If you don't a Ford, you just don't understand cars?"

tim's market approach is awful and confused. He obviously doesn't know how to market his product. He has to demonstrate what he has to offer is of high quality and how it's different and better than what a customer can get elsewhere. Customers don't care about the Pirates focus, or how hard people are working, or even if they need to be informed. They want to know if his service will provide quality for cost and will bring more enjoyment to them.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#14 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 09 April 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Soon to be 26 year old Jordan Steranka may it may not be starting for Bradenton.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, I’m not sure they would have “won” the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#15 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

Well… I sure hope SOMEbody will be paying that $2.99/month (less than a cup of coffee!) and pasting the articles here, so we can all be fully informed. Otherwise, I can't see this thread getting past a page or two.
Get it?

#16 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

Early returns on minor league opening day:

Kingham: 4 innings, three hits, no runs, three strikeouts.

Dickson got shelled.

Cole Tucker is 2-2 with a run scored, and Tito Polo is 1-1 with an rbi double. Barnett Barnes hasn't pulled a hamstring yet and is 2-2. Josh Bell has a hit and a walk. Meadows is leading off at Bradenton and is 0-3. Allie is 0-2 with two whiffs.

By the way, no one's mentioned it yet, but Conner Joe is still injured and is in extended spring training.

#17 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

Nick Kingham gives up a HR to Michael Martinez

#18 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Tito Fucking Polo.
Utah, get me two.

#19 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

How much is it to read this thread? I feel like I'm following the Pirates' minor leagues based on the team's focus on the minors. More importantly, I believe I'm pretty fucking informed.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#20 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

View PostCobra, on 09 April 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

Early returns on minor league opening day:

Kingham: 4 innings, three hits, no runs, three strikeouts.

Dickson got shelled.

Cole Tucker is 2-2 with a run scored, and Tito Polo is 1-1 with an rbi double. Barnett Barnes hasn't pulled a hamstring yet and is 2-2. Josh Bell has a hit and a walk. Meadows is leading off at Bradenton and is 0-3. Allie is 0-2 with two whiffs.

By the way, no one's mentioned it yet, but Conner Joe is still injured and is in extended spring training.

Should I feel guilty for not paying $2.99 for this?

Because I don't.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, I’m not sure they would have “won” the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

Share this topic:

• 93 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic