• You cannot reply to this topic

2014-15 NBA Season Thread Rate Topic: -----

#921 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 17 June 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

I hardly follow the NBA at all and am far from being a Lebron fan as I want nothing but misery for Cleveland. That said, I don't see any way that this finals appearance and performance by Lebron hurts his legacy. He dragged that roster to the brink of a championship.

seriously, if anything it elevates his legacy. He single handedly got what amounts to the Knicks roster within 2 games of the NBA title.

#922 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 17 June 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

I hardly follow the NBA at all and am far from being a Lebron fan as I want nothing but misery for Cleveland. That said, I don't see any way that this finals appearance and performance by Lebron hurts his legacy. He dragged that roster to the brink of a championship.

That's not how creating a narrative works
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#923 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

The Sports Quotient ‏@SportsQuotient 3m3 minutes ago
2015 NBA Finals: Without LeBron on the floor
JR Smith 0/9 FG
Delly 0/7 FG
Jones 0/3 FG
Shumpert 0/2 FG
Total 0/21 FG

Two things here:

1) That's fucking horrible
2) Shows how many minutes Lebron played that he was only off the court enough for these guys to shoot 21 times.
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#924 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 17 June 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

JR Smith 0/9 FG
Delly 0/7 FG
Jones 0/3 FG
Shumpert 0/2 FG
Total 0/21 FG

Two things here:

2) Shows how many minutes Lebron played that he was only off the court enough for these guys to shoot 21 times.

That is incredible.

#925 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 17 June 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

Just as hyper hype makes me dislike players like Peyton Manning (yes, I wrote that again), these stories make me like LeBron.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#926 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 17 June 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

Essentially what people doing that are saying is that it's better to fall short of the finals.

I know a few Steeler fans that would rather lose in the conference post season games than lose the Super Bowl.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#927 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 17 June 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

JR Smith 0/9 FG
Delly 0/7 FG
Jones 0/3 FG
Shumpert 0/2 FG
Total 0/21 FG

Two things here:

Vegas has the Cavs opening at favorites to win the title next year. I guess upgrading to a roster with Kyrie, Kevin Love and Anderson Varejao instead of JR Smith, Dellavadova and Shawn Marion is worth 2 wins in the finals.

#928 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 17 June 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Just as hyper hype makes me dislike players like Peyton Manning (yes, I wrote that again), these stories make me like LeBron.

Seriously. I just don't get how anyone can objectively look at the team he had in the finals and think that Lebron somehow came up small. Dude is the only reason that series wasn't a sweep with four blowouts. I also don't blame Elway for getting unremarkable Broncos teams to the Super Bowl and then getting blown out.

#929 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

View Postecbenito, on 17 June 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Vegas has the Cavs opening at favorites to win the title next year. I guess upgrading to a roster with Kyrie, Kevin Love and Anderson Varejao instead of JR Smith, Dellavadova and Shawn Marion is worth 2 wins in the finals.

I think it has more to do with the East just not getting better and them having about a 90% chance of being in the finals
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#930 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:51 PM

Wait, I thought Karl Anthony Towns had demanded to play for the Knicks, while Draymond Green, Goran Dragic and Jimmy Butler dividing the remaining $30M of cap space because they all wanted to play with Melo and for Phil?
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#931 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

View Postjcharding, on 17 June 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Wait, I thought Karl Anthony Towns had demanded to play for the Knicks, while Draymond Green, Goran Dragic and Jimmy Butler dividing the remaining $30M of cap space because they all wanted to play with Melo and for Phil?

I thought Towns was demanding to go at #2 to LA.

God help whoever gives max deals to Draymon Green and Jimmy Butler and you know that they're both going to end up on max deals.

#932 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

View Postecbenito, on 17 June 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

God help whoever gives max deals to Draymon Green and Jimmy Butler and you know that they're both going to end up on max deals.

If Jimmy Butler is your best player that's not a good thing

#933 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

and I'm seeing more mocks that have the 76ers taking Porzingis. The kid has a ton of potential and could end up being one of the best players in this draft if he puts on some muscle, but my God I can't wait to see Philadelphia fans freak the fuck out if they take him and Russel/Mudiay/Winslow are all still available.

#934 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

View Postecbenito, on 17 June 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

and I'm seeing more mocks that have the 76ers taking Porzingis. The kid has a ton of potential and could end up being one of the best players in this draft if he puts on some muscle, but my God I can't wait to see Philadelphia fans freak the fuck out if they take him and Russel/Mudiay/Winslow are all still available.

I don't really get why people get so mad when their team takes a foreign player because its a "risk." Most of the American guys don't pan out either. It's not like anyone in the draft is a mortal lock to be an all star.

#935 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 17 June 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

I don't really get why people get so mad when their team takes a foreign player because its a "risk." Most of the American guys don't pan out either. It's not like anyone in the draft is a mortal lock to be an all star.

Because the casual fan has never heard of the foreign guys. They know Towns or Russell or the Duke guys.

#936 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

I was breaking down the International and Euro failure rates over roughly the last decade. Those failure rates look a lot like how often Georgetown players flop. A decade or so ago I can see the angst. But there have only been 8-10 players over the last decade with no US ties (for example Kanter went to Kentucky, even if he never played there), and there just isn't enough there to continue to support the idea that Euros are a disaster waiting to happen.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#937 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

View Postecbenito, on 17 June 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

Butler seems to be considering signing a shorter deal and making bank once the cap goes up.

#938 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

View Postjcharding, on 17 June 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

I was breaking down the International and Euro failure rates over roughly the last decade. Those failure rates look a lot like how often Georgetown players flop. A decade or so ago I can see the angst. But there have only been 8-10 players over the last decade with no US ties (for example Kanter went to Kentucky, even if he never played there), and there just isn't enough there to continue to support the idea that Euros are a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah now those guys are seen regularly and there is hours of film of them actually playing. It used to be grainy videos of them shooting jumpers

#939 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 17 June 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

Yeah now those guys are seen regularly and there is hours of film of them actually playing. It used to be grainy videos of them shooting jumpers

or the 1 4 minute tape of Ricky Rubio ball handling and Minnesota decided to draft 3 pgs in the first round

and I think that Porzingis has a chance to be really good, he looks really fluid when he's moving with the ball and can shoot, he's just needs to get bigger to handle the physicality of the NBA. It will just be such a Philadelphia reaction to freak the fuck out about them drafting him over someone from the NCAA. Hell, they'd probably freak out if the 76ers drafted Mudiay (although he seems to really be dropping). The kid could turn out to be the next Dirk Nowitski and Philly would lose it's collective shit.

#940 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

LeBron has a lot of power in Cleveland, but this seems a bit too much, IMO.

And we likewise saw LeBron emasculate David Blatt in ways that are simply unbecoming of a player of James' legend-in-the-making stature.

I saw it from close range in my role as sideline reporter through the Finals for ESPN Radio. LeBron essentially calling timeouts and making substitutions. LeBron openly barking at Blatt after decisions he didn't like. LeBron huddling frequently with Lue and so often looking at anyone other than Blatt.

There was LeBron, in one instance I witnessed from right behind the bench, shaking his head vociferously in protest after one play Blatt drew up in the third quarter of Game 5, amounting to the loudest nonverbal scolding you could imagine.

Which forced Blatt, in front of his whole team, to wipe the board clean and draw up something else.

http://espn.go.com/b...latt-unbecoming

Share this topic:

• 65 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic