Pittsburgh Pirates: 2015 Movies Thread - Pittsburgh Pirates

Jump to content

  • 19 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015 Movies Thread Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,801
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

I saw Birdman this past weekend. I know a couple people mentioned it in the previous movie thread, but I'll use the new one.


What a bunch of crap. How did this ever win best picture? I wanted to like it but just didn't. I get that there was some cool innovative stuff in the movie but it didn't make the movie "good". Here's the thing, I even like many of the actor performances. I even thought there were some creatively funny moments. As a whole though the movie sucked. It was incoherent at places. hmmm, maybe I should spoiler...

Spoiler


yeah, all in all it was crap. There was too much muddled bullshit to allow you to enjoy some very good performances and biting humor.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#22 Guest_defdog_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Like I said in the real Movies thread... you'll like it if you're the type to like Moulin Rouge.

I'm happy Grand Budapest Hotel won so many awards... and I'm equally happy Boyhood didn't win best picture.
-3

#23 User is offline   Jeff King 

  • Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19,422
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 23 February 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

I saw Birdman this past weekend. I know a couple people mentioned it in the previous movie thread, but I'll use the new one.


What a bunch of crap. How did this ever win best picture? I wanted to like it but just didn't. I get that there was some cool innovative stuff in the movie but it didn't make the movie "good". Here's the thing, I even like many of the actor performances. I even thought there were some creatively funny moments. As a whole though the movie sucked. It was incoherent at places. hmmm, maybe I should spoiler...

Spoiler


yeah, all in all it was crap. There was too much muddled bullshit to allow you to enjoy some very good performances and biting humor.


Birdman sucked. Nothing but cliche characters:

-The washed up actor making a comeback.

-His burnout daughter, who just got out of rehab.

-His ex-wife, who he has a strained relationship with.

-The over the top actor who plays everything like the world revolves around him, but is really totally insecure. It was also obvious within two seconds of them being on screen together, that the burnout daughter was going to end up digging him, despite her initial reaction to his advances.

-The producer who cares about nothing but the success of his show.

The jazz drum solos in between every scene were irritating and completely out of place. What was it with films and jazz drums in 2014 anyway?

It seems like it's supposed to be cool to like Birdman so everyone is raving about it. Truth is, nobody can even tell you what was so good about it.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.
0

#24 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43,267
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

I watched like 20 minutes of Grand Budapest Hotel and was so annoyed that I never wanted to even hear the name of the movie again
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
-3

#25 User is offline   ECBucs 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,398
  • Joined: 21-November 08

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 February 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

I watched like 20 minutes of Grand Budapest Hotel and was so annoyed that I never wanted to even hear the name of the movie again


Showing my age again, but Pretty Baby was first film I walked out on and wished I would have left sooner.




Learned my lesson and left a lot quicker at Pauline at the Beach (supposedly funny French movie).

Was ok to waste money on ticket but to waste bar time.








0

#26 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 34,287
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostECBucs, on 23 February 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

Showing my age again, but Pretty Baby was first film I walked out on and wished I would have left sooner.




Learned my lesson and left a lot quicker at Pauline at the Beach (supposedly funny French movie).

Was ok to waste money on ticket but to waste bar time.

I almost walked out of Showgirls. If there had been a little less nudity, I would have left.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#27 Guest_defdog_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

Showgirls is awesome.

Robocop and Showgirls are both amazing movies by Paul Verhoeven. And Total Recall.
-2

#28 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 34,287
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

View Postdefdog, on 23 February 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

Showgirls is awesome.




"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#29 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,801
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 February 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

I watched like 20 minutes of Grand Budapest Hotel and was so annoyed that I never wanted to even hear the name of the movie again


I haven't seen it but I don't have high hopes. I've never liked any of the Wes Anderson movies I've tried to suffer through until the end.

So there's Imitation game that I saw and loved, Birdman which I thought was crap, Grand Budapest Hotel which I hope to not have to watch and then a bunch of films I'm really not that enthused about seeing. I figure I'll catch American Sniper eventually. And I can see myself checking out The Theory of Everything but the previews make it seem more like a cheesy love story than a cool movie. I guess I'd watch Selma too. Whiplash I didn't even hear about until I saw it was included and Boyhood seems like a gimmick film.

Anyway, just wasn't impressed. I still have American Hustle and Django on my tivo so maybe I'll watch those before another of this years nominees.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#30 User is offline   coolpapacole 

  • Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8,770
  • Joined: 18-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 23 February 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

I almost walked out of Showgirls. If there had been a little less nudity, I would have left.

I walked out of Time Cop with Jean Claude Van Damme. Nudity would not have saved that travesty.

Now that I think about it, I can't remember why in the hell I ever walked into that movie in the first place.
0

#31 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,801
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

Ok. so for the wayback machine...

I watched It's a Wonderful Life for the first time ever this weekend. I tivo-ed it awhile ago figuring I really should watch it (lately I want to try to catch a bunch of the "classics" in book or film that I've missed). I have to admit, I was entertained. (def, spoiler upcoming) I know it's uplifting at the end, but it sure is depressing for a lot of the movie. I have to say I was unaware of how many classic lines came from the movie. I guess being cheesy works when it was the original cheesy. Also, I loved Donna Reed. She was hot.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#32 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43,267
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

I saw Kingsman the other night and it was ok I thought. I think it got stuck between funny and serious and was never funny enough to be considered a comedy. I'm not mad I saw it, but wish I would've waited until it was on HBO so I could've played on my phone or done work while it was on. Certainly looked way cooler in the previews.

I just realized my last two posts were hating on movies. I'm really not that hard to please. But the over the top artsyness of GPH isn't my style. And Kingsman wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. Or funny.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#33 User is offline   ecbenito 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:with the outlaws

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 23 February 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

I haven't seen it but I don't have high hopes. I've never liked any of the Wes Anderson movies I've tried to suffer through until the end.

So there's Imitation game that I saw and loved, Birdman which I thought was crap, Grand Budapest Hotel which I hope to not have to watch and then a bunch of films I'm really not that enthused about seeing. I figure I'll catch American Sniper eventually. And I can see myself checking out The Theory of Everything but the previews make it seem more like a cheesy love story than a cool movie. I guess I'd watch Selma too. Whiplash I didn't even hear about until I saw it was included and Boyhood seems like a gimmick film.

Anyway, just wasn't impressed. I still have American Hustle and Django on my tivo so maybe I'll watch those before another of this years nominees.

Grand Budapest Hotel is the most Wes Anderson film ever
0

#34 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 34,287
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:22 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 23 February 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Ok. so for the wayback machine...

I watched It's a Wonderful Life for the first time ever this weekend. I tivo-ed it awhile ago figuring I really should watch it (lately I want to try to catch a bunch of the "classics" in book or film that I've missed). I have to admit, I was entertained. (def, spoiler upcoming) I know it's uplifting at the end, but it sure is depressing for a lot of the movie. I have to say I was unaware of how many classic lines came from the movie. I guess being cheesy works when it was the original cheesy. Also, I loved Donna Reed. She was hot.

It was good. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors. It still holds up pretty well, especially if you are watching it during the Christmas season.

A lot of old movies don't hold up well, even the best ones. If the production effects aren't bad, then over acting seems to be an issue. The worst part may have been all the restrictions they had on movies, just ruined any semblance of realism.

My favorite black and white era movies (generally before 1960) are (in no order):
Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird
In the Navy (Abbott and Costello)
Buck Privates (Abbott and Costello)
The Maltese Falcon
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
On the Waterfront
Some Like it Hot
Somebody Up There Likes Me
The Grapes of Wrath
The Best Years of Our Lives
Casablanca
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Hustler
Mister Roberts (not black and white but before 1960)
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#35 User is offline   ECBucs 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,398
  • Joined: 21-November 08

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 23 February 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

It was good. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors. It still holds up pretty well, especially if you are watching it during the Christmas season.

A lot of old movies don't hold up well, even the best ones. If the production effects aren't bad, then over acting seems to be an issue. The worst part may have been all the restrictions they had on movies, just ruined any semblance of realism.

My favorite black and white era movies (generally before 1960) are (in no order):
Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird
In the Navy (Abbott and Costello)
Buck Privates (Abbott and Costello)
The Maltese Falcon
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
On the Waterfront
Some Like it Hot
Somebody Up There Likes Me
The Grapes of Wrath
The Best Years of Our Lives
Casablanca
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Hustler
Mister Roberts (not black

Some other good black nd w movies are Mr. Deeds goes to Town (Gary Cooper)

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (remade as Heaven Can Wait)

war movies A Walk in the Sun and Attack (Jack Parlance and Lee Marvin)



0

#36 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,801
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

I never really considered Abbott and Costello movies as "movies" but I loved them.

My favorite might be Spartacus. That was black and white right?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#37 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 34,287
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 23 February 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

I never really considered Abbott and Costello movies as "movies" but I loved them.

My favorite might be Spartacus. That was black and white right?

It was in color but just makes the 1960 cut off.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#38 User is offline   ECBucs 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,398
  • Joined: 21-November 08

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 23 February 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

I never really considered Abbott and Costello movies as "movies" but I loved them.

My favorite might be Spartacus. That was black and white right?


Abbott and Costello, Marx brothers arnd 3 Stooges are appreciated by my 12 year old. He likes it when A and C do math and this clip where Abbott explains how he gets paid for loafing:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be



0

#39 Guest_defdog_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

View Postecbenito, on 23 February 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

Grand Budapest Hotel is the most Wes Anderson film ever


I must be on Team Academy Awards.
-2

#40 User is offline   ckroynovich 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,693
  • Joined: 31-December 10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 23 February 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

It was good. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors. It still holds up pretty well, especially if you are watching it during the Christmas season.

A lot of old movies don't hold up well, even the best ones. If the production effects aren't bad, then over acting seems to be an issue. The worst part may have been all the restrictions they had on movies, just ruined any semblance of realism.

My favorite black and white era movies (generally before 1960) are (in no order):
Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird
In the Navy (Abbott and Costello)
Buck Privates (Abbott and Costello)
The Maltese Falcon
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
On the Waterfront
Some Like it Hot
Somebody Up There Likes Me
The Grapes of Wrath
The Best Years of Our Lives
Casablanca
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Hustler
Mister Roberts (not black and white but before 1960)


A very solid list. My History of Cinema prof from back in the day would be very proud of that list, I just wanted to add a couple I have always liked:
Stagecoach (John Ford directing a young John Wayne) in the archetypal Western
Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 'nuff said)
0

Share this topic:


  • 19 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic