• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015 Steelers Offseason Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

I loved the Williams pick when it was made, but he's a backup. Why they continue to play him on 3rd down is frustrating, although Shazier must just not understand the defense well enough.

I think Jarvis Jones is worth another shot next year. He was pretty banged up. I also believe all this can be improved with a better defensive line. Tuitt playing more and getting a real NT, or playing McCullers assuming he makes some improvement in the offseason, will help the LB crew a bit.

Regardless, we need CBs. I love the idea of taking the best player available and all, but the need is so large at this point, you either trade up or down just to get a couple corners. That's how bad the need is.
CRIM

#42 User is offline   BigBadBucs 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 04 January 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

You gotta give Shazier playing time if he's gonna break through. It was his first time playing in a 3-4 defense, so what experience he's gotten in it this year amounts to maybe 5-6 full games. A guy that doesn't have the physical tools probably won't succeed either way, but Shazier has them. What's missing is in-game experience, all of those repetitions that you hope will make something click with the player.

Either way, I really like the guy and though he was one of the 10 players in the draft that could be something special. It just doesn't happen overnight for everyone.

I think Shazier can become an impact linebacker. He has the speed and athleticism. Next year he should take a step forward. To come in and have immediate impact in LeBeau's defense has proven not to be the norm. Tuit progressed the most.

BBB

#43 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 04 January 2015 - 12:11 AM, said:

If they cut Mitchell and Allen after June 1, they gain a fair amount of cap space. That doesn't help upgrading he team this offseason though. If Troy retires they gain 3.7 mil.

The biggest issue will be Ben's contract. Does he want all the guaranteed money he can get or does he want to take less for another chance at a ring?

According to CBSSports the Steelers have the 3rd worst cap situation in the NFL.

For as great as Omar Kahn is supposed to be, it seems that this franchise has been In salary cap hell for a decade.

I will give Kahn some credit. They have managed to stay competitive despite the cap problems. Although these last few years have been frustrating it also would be hard to see them tear it all down and go 2-14 or 4-12 for a couple of years like many teams do.

Their problem has been weak drafts on the defensive side and hanging on to certain veteran players on defense for far too long.

#44 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 04 January 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

I will give Kahn some credit. They have managed to stay competitive despite the cap problems. Although these last few years have been frustrating it also would be hard to see them tear it all down and go 2-14 or 4-12 for a couple of years like many teams do.

Their problem has been weak drafts on the defensive side and hanging on to certain veteran players on defense for far too long.

Or for many years, as the Washington DC football club (my homage to Bob Costas) does.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#45 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 04 January 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

The Steelers have had cap problems for 10 years, because they are competitive.

#46 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostCRIMHEAD, on 04 January 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

I loved the Williams pick when it was made, but he's a backup. Why they continue to play him on 3rd down is frustrating, although Shazier must just not understand the defense well enough.

Then play Spence. He's definitely better than Williams in coverage.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#47 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

View Postseanawesome, on 04 January 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

They definitely need to upgrade the secondary but they also need linebackers that can drop back into coverage and actually cover someone. Think it was also very alarming how well the Ravens ran the ball too. Think the draft has to just be still focused on getting the best overall player but the overall draft has to address defensive needs.

I doubt he will be available in the 2nd round, but they should consider Washington LB Shaq Thompson. He origally came to UW as a safety and played in the secondary his first year before moving to LB. So he obviously has the speed and athleticism to cover. Actually, he's so athletic he spent time on offense this year as he had over 60 carries.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#48 User is offline   jpbucco 

• Koveltwats Daddy
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

View Postjestor92, on 04 January 2015 - 03:32 AM, said:

If they cut Troy and then if Troy were to retire post cut do they still get the cap hit?

Also Id try to resign Worlids (spelling?) and if he doesnt want a reasonable deal try to bring back Harrison. They could use a vet though to push Jarvis on the other side.

No, Troy would need to retire BEFORE they cut him to save the cap hit. Worlids got a taste of that transition player money and he's not signing at a bargain. They have to find out what they have in Jones and pray somebody like Howard Jones or Jordan Zumwalt can break through...
Oh shit! There's stickers!

#49 User is offline   jpbucco 

• Koveltwats Daddy
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostBigBadBucs, on 04 January 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

I know that many of us are upset at the outcome of last nights game but I actually think that this team over achieved this year. From 8-8 to 11-5 is a big jump along with winning the division. They were hamstrung with a bad defense for most of the year and I think Lebeau got a lot out of that group in the month of December. The defense "obviously" does not have enough talent and has some questions on some of their high picks.

In many ways, I am surprised at their record. I think the opposite of many of you on this. I think that Haley & Munchak really got the offense going in the right direction. LeBeau just didn't have enough talent. They only have one side of the ball to improve on and so they can concentrate on defense in the off season.

Overall, other than mistakes made in the heat of the battle, I thought the coaches got a lot out of the players they had to work with.

The drafting is another question but it's a crap shoot for every team. So many #1's under performed this year.

BBB

I agree with this. I believe this team did overachieve in some respects. The offense carried a very poor defense for much of the year.

The defense obviously needs more talent in the secondary, but how much of it is scheme? I truly believe it's time for LeBeau to retire....I only hope that ownership can see that too.
Oh shit! There's stickers!

#50 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 04 January 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

Then play Spence. He's definitely better than Williams in coverage.

Or play Shazier, he's more athletic and capable of covering guys than either. If he's too dumb to understand his role, that's another problem.
CRIM

#51 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

View Postjpbucco, on 04 January 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

No, Troy would need to retire BEFORE they cut him to save the cap hit. Worlids got a taste of that transition player money and he's not signing at a bargain. They have to find out what they have in Jones and pray somebody like Howard Jones or Jordan Zumwalt can break through...

I think it's pretty clear what they have in Jones. The guy gets dominated at the point of attack on just about every snap he's in on. He has shown zero big play ability in two seasons. Yes, he's had some injuries but there's no excuse for not showing any glimpses of ability as a first rounder.
Utah, get me two.

#52 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

So why is James Harrison so good? He's one big ass mean bulldozer OL mover.

Shazier, Jarvis and Troy are these little ballet kinda finesse speed guys.
(we need those but > 1 at a time? )

We need to draft another bulldozer.

I say we draft the best middle linebacker. We're switching to a 4-3 eventually.

#53 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 04 January 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

I think it's pretty clear what they have in Jones. The guy gets dominated at the point of attack on just about every snap he's in on. He has shown zero big play ability in two seasons. Yes, he's had some injuries but there's no excuse for not showing any glimpses of ability as a first rounder.

Yeah he has never looked strong enough. Which is the problem with taking an actual 3-4 OLB in college . Generally they're not as big and strong as the 4-3 DE that you would try to transition to OLB.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#54 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

View Postv2burghboy, on 04 January 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

The Steelers have had cap problems for 10 years, because they are competitive.

Why is it then a team like the Pats pretty much pick and chooses who they can add to the team every offseason? And that was before Brady freed up a bunch of cap space this coming offseason.

They have been competitive because they have a franchise QB and were hitting on their draft picks. Wasn't the loss of Kennan Lewis a result of the cap? Don't you think they would want to keep him around? Their cap situation caused them to panic and give Cortez a long term deal.

It also appears they were fortunate to properly scout and upgrade the WR position. They haven't been as fortunate on defense.
``Weve got some holes were looking to fill. We dont feel like we desperately have to do anything. Were in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.

#55 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 04 January 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

Why is it then a team like the Pats pretty much pick and chooses who they can add to the team every offseason? And that was before Brady freed up a bunch of cap space this coming offseason.

They have been competitive because they have a franchise QB and were hitting on their draft picks. Wasn't the loss of Kennan Lewis a result of the cap? Don't you think they would want to keep him around? Their cap situation caused them to panic and give Cortez a long term deal.

It also appears they were fortunate to properly scout and upgrade the WR position. They haven't been as fortunate on defense.

The Patriots are what every yinzer thinks the Rooney's are: Cheap. They trade or release every player that is about to make any money or makes a significant amount of money. Having Tom Brady and playing in the AFC East where they have zero competition really masks it.

#56 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 04 January 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

The Patriots are what every yinzer thinks the Rooney's are: Cheap. They trade or release every player that is about to make any money or makes a significant amount of money. Having Tom Brady and playing in the AFC East where they have zero competition really masks it.

Yeah I think at one point last year they were starting 7 rookies on defense.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#57 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 04 January 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

Exactly. Which is why if we don't have someone who is performing up to his cap number, we need to consider dumping them. Heath Miller is one example. He's replaceable and probably upgradable at a lower cap number.

We also need to dump certain guys as well, but that list is long.
CRIM

#58 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 04 January 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Yeah I think at one point last year they were starting 7 rookies on defense.

Look at what they've done to Tom Brady's supporting cast on offense. When he retires that house of cards collapses.

#59 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 04 January 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yet they throw money out at FAs every year, so not sure you'd call them cheap.
CRIM

#60 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostCRIMHEAD, on 04 January 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

Yet they throw money out at FAs every year, so not sure you'd call them cheap.

I believe their payroll in terms of actual salary is 21st in the NFL this season. They're not exactly big spenders, especially when you consider the amount of spending potential they have.

Share this topic:

• 131 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic