• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dejan leaving the Trib Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

If Dejan were as great as he is in his own mind, the logical move would have been to espn or Fox sports. The fact that he has to start his own venture is telling. I'm with JK: this looks like career suicide. Seriously, enough people are going to pay for his self-centered observations for him to make a living? Impossible.

But as you all have written, this sure explains a great deal about what a weird jerk he's been the last few months.

#22 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

I seem to be in the minority here thinking this is probably going to work for him given the following he has and name recognition in the city. Combined with a price that most would find very affordable $54 for three years, I think this actually works out for him at least initially. At that point it will be in his hands as to whether he keeps those subscribers and attracts new ones.
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#23 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I will say this at least he waited until his vacation is over to make the announcement.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#24 User is offline   JamesKPolk 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I hope it does work out for him because I hate so see anyone fall flat in terms of employment. I just don't see how it's plausible because the costs must be so high and the most marketable component of the product is available for free elsewhere. We shall see. I just don't plan to pay for it.
How long, Peggy?!

#25 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 21 July 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

I seem to be in the minority here thinking this is probably going to work for him given the following he has and name recognition in the city. Combined with a price that most would find very affordable $54 for three years, I think this actually works out for him at least initially. At that point it will be in his hands as to whether he keeps those subscribers and attracts new ones.

I don't. It's information that can be had too easily for free.

The only way it works for him if at least 75% of his posts are on the Steelers. Even then, I think it's a failed venture.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#26 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

POPULAR

View PostJamesKPolk, on 21 July 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

I hope it does work out for him because I hate so see anyone fall flat in terms of employment. I just don't see how it's plausible because the costs must be so high and the most marketable component of the product is available for free elsewhere. We shall see. I just don't plan to pay for it.

I don't. He's an asshole. Why do I care if he fails. It won't be the end of the world. He will likely go right back to the PG or Trib.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#27 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 21 July 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

I don't know. He needs at least 5,000 subscribers to make that work economically, and even that's probably not enough. I think Dejan's been reading too many of his loyal chat participants who tell him how fantastic he is. Are there really that many people who are going to pay for material they can get for free just about anywhere? Is Dejan that good? Speaking for myself, I waited years to sign up for espn insider and have dropped my Baseball Prospectus subscription because of all their turnover. Their material is 10 times better than anything that Dejan will be able to produce.

How generous are his sponsor(s) going to be? I think that's the key to the viability of this venture.

#28 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

View PostCobra, on 21 July 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

I don't know. He needs at least 5,000 subscribers to make that work economically, and even that's probably not enough. I think Dejan's been reading too many of his loyal chat participants who tell him how fantastic he is. Are there really that many people who are going to pay for material they can get for free just about anywhere? Is Dejan that good? Speaking for myself, I waited years to sign up for espn insider and have dropped my Baseball Prospectus subscription because of all their turnover. Their material is 10 times better than anything that Dejan will be able to produce.

How generous are his sponsor(s) going to be? I think that's the key to the viability of this venture.

They won't be generous at all. When he starts costing them, they will drop him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#29 Guest_u0007890_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostCobra, on 21 July 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

He has about 50,000 Twitter followers, so he'd need to get 10% to sign up to get to 5,000. Figure the average person will sign up for the year at $24 (some will do the 3 years, some will do it monthly, but that's probably a close average), that's $120,000 from readership if he can get 10%. Like many others, I have no intention of paying for it as it's really just opinion and it's not like he breaks news or has sources or anything. He'll make more money in the short run with a paywall, but I personally think he'd be way better off doing it for free, at least at first, to ramp up the page views and to get advertisers and sponsors on board...then integrate a pay feature once you've established a base.

#30 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I think this would work out for him, not just initially, but in the long run if he were a single guy. He's going to get a lot of people to sign up this, because, as amazing as it is, he's the top dog in this city's sports media. It really shows how awful the sports media is in Pittsburgh when Dejan is the top guy. We'll see what kind of advertising he gets ...

The greatest hurdle for him will be to keep people coming back for content and providing a high enough amount of volume so that lurkers, like I'm sure some of us will be, can't use multiple computers, browsers, etc, to get all of his content without paying. If people were smart and knew sports, they wouldn't sign up in the first place, and they'd be lurkers. People aren't that smart.

I think he'll do fine, but not enough in the long run to be as profitable as he was as the Trib's columnist. Dejan, imo, will need to expand to make the most profitable site possible by bringing in some quality younger guys that don't have a full-time job yet that want the exposure. Pay them dirt cheap and increase revenue. That's one area where I think Dejan and Tammay differ ... if Dejan makes the right decision to seek out help from others, he'll get high quality help (at least I hope he would) not the Kristy Robinsons of the sports world.

Disclaimer: This in no way reflects my thoughts and deep affection for clemente_in_right, who once wrote for Cumdumpster Tammay.

#31 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Personally, I'd rather pay the higher monthly rate for a full newspaper (PG is ~$300 per year). You get all the news, not just a single sports columnist. You even get a home paper plus all the digital content. How many Dejan-type online subscriptions would you need to find to get comparable coverage?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#32 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 July 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Personally, I'd rather pay the higher monthly rate for a full newspaper (PG is ~$300 per year). You get all the news, not just a single sports columnist. You even get a home paper plus all the digital content. How many Dejan-type online subscriptions would you need to find to get comparable coverage?

That's the big reason why he needs more people to help him. Dejan alone is just him doing even less work than he is now for the Trib (at least that's the impression he's given on Twitter). That's very little content. If you can only go to his site once a day and find one new thing from the previous day, the appeal is going to fade.

#33 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 July 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

I know it's old-fahsioned, but I get the Trib thrown in my driveway every morning, every day of the year for $52 a year.

I like their sports section, and I am inclined to read other news stories that I wouldn't click on if I were seeking out information on a news site.

Nobody in their right mind will pay for Dejan's site.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#34 Guest_u0007890_*

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

@Dejan_Kovacevic: Here's the super-fancy logo for the site, which will be based off the WordPress platform: http://t.co/P3V46qryB8

#35 Guest_u0007890_*

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

POPULAR

View PostWinters in Holland, on 21 July 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

+1

It's one thing to disagree on sports, but when Dejan started to go after fans online that dared to disagree with him, or call him out on his inconsistencies, that's when any sentiment that I potentially would have had vanished.

You couldn't possibly have typed this with a straight face.

#36 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

could be that the writing is on the wall for the Trib as a viable paper. Hasn't it been a big money loser that Scaiffe supported?

#37 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

View Postu0007890, on 21 July 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

He has about 50,000 Twitter followers, so he'd need to get 10% to sign up to get to 5,000. Figure the average person will sign up for the year at $24 (some will do the 3 years, some will do it monthly, but that's probably a close average), that's $120,000 from readership if he can get 10%. Like many others, I have no intention of paying for it as it's really just opinion and it's not like he breaks news or has sources or anything. He'll make more money in the short run with a paywall, but I personally think he'd be way better off doing it for free, at least at first, to ramp up the page views and to get advertisers and sponsors on board...then integrate a pay feature once you've established a base.

I doubt the pay wall is going to be the only source of his bread and butter. This sponsor will probably have its name all over every single article, post, email, etc., and they're paying for that. It's a marketing expense for them and I doubt they expect too much in the way of a positive return from the pay wall. That's why he's been fluffing his twitter and facebook numbers . . . those are the metrics he provided to this sponsor/advertiser.

The question will be whether or not the sponsor wants to be associated with a douche.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#38 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostECBucs, on 21 July 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

could be that the writing is on the wall for the Trib as a viable paper. Hasn't it been a big money loser that Scaiffe supported?

It's my understanding that both Pittsburgh dailies are money-losers, propped up with private money to support their respective and opposing political idealogies.

Consider that the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, which owns the Cleveland marketet with no daily competition, only offers home delivery three days a week.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#39 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

This is gonna blow up in his face.

Part of the reason he's popular is that his Trib content was FREE.

#40 Guest_blurjose_*

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 21 July 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

This is gonna blow up in his face.

Part of the reason he's popular is that his Trib content was FREE.

Two more reasons:

1) People are stupid

2) People like train wrecks.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic