• You cannot reply to this topic

2015 Movies Thread Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

View Postckroynovich, on 24 February 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

A very solid list. My History of Cinema prof from back in the day would be very proud of that list, I just wanted to add a couple I have always liked:
Stagecoach (John Ford directing a young John Wayne) in the archetypal Western
Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 'nuff said)

Good additions.

A couple more Bogie films are The Big Sleep and Key Largo.

#42 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:02 AM

I just watched Nightcrawler and holy shit is Jake Gyllenhaal's character fucking easy to hate.

#43 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

View Postckroynovich, on 24 February 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

A very solid list. My History of Cinema prof from back in the day would be very proud of that list, I just wanted to add a couple I have always liked:
Stagecoach (John Ford directing a young John Wayne) in the archetypal Western
Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 'nuff said)

I haven't seen either. I've never been a big fan of western's unless it's an Eastwood movie.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#44 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 February 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

I haven't seen either. I've never been a big fan of western's unless it's an Eastwood movie.

I agree that Eastwood's westerns are the best ones, but I love westerns in general. Here are some great non-Eastwood Westerns:

"Once Upon a Time In The West"

"The Wild Bunch"

"The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre"

"Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid"

"Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid"

"Young Guns"

"Dead Man" (One of my favorite films of all time, but be aware that it's written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, so it's weird as hell.)

"McCabe and Mrs. Miller"

"Tombstone"

"The Magnificent Seven" (Features Eli Wallach from The Good The Bad And The Ugly)

"High Noon"

"3:10 To Yuma"

My general rule of thumb with Westerns: Stay away from it if it has John Wayne. He sucks.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#45 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Tombstone was good. I agree about Eastwood over Wayne. However I can still watch one once in awhile.
Failure is the key to success.

#46 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

I watched The Interview on Netflix this weekend. It wasn't a cultural master piece, but I enjoyed it. I think it benefits from some perspective and distance from the attention it received when they decided to not release it.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#47 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostJeff King, on 24 February 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

I agree that Eastwood's westerns are the best ones, but I love westerns in general. Here are some great non-Eastwood Westerns:

"The Wild Bunch"

"Young Guns"

"Dead Man" (One of my favorite films of all time, but be aware that it's written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, so it's weird as hell.)

"McCabe and Mrs. Miller"

"Tombstone"

"The Magnificent Seven" (Features Eli Wallach from The Good The Bad And The Ugly)

"High Noon"

"Wild Wild West"

My general rule of thumb with Westerns: Stay away from it if it has John Wayne. He sucks.

I see you mistakenly left off Will Smith's Wild Wild West. It's ok I added it in for you.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#48 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostJeff King, on 24 February 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

"The Wild Bunch"

"Young Guns"

"McCabe and Mrs. Miller"

"Tombstone"

"High Noon"

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid is a favorite of mine. I liked Tombstone. I thought the "True Grit" remake was good but not as good as it was made out to be. Young Guns is also a good movie. I guess I've watched more Westerns than I thought.

My all time favorite baseball movies are:
Eight men out. Just a really good movie in terms of story, characters, and they could actually play a bit.

Field of Dreams. Great book and great movie. WP Kinsella is a great story teller. Costner is good in baseball movies. Again, the actors could actually play.

Bang the Drum Slowly. This is actually Brian's Song set to baseball. It's a buddy story in a baseball story. DeNiro and Michael Moriarty can't play baseball for shit but they are really good actors.

61*. This movie was very well done. Barry Pepper is one of America's most underrated actors. He was great as Roger Maris. An interesting side note is how they had Anthony Michael Hall "throw" left handed. In all of his pitching scenes, he actually threw right handed. His number and NY insignia were reversed. Then they reversed the image so it looked like he was throwing left handed.

A League of Their Own. Tom Hanks makes this movie. Jonathan Lovitz is really good. Madonna however sucks. Still it's a good movie.

Fear Strikes Out A great story and well done, even if it's a bit over acted. Anthony Perkins couldn't play baseball for shit but it is a good movie. If you ever heard Jimmy Piersall call a baseball game, you will have a great appreciation for this movie.

The Natural. Robert Redford is older than Satchel Paige but he could throw and had a nice swing. The basis of the story is when a crazy fan shot Phillies first baseman Eddie Waitkis. The story is good, even with a different ending, and the baseball scenes are good but a bit overly dramatic.

Major League The first one is very entertaining. Charlie Sheen can play, most everyone else can't.

Bull Durham. At first I hated this movie because I hated the Nuke Laloosh character so much. Tim Robbins isn't good and he can't play baseball. After watching it again, I still hate Laloosh but Costner's role is very good and again, he can play. Aside from Robbins, IMO it is second only to Eight Men Out for the best baseball scenes.

Long Gone (google it). This was a really good book and movie about life in the south in the 1950s within the context of minor league baseball. IMO, it's better than Bull Durham. William Petersen (CSI) is very good as a Crash Davis type character. Virginia Madsen was hot back in the day. Durmot Mulroney plays his role as the up and coming prospect much better than Tim Robbins did. This was a very good movie.

Moneyball. Fortunately, it took a big step away from the book. I can't imagine how dull this movie would have been if it had focused on a bunch of stat heads. Brad Pitt is very good as Billy Beane. Jonah Hill and Phillip Seymour Hoffman also do a really good job in this movie.

Before anyone rips me a new asshole for leaving out 42, I still haven't seen it.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#49 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

Seven Samurai is a remake of the Magnificent 7.

Yojimbo is a remake of a Fistful of Dollars.

#50 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

View Postdefdog, on 25 February 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yeah. I was surprised when I saw It's a Wonderful Life stole the swimming pool scene from Whatever it Takes.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#51 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

View Postdefdog, on 25 February 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Magnificent 7 is the remake of 7 samurai

#52 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

But anyway you slice it, those Kurosawa movies should be on your GUYSEZ best westerns lists.

#53 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

View Postdefdog, on 25 February 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

But anyway you slice it, those Kurosawa movies should be on your GUYSEZ best westerns lists.

Geographically, they would be Easterns.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#54 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

Westerns suck
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#55 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 25 February 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Westerns suck

I'm close to that opinion too. I am not a big fan of them. The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite of that group.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#56 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 25 February 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Westerns suck

Based on what I know about your taste in TV and movies, I think it's possible that you just haven't seen the right Westerns.

Have you ever watched a Clint Eastwood Western? It's not remotely black and white, with good guys and bad guys. He typically plays a character that kills and tortures people, while drinking whiskey that he doesn't pay for and raping some women along the way. Despite that, he's sort of the hero in all of those films, which is what makes them so interesting. The people that need his help are well aware that he's a total asshole and so it makes for a bizarre dynamic. They need him to be there to deal with whatever thugs are destroying their town, but they know that he will essentially take anything and everything he wants in return for his services. It could be their money, their gold, their booze, their goods or even their women.

Check out, "High Plains Drifter," or any of the, "Man With No Name Trilogy," which consists of, "The Good The Bad And The Ugly," "A Fistful of Dollars," and, "For A Few Dollars More." All of these are classics and have other stars of the era, like Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#57 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. Peckinpah + Warren Oates + crazyidea = triple win.

Not quite a western, but takes place in desert towns.

#58 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostJeff King, on 25 February 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

Based on what I know about your taste in TV and movies, I think it's possible that you just haven't seen the right Westerns.

Have you ever watched a Clint Eastwood Western? It's not remotely black and white, with good guys and bad guys. He typically plays a character that kills and tortures people, while drinking whiskey that he doesn't pay for and raping some women along the way. Despite that, he's sort of the hero in all of those films, which is what makes them so interesting. The people that need his help are well aware that he's a total asshole and so it makes for a bizarre dynamic. They need him to be there to deal with whatever thugs are destroying their town, but they know that he will essentially take anything and everything he wants in return for his services. It could be their money, their gold, their booze, their goods or even their women.

Check out, "High Plains Drifter," or any of the, "Man With No Name Trilogy," which consists of, "The Good The Bad And The Ugly," "A Fistful of Dollars," and, "For A Few Dollars More." All of these are classics and have other stars of the era, like Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach.

Eastwood's are good but the rest, by and large, I really don't get into. Pale Rider was very good.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#59 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostJeff King, on 25 February 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

I'll check some out. My dad loves westerns and those old western shows, so there's a good chance I just don't like old ones.

I did like Deadwood. So maybe I spoke too soon
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#60 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 25 February 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Before anyone rips me a new asshole for leaving out 42, I still haven't seen it.

I highly recommend 42.
Failure is the key to success.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic