• 31 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Ex-Pirates Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:02 AM

This will probably get lost, but it seemed like a good idea to have a thread where we can discuss how ex-Pirates are doing around baseball rather than just tossing it into random game threads.

Here are a couple:

@MLBRosterMoves: .@Phillies select the contracts of RHP Jeanmar Gomez and LHP Cesar Jimenez.

@MLBRosterMoves: .@Mariners sign LHP Joe Beimel to @MiLB deal.

#2 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

@DOBrienAJC: It will indeed be Pedro Ciriaco in that last Braves bench spot.

#3 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

Any Henry Henry updates?
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#4 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

Rudy Owens was traded today from the A's to the Dodgers. LHB's boy Robbie Grossman is the only player from the Wandy deal still on the Astros.

#5 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 05 April 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Rudy Owens was traded today from the A's to the Dodgers. LHB's boy Robbie Grossman is the only player from the Wandy deal still on the Astros.

"That's a strawman argument."

--tWTM
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#6 Guest_blurjose_*

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

Former Sun Devil infielder and big leaguer Mike Benjamin enters his fifth season as an assistant coach on Tim Esmay's staff. Esmay and Benjamin were teammates at Arizona State during the 1986 and 1987 seasons under head coach Jim Brock. Benjamin was inducted into the Arizona State University Hall of Fame in 2011.

In 2013, Benjamin helped the Sun Devil finish in the top 30 in Div. I in triples (sixth), home runs (20th), slugging percentage (25th) and doubles (29th), and ranked 42nd in runs, 46th in scoring and 47th in hits.

ASU was also first in the Pac-12 in slugging percentage, runs scored, RBI, doubles, home runs and total bases, second in hits and triples, third in on-base percentage and fourth in batting average.

Since joining the staff in 2010, Benjamin has helped the Sun Devils rank 1st in slugging percentage, fewest sacrifice bunts and home runs per season, and 2nd in batting average, hits per season and RBI per season. Click here for a full rundown of where the Devils stack up against the Pac-12 since 2010.

Under Benjamin's tutelage, current Red Sox minor leaguer Deven Marrero earned 2011 Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year honors and was drafted in the first round of the 2012 MLB Draft. Benjamin also helped second baseman Zack MacPhee earn 2010 Pac-10 Player of the Year honors.

Benjamin played shortstop for the Sun Devils in 1986 and 1987, earning First Team All-American and First Team All-Pac-10 honors in 1987. He hit .315 in his ASU career, including .327 with 18 homers and 55 RBI during the '87 season. Benjamin also stole 30 bases, helping lead the Sun Devils to Omaha and the College World Series that year. He was a third round pick of the San Francisco Giants in the 1987 MLB Draft. Benjamin was named to the All-1980's squad for Arizona State Baseball by the East Valley Tribune as a shortstop.

Benjamin played 13 seasons of Major League Baseball, the first seven of which he spent with the San Francisco Giants. He made his Major League debut for the Giants on July 7, 1989 and played there through the 1995 season. He spent 1996 with the Philadelphia Phillies before joining the Boston Red Sox in 1997. He played two seasons in Boston, playing in the 1998 American League Divisional Series, before finishing his career with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Following his pro career, Benjamin was a coach for the Chandler National Little League team that advanced to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Benjamin' son, Michael Jr., played three seaons with the Sun Devils from 2011-13 and was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 13th round of the 2013 MLB Draft.

Posted Image

Or do I not get the rules?

#7 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hey it's easter so we can pull out Moses movie lines.

How will you Jews make bricks without straw(man)!

#8 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

View Postblurjose, on 05 April 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

Or do I not get the rules?

Sort of an unrelated point, but the Benjamin article reminded me of it. The quality of instruction young players in the Phoenix area receive is unreal.

An acquaintance of mine has a son who just got a D-I scholarship. From Little League through high school he had at least one retired major leaguer on his coaching staff every year.

#9 User is offline   Dunc Wilson 

• GCL Pirate

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Local guy makes Marlins opening day roster:

Don Kelly

Fuck you local guy
Kind of makes this gem seem kind of silly now ..... oh, wait, it was silly then ............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the fertile imagination of bradlej31:

I really don't think they'll make either a qualifying offer.

I believe both signed in 2012 under the pretense of the Pirates not offering a qualifying offer.

If you think that it's stupid then do you think it's stupid if they would've signed with someone else? I personally think is genius because I don't think any other team has started doing that yet to attract FAs.

After Martin leaves without a qualifying offer it will become pretty obvious though. I hope they sign another similar type free-agent or two before they don't qualify Martin. It's their little secret right now but it'll get out here in two months.

#10 User is offline   znc1 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

Jason Grilli will be closing again.

@kileymcd
Source: Matt Wisler, Carlos Quentin and Cameron Maybin headed to Atlanta in the Upton/Kimbrel deal.

#11 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

View Postznc1, on 05 April 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

Jason Grilli will be closing again.

@kileymcd
Source: Matt Wisler, Carlos Quentin and Cameron Maybin headed to Atlanta in the Upton/Kimbrel deal.

With the roster the Braves have...losing 100 games isn't out of the question. Especially when Quentin and Maybin get hurt, again.

#12 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostThunder, on 05 April 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

With the roster the Braves have...losing 100 games isn't out of the question. Especially when Quentin and Maybin get hurt, again.

I don't think dumping Upton matters much but you're right that the Braves are the opposite of all in.

#13 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostLonghornBuc, on 05 April 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Wisler was the Padres top prospect. He grades out the same as Josh Bell.

It's things like this that are leading me to believe NH doesn't totally suck.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#14 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:52 PM

Russell Martin with a two RBI single to put Jays in front 3-0.

Shoes

#15 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostLonghornBuc, on 05 April 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Wisler was the Padres top prospect. He grades out the same as Josh Bell.

No way would I support giving up a prospect of that level for a freakin' closer.

Relievers aren't worth it.
``Weve got some holes were looking to fill. We dont feel like we desperately have to do anything. Were in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.

#16 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostDunc Wilson, on 05 April 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

Local guy makes Marlins opening day roster:

Don Kelly

Fuck you local guy

Way to reference an 8 year old meme, new guy.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#17 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

View PostPenguin, on 06 April 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

Way to reference an 8 year old meme, new guy.

Maybe he's just been reading the board as on observer for a decade and making notes for when he finally decides to join.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#18 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

So a meme that got referenced in basically every game thread last year is suddenly way too old?

This confuses me more than pitching inside.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#19 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 06 April 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

So a meme that got referenced in basically every game thread last year is suddenly way too old?

This confuses me more than pitching inside.

1. Don Kelly was the original 'local guy'.

2. Dunc Wilson registered this year.

3. I'm not surprised you're confused.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#20 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Travis Snider RBI single
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

Share this topic:

• 31 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic