• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015 Steelers Offseason Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

What needs to change with the front office? The coaching staff? The players? What is the team's biggest need?

I hope this was Polamalu's and Taylor's last season, though I greatly appreciate everything they contributed to the Steelers in their careers. Hopefully we get that out of the way in the next few days.

I'm undecided on the coaching staff. I need a few days to mull that over. I'm greatly disappointed in Cortez Allen's season, Mike Mitchell's season and Jarvis Jones' season -- I expected more out of Allen and Mitchell and just sort of hoped and prayed Jones would do something, anything promising. At the same rate, I'm overjoyed by what Bell, Bryant, Wheaton, Beachum, Tuitt, Heyward and a few unknown corners did this season.

There are a lot of pieces in place, but man does the defense need more work.

#2 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

Needs to go:

Mike Mitchell
Ike Taylor
Troy
Worilds
Heyward-Bey
Mike Adams

Might go:

Cortez Allen(his cap number isn't too bad to see if he can redeem himself)
Lance Moore(I thought he got a raw deal but if he's not going to play there's no point in keeping him)
Brad Wing

Needs:
CB
SS
FS
OLB
TE
Backup RB
Backup Tackle
Punter
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#3 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:55 PM

POPULAR

Ma13tt0's 2015 Steelers mock draft

Rd 1.CB
Rd 2.CB
Rd 3.CB
Rd 4.CB
Rd 5.CB
Rd 6.CB
Rd 7.CB

UDFA: CB
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#4 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

As far as players under contract for 2015, I think you'll only see two significant moves: 1) Troy being cut or retiring, and 2) Ben being extended. I seriously doubt they cut anyone else of note.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#5 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:59 PM

The NFL cap, I think, will be between $141 and 143 million. The Steelers, between about 40 players under contract, 5 or 6 exclusive right/restricted free agents and dead cap space, which will amount to about next season's cap -- I'm guessing, fittingly, between $141 and 143 million.

Ben is in the last year of his contract, so, yikes. That will be huge in figuring out what the Steelers are able to do this offseason.

#6 User is offline   mvk112 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

They need one or two good OLB with Harrison, Worilds, & Moats all hitting free agency.

Somebody has to be able to rush the passer.

#7 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

The Steelers only save $1.15 million by cutting Mike Mitchell, so that's not a lot. His cap hit would be $4.95 million in 2015. I'd like to give him another season in this defense, maybe even with a partner at strong safety that allows him to not have to play so much deep safety and gets him closer to the box.

#8 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 03 January 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

Ma13tt0's 2015 Steelers mock draft

Rd 1.CB
Rd 2.CB
Rd 3.CB
Rd 4.CB
Rd 5.CB
Rd 6.CB
Rd 7.CB

UDFA: CB

This should be printed, blown up to poster size, framed and mounted on the wall in the Steelers' war room on draft day. I think it's three years too late, but better late than never. It's not ok that the biggest problem with this team has been the biggest problem for so long and remains unresolved. I am a dolt when it comes to footsballs and I could have fixed this just as well as they have by opening up a draft guide and randomly picking names.

#9 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:08 AM

View Postmvk112, on 04 January 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

They need one or two good OLB with Harrison, Worilds, & Moats all hitting free agency.

Somebody has to be able to rush the passer.

Harrison retires or comes back to the Steelers. I don't see it happening any other way at this point. Worilds, surprisingly enough, was 11th among linebackers in sacks this season. I at least try to work something reasonable out instead of just letting him walk free. Definitely no tag this time around.

#10 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Taylor needs to go, and Mitchell if it is doable cap-wise. I'd be surprised if Troy doesn't retire.

Team needs: CB, S, OLB, NT, RB, TE, P

#11 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

We lost to two bullshit teams otherwise we have a bye and avoid this week altogether. It's definitely not time to blow it up, so i hope we just take this offseason to add and take another run. This was the worst game they played all year by far.

Get a good corner, maybe an OL. But this is the best group of skill guys in a while.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#12 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 04 January 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

The Steelers only save $1.15 million by cutting Mike Mitchell, so that's not a lot. His cap hit would be $4.95 million in 2015. I'd like to give him another season in this defense, maybe even with a partner at strong safety that allows him to not have to play so much deep safety and gets him closer to the box.

I think his cap hit is only $1M if they cut him after June 1. That said, I agree that they probably keep him for at least another year.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#13 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:11 AM

View PostWinters in Holland, on 04 January 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

Even though it will make me go nuclear, as I said a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the Steelers go LB in Round 1 yet AGAIN.

You love drafting for need. The Steelers could very well have a huge need at OLB this offseason.

#14 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:11 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 04 January 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

If they cut Mitchell and Allen after June 1, they gain a fair amount of cap space. That doesn't help upgrading he team this offseason though. If Troy retires they gain 3.7 mil.

The biggest issue will be Ben's contract. Does he want all the guaranteed money he can get or does he want to take less for another chance at a ring?

According to CBSSports the Steelers have the 3rd worst cap situation in the NFL.

For as great as Omar Kahn is supposed to be, it seems that this franchise has been In salary cap hell for a decade.
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#15 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:14 AM

View PostNYPirate, on 04 January 2015 - 12:11 AM, said:

If they cut Mitchell and Allen after June 1, they gain a fair amount of cap space. That doesn't help upgrading he team this offseason though. If Troy retires they gain 3.7 mil.

The biggest issue will be Ben's contract. Does he want all the guaranteed money he can get or does he want to take less for another chance at a ring?

According to CBSSports the Steelers have the 3rd worst cap situation in the NFL.

For as great as Omar Kahn is supposed to be, it seems that this franchise has been In salary cap hell for a decade.

OLB will almost surely be a need with Worilds likely leaving and Harrison almost surely retiring. The cap will be interesting next year.

If they cut allen and Mitchell, then Troy retires, they will need to add multiple safeties too.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#16 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 04 January 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:

We lost to two bullshit teams otherwise we have a bye and avoid this week altogether. It's definitely not time to blow it up, so i hope we just take this offseason to add and take another run. This was the worst game they played all year by far.

Get a good corner, maybe an OL. But this is the best group of skill guys in a while.

This is still a good team despite the shit that went down tonight. Problem is, it's taken years of mistakes, neglect and bad luck for the defense (secondary in particular) to get where it is right now. Even a decent step forward defensively helps this team a lot. Every team is flawed in one way or another and today's NFL is about minimizing your vulnerabilities. It's a shame they're in the tar pit cap-wise, and that supposedly it takes forever for new defensive players to learn our system. With moderately better defense this team can win a ring with the skill players we have in place. This offense might actually get better next season with the continued development of Bell and some of the wideouts. They just need to not get pink-socked on defense and they're a contender. Look at how unstoppable they looked when the defense performed a little better at the end of the regular season (against some shit opponents, sure, but you get my meaning). Christ, just beat the Bucs and Jets and this team might have had home field throughout the playoffs or close to it.

As much as I want them to use the draft and some smart FA moves to improve, they need leadership. Champions don't allow their team to sleepwalk five or six times a year. They played at different intensity levels throughout the year and I don't think it's a coincidence. Coaching? Or someone in the locker room needs to step up? I really don't know. I never bought into that type of stuff but I'm starting to wonder.

#17 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:24 AM

Meaningfully address the secondary in whatever manner you possibly can.

It's been awful for a few years now, and it's been totally and completely devoid of playmakers since Troy stopped making them a few years back. William Gay totally changed games this year on multiple occasions with pick-sixes, and he's merely a decent corner with good instincts. I'd pick at least two corners in the first four rounds, and if you can find a ball-hawking safety who you think is a game changer, that might be the best possible guy to take.

#18 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

View PostThe Lumber Company, on 04 January 2015 - 12:24 AM, said:

Meaningfully address the secondary in whatever manner you possibly can.

It's been awful for a few years now, and it's been totally and completely devoid of playmakers since Troy stopped making them a few years back. William Gay totally changed games this year on multiple occasions with pick-sixes, and he's merely a decent corner with good instincts. I'd pick at least two corners in the first four rounds, and if you can find a ball-hawking safety who you think is a game changer, that might be the best possible guy to take.

There were opportunities today too, that's the sad thing. McCain dropped one, William Gay made a nice play but cpile have also had one. They just need guys to make the plays that are there.

#19 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

Apparently Mike Mitchell played the entire season with a torn groin, which explains why he didn't have the ridiculous speed he's had in previous years

#20 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 04 January 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

Apparently Mike Mitchell played the entire season with a torn groin, which explains why he didn't have the ridiculous speed he's had in previous years

Our defense has a torn anus after today's game.

Share this topic:

• 131 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic