• You cannot reply to this topic

2015 Steelers Offseason Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:34 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 04 January 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

Apparently Mike Mitchell played the entire season with a torn groin, which explains why he didn't have the ridiculous speed he's had in previous years

Any way to explain the constant missed tackles, dumb penalties and him acting like a gigantic assclown the entire season?

#22 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

View PostThe Lumber Company, on 04 January 2015 - 12:34 AM, said:

Any way to explain the constant missed tackles, dumb penalties and him acting like a gigantic assclown the entire season?

His stinx was hyperextended.

#23 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:42 AM

WalterFootball Mock as of 12/31:

1)Pittsburgh Steelers: Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
Cortez Allen was so bad against the Colts that he was actually trending on Twitter. Ike Taylor, meanwhile, was miserable in his return from injury. The Steelers are in desperate need of help at the cornerback position, and they're getting a prospect who fits their scheme well.

2) Pittsburgh Steelers: Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DE/OLB, UCLA
The Steelers hate drafting edge rushers early on because of scheme transition issues, but they really need to upgrade their pass rush. It's been better lately, but Pittsburgh can't count on James Harrison playing well forever.

3)Pittsburgh Steelers: Jordan Richards, S, Stanford
More help for Pittsburgh's anemic secondary. The Steelers signed Michael Mitchell this offseason, but he hasn't met expectations. He was torched in the Indianapolis game along with Cortez Allen.

BleacherReport Mock:

23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Malcom Brown, Texas, DT

Brown comes from a defensive program that plays several schemes. He's 6'3" and 300-plus pounds but has enough athleticism to move inside or outside.

The Steelers are a far cry from the team that used to dominate on defense. Pittsburgh needs big playmakers like Brown to match its suddenly versatile and explosive offense.

Drafttek Mock:

Round 1

Shane Ray
Alternate Pick #1
Devin Funchess
Alternate Pick #2
Alex Carter
Sure the Steelers are in the playoffs, but it's not your Daddy's Steelers. I guess that stout run defense is still there, just 100.3 ypg. But the team is middle of the pack in terms of points and yardage allowed per game. And the Steelers ranked 26th in sacks! Combine a lack of pressure in 2015 with a weak secondary potentially getting weaker due to Free Agency (see our round 2 comment), and you can pretty much ID the positions that HC Mike Tomlin will target in the 2015 NFL draft. Put Shane Ray on you Steeler watch list. Aganist SEC competition Ray collected 12.5 sacks and 21 TFLs, good for 6th and 4th nationally, respectively.

Round 2

Ronald Darby
Florida St

Alternate Pick #1
Ben Koyack
Alternate Pick #2
Lorenzo Doss
The Steelers have $6M annually tied up in Cortez Allen until 2019. Too bad his play on the field isn't justifying the expenditure. In the eight games that Allen played prior to his season ending benching, he accumulated a Profootballfocus.com ranking of -16.1. Good for dead last among 107 peers. Brice McCain and aged Ike Taylor are Free Agents. So yeah, the Steelers need help at Corner in a big way. I'm not so sure Darby will be the guy with this pick. He's got the talent but he may be collaterally linked to Jameis Winton's off the field issues at FSU.

Round 3

Clive Walford
Miami (FL)
TE

Alternate Pick #1
Mario Edwards Jr
Alternate Pick #2
Mike Davis

Round 4

David Cobb
Minnesota
RB

Alternate Pick #1
Jeremy Langford
Alternate Pick #2
Henry Anderson

Round 5)

Leon Orr
Florida
DE

Alternate Pick #1
Cedric Reed
Alternate Pick #2
Brian Mihalik
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#24 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

they need to go CB early and often in the draft. Troy and Ike need to walk away. They need to find someone else that can actually get to the opposing QB and it sure as shit ain't Jarvis Jones.

The good news is that outside of Roethlisberger, the offense is pretty set for next season. They need to get a legitimate backup RB and maybe Tate is that guy if he has more than 72 hours to learn the offense. They need to put all offseason efforts into getting youth, speed and skill on defense.

Brad Wing needs to be executed. Maybe Mike Adams as well.

it's total hindsight now, but I wonder how the defense would've looked if instead of Shazier they had taken Mosley.

#25 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

Buy stock in Mike Munchak. That man will move up this offseason.

#26 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

Wake Forest's Kevin Johnson is definitely a potential draft pick. The biggest knock is give him is being a soft tackler. He appears to be a good corner from a coverage standpoint, though. He just really needs to up his game getting off blocks and tackling.

#27 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

@colin_dunlap: Al Martin was a better football player than Mike Mitchell.

Anybody know Al's whereabouts?
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#28 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:38 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 03 January 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

Ma13tt0's 2015 Steelers mock draft

Rd 1.CB
Rd 2.CB
Rd 3.CB
Rd 4.CB
Rd 5.CB
Rd 6.CB
Rd 7.CB

UDFA: CB

Rd 3. 160 lb RB/KR/WR that cannot rush the football, block, return kicks, or run pass routes.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#29 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:17 AM

View PostVegetable, on 04 January 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

@colin_dunlap: Al Martin was a better football player than Mike Mitchell.

Anybody know Al's whereabouts?

A wedding chapel?

#30 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:30 AM

Steelers 2015 Roster

OFFENSE

QB
Ben Roethlisberger* Contract year
Brad Gradkowski
Landry Jones

HB
LeVeon Bell
Dri Archer
Josh Harris* Exclusive Rights Free Agent, will resign for minimum tender

FB
Will Johnson* Restricted Free Agent, will likely sign tender without opposing offer

WR
Antonio Brown
Martavis Bryant
Markus Wheaton
Lance Moore* Release would save $1.6 million and leave $0.3 million in dead cap

TE
Heath Miller

LT
Kelvin Beachum

LG
Ramon Foster* Contract year
Chris Hubbard *Exclusive Rights Free Agent, will resign for minimum tender
OC
Maurkice Pouncey
Cody Wallace

RG
David DeCastro

RT
Marcus Gilbert
Mike Adams* Contract year

DEFENSE

DE
Cameron Heyward* Contract year
Stephon Tuitt
Brett Keisel* Release would save $1.5 million and leave $0.25 in dead cap
Cam Thomas* Release would save $2 million and leave $0.5 million in dead cap

NT
Daniel McCullers
Steve McLendon* Contract year

OLB
Jarvis Jones* It would cost more to cut asswipe than to keep him
Jordan Zumwalt

ILB
Lawrence Timmos
Ryan Shazier
Vince Williams
Sean Spence* Contract year
Terence Garvin* Restricted Free Agent, will likely resign for minimum tender

CB
William Gay* Contract year
Cortez Allen* Release pre-June 1 would save $1.6 million and leave $5.4 in dead cap -- Release post-June 1 would save $5.6 million and leave $1.6 in dead cap in 2015 and $4 million in 2016
Antwan Blake* Restricted Free Agent, will likely resign without opposing offer
B.W. Webb

FS
Mike Mitchell* Release pre-June 1 would save $1.15 and leave $3.8 in dead cap -- Release post-June 1 would save $4 million and leave $0.95 million in dead cap in 2015 and $2.85 million in 2016
Robert Golden* Restricted Free Agent, will likely resign for minimum tender

SS
Troy Polamalu* Release pre-June 1 would save $3.75 and leave $4.5 million in dead cap -- Release post-June 1 would save $6 million and leave $2.25 million in dead cap in 2015 and 2016
Shamarlo Thomas
Ross Ventrone

K
Shaun Suisham

P
Brad Wing* Exclusive Rights Free Agent, will resign for minimum tender

#31 User is online   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:32 AM

If they cut Troy and then if Troy were to retire post cut do they still get the cap hit?

Also Id try to resign Worlids (spelling?) and if he doesnt want a reasonable deal try to bring back Harrison. They could use a vet though to push Jarvis on the other side.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#32 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

Steelers 2015 Unrestricted Free Agents

RB Ben Tate
WR Darius Heyward-Bay
TE Matt Speath
TE Michael Palmer
LS Greg Warren
DE Clifton Geathers
OLB James Harrison
OLB Jason Worilds
OLB Arthur Moats
CB Ike Taylor
CB Brice McCain
S Will Allen

I'd gladly see if Tate, Palmer, Warren, Harrison, Worilds, Moats, McCain and Allen are interested in staying in Pittsburgh.

#33 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:41 AM

View Postjestor92, on 04 January 2015 - 03:32 AM, said:

If they cut Troy and then if Troy were to retire post cut do they still get the cap hit?

Don't know. Probably still counts.

#34 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

I haven't read the game thread where I'm sure this is discussed, but that team should have not lost to the Ravens. I know missing Bell was a big hit and Ben shitting the bed was bad, but they should have still been better.

The one consistency with yesterday's game and the recent previous seasons playoffs (or lack thereof) has been the coaching. I have never necessarily been anti-Tomlin, outside of being shitty at clock management, I think he's a good coach. Here's the thing, after a run of a bad track record, there has to be some accountability. We saw it was true with the Pens (another coach I didn't have a problem with and thought was decent). It is the same here. I'm on the side that Tomlin has to go. I think if he does, Le Beau will step down as well. Not sure about Haley. His results this season are a decent statement but you'd have to figure that any new coach would want to bring in his own guy.

But none of this will matter since I think Tomlin is here for next year.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#35 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

On the draft, they need to go heavy in the secondary. They have holes at CB and safety.

The one thing that pisses me off is they have a huge hole at OLB as well. They basically have a underproducing Jarvis Jones, an injured 2nd year draft pick that never played in the regular season and, uh, that's it. Worilds sucked and will be gone. Moats would be stupid to come back having never gotten a chance. They might have to hope that Harrison will bring his ancient body back for another season (I'm shocked at how well he played).

I would seriously consider having Timmons try out at OLB. He has all the skills to play the position and I think he was originally drafted there but Woodley dominated and forced him inside. This team would be better with Timmons on the outside and Shazier and a Spence/Williams split on the inside.
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#36 User is offline   BigBadBucs 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

I know that many of us are upset at the outcome of last nights game but I actually think that this team over achieved this year. From 8-8 to 11-5 is a big jump along with winning the division. They were hamstrung with a bad defense for most of the year and I think Lebeau got a lot out of that group in the month of December. The defense "obviously" does not have enough talent and has some questions on some of their high picks.

In many ways, I am surprised at their record. I think the opposite of many of you on this. I think that Haley & Munchak really got the offense going in the right direction. LeBeau just didn't have enough talent. They only have one side of the ball to improve on and so they can concentrate on defense in the off season.

Overall, other than mistakes made in the heat of the battle, I thought the coaches got a lot out of the players they had to work with.

The drafting is another question but it's a crap shoot for every team. So many #1's under performed this year.

BBB

#37 User is offline   seanawesome 

• Master of the Powerbomb
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

They definitely need to upgrade the secondary but they also need linebackers that can drop back into coverage and actually cover someone. Think it was also very alarming how well the Ravens ran the ball too. Think the draft has to just be still focused on getting the best overall player but the overall draft has to address defensive needs.

#38 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 04 January 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

On the draft, they need to go heavy in the secondary. They have holes at CB and safety.

The one thing that pisses me off is they have a huge hole at OLB as well. They basically have a underproducing Jarvis Jones, an injured 2nd year draft pick that never played in the regular season and, uh, that's it. Worilds sucked and will be gone. Moats would be stupid to come back having never gotten a chance. They might have to hope that Harrison will bring his ancient body back for another season (I'm shocked at how well he played).

I would seriously consider having Timmons try out at OLB. He has all the skills to play the position and I think he was originally drafted there but Woodley dominated and forced him inside. This team would be better with Timmons on the outside and Shazier and a Spence/Williams split on the inside.

I don't want to move Timmons outside. He's a pro bowler inside, and when he played outside 2 or 3 years ago he was ridiculed for not being an effective outside pass rusher. Shazier and Spence are inside linebackers, too. They will not be able to contain runs on the outside. I think Williams might be able to make the move outside. He just barely has the size to do it, but has no experience out there.

#39 User is offline   BigBadBucs 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 04 January 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

I don't want to move Timmons outside. He's a pro bowler inside, and when he played outside 2 or 3 years ago he was ridiculed for not being an effective outside pass rusher. Shazier and Spence are inside linebackers, too. They will not be able to contain runs on the outside. I think Williams might be able to make the move outside. He just barely has the size to do it, but has no experience out there.

I agree with you on this v2. Timmons has made himself into a pro bowl inside linebacker. I am most concerned about Shazier and more so with Jarvis Jones. Shazier seemed to fall out of favor because he was out of position on too many plays. He has terrific natural talent and speed but the mental part of the game is still yet to be seen. Jones, he's just not getting it done. No push, he's not strong enough.

BBB

#40 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

View PostBigBadBucs, on 04 January 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

I agree with you on this v2. Timmons has made himself into a pro bowl inside linebacker. I am most concerned about Shazier and more so with Jarvis Jones. Shazier seemed to fall out of favor because he was out of position on too many plays. He has terrific natural talent and speed but the mental part of the game is still yet to be seen. Jones, he's just not getting it done. No push, he's not strong enough.

BBB

You gotta give Shazier playing time if he's gonna break through. It was his first time playing in a 3-4 defense, so what experience he's gotten in it this year amounts to maybe 5-6 full games. A guy that doesn't have the physical tools probably won't succeed either way, but Shazier has them. What's missing is in-game experience, all of those repetitions that you hope will make something click with the player.

Either way, I really like the guy and though he was one of the 10 players in the draft that could be something special. It just doesn't happen overnight for everyone.

Share this topic:

• 131 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic