• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dejan leaving the Trib Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_u0007890_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic ·4 mins
So proud, so excited to announce here that I'm launching my own corporate-sponsored, subscription-based website: DK on Pittsburgh Sports

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic ·4 mins
In doing so, I’m also saying goodbye to the Trib after three wonderful years there. But time is right, opportunity is once in a lifetime.

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic ·5 mins
The site, which launches Wednesday, has a subscription rate as low as $1.50/month. Full details: https://www.facebook...ejankovacevic15

Explains a lot, really.

#2 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

View Postu0007890, on 21 July 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic ∑4 mins
So proud, so excited to announce here that I'm launching my own corporate-sponsored, subscription-based website: DK on Pittsburgh Sports

In doing so, Iím also saying goodbye to the Trib after three wonderful years there. But time is right, opportunity is once in a lifetime.

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic ∑5 mins
The site, which launches Wednesday, has a subscription rate as low as $1.50/month. Full details: https://www.facebook...ejankovacevic15 Ö

Explains a lot, really.

Yeah, people are going to pay $1.50 and up a month to read Dejan.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#3 User is offline   westpalmburgher 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Explains why he suddenly followed me on Twitter this weekend

#4 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

View Postu0007890, on 21 July 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

In doing so, Iím also saying goodbye to the Trib after three wonderful years there. But time is right, opportunity is once in a lifetime.

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic ∑5 mins
The site, which launches Wednesday, has a subscription rate as low as $1.50/month. Full details: https://www.facebook...ejankovacevic15 Ö

Explains a lot, really.

Career suicide.

Nice knowing you, asshole.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#5 Guest_u0007890_*

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

1. To my friends and loyal readers,

Iím announcing here and on other social media platforms that, after 25 years of award-winning work for our city's two largest newspapers, Iím embarking on my own to start DK on Pittsburgh Sports, a corporate-sponsored, subscription-based web site in which Iíll continue to cover the local sports scene at the highest level and with a wholly independent drive.

That,... of course, means I've resigned from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, where I was lead sports columnist since June 2011 and all of our cityís major-league teams as well as the London and Sochi Olympics. Iím deeply grateful to executive editor Frank Craig, sports editor Kevin Smith and everyone else at the Trib who believed in me, especially since I arrived with zero experience in writing columns, or opinion pieces. Iím proud to have been part of that outstanding staff of reporters and editors.

DKonPittsburghSports.com will launch Wednesday with a column about the Pirates.

A few other points:

>> Subscription rates are $4 for a month, $24 for a year, $54 for three years. The latter category breaks down to $1.50 a month. The aim of keeping the price at roughly one-third that of comparable sites is to encourage more traffic, more discussion.

>> The site will have a metered paywall, meaning non-subscribers can read up to 10 articles per month. That includes seamless passage from Twitter, Facebook or any social media platform. New readers always will be more than welcome this way.

>> Iíll continue to have full credentialed access to the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Pitt and other local teams, thanks to their enthusiastic cooperation in this endeavor.

>> Iíll write the standard three or four regular-length, newspaper-style columns per week, but Iíll also break news or offer quick views on other news, no matter where it originates. Iíll report from practices and games. Iíll travel, too. Iíll be at every Steelers game, at all playoff games for all teams, at all training camps in Latrobe and Bradenton.

>> The online platform will allow for different multimedia approaches, including exclusive video interviews and other features. Among the latter, Iíll bring back the popular Things That Make Pittsburgh Great feature, now in visual form.

>> The corporate sponsor will be announced on another day. Suffice it to say for now itís an extremely generous gesture with a goal of getting this site off to a healthy start. Much more on that with the announcement.
Plain and simple, Iím doing this because the time feels right, both in my life and in the industry as a whole. Moreover, I believe in my readers and a connection I feel has been made over the years with Pittsburgh sports fans far and wide. I believe with all my heart it will succeed.

If you have any questions, please email me at DKonPittsburghSports@gmail.com or comment here below. I promise to try to get back to each inquiry.

#6 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

POPULAR

$1.50 a month for that drivel makes Clint Barmes' contract seem reasonable.

#7 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostJeff King, on 21 July 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Career suicide.

fuck him.

he should pay me to read his bullshit

#8 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

POPULAR

This is what happens when douchebags think they are more relevant than the material they cover.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#9 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

So the question is: if you subscribe will you be allowed to express your opinions on his website or will they be edited? And eventually deleted when the discussion is over.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#10 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

It's going to have to be an extremely healthy sponsorship to take care of all the travel and still support a family.

#11 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 July 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

So the question is: if you subscribe will you be allowed to express your opinions on his website or will they be edited? And eventually deleted when the discussion is over.

I'm not going to pay to find out. I'm sure that word will filter down whether he is going to allow dissenting opinions.

#12 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I have a feeling the decision was last minute and it caught people off guard, though this explains why Dejan turned soffffffff in 2014, maybe even mid 2013. He needed support from local teams and the widest target audience possible. I like to call them the rah rah fans.

#13 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

All of our bans have been lifted on Twitter, who's signing up for this?

#14 Guest_u0007890_*

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostThunder, on 21 July 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

It's going to have to be an extremely healthy sponsorship to take care of all the travel and still support a family.

I wonder if they'll include season lift tickets for his whole family.

#15 User is offline   JamesKPolk 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

POPULAR

This absolutely explains all the odd behavior the past year + on his part. Puts the "friend me on Facebook - I'll friend you back!" tweets into context too. Dude has simply been trying to activate traffic and get people to talk about him alongside the material as much as possible. Getting his name into sentences about the Pirates, Pens, and Steelers, thus made him seem like enough of a story for somebody to invest in this project (people don't just want sports....they want sports AND Dejan!!!). The thing is, the Trib will hire somebody else to cover this material who might not be a douche. They might talk about the team instead of themselves. They might not antagonize fans, spaz out online, then delete the evidence of the spaz fest. I can then follow him/her without paying extra money. The new person might not try so hard to add themselves to the narrative, thereby making it easier to enjoy sports coverage.

Maybe this means we can all shake off the stink of diva reporting. This, to me, feels like the journalistic equivalent of a selfie.
How long, Peggy?!

#16 User is offline   JamesKPolk 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostWinters in Holland, on 21 July 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

I wonder what Dejean is going to do with the $9.00/month this is going to net him.

The one and only one thing that will be interesting is, obviously wanting to make a big splash on his website, and no longer encumbered by the political correctness that probably comes with writing for the Trib, if he DOES have any good Nutting dirt, etc., I bet he airs it out quickly.

Right. If he did the job I think he's actually capable of doing, it might be interesting. Still not interesting enough for me to want to pay, as all the money would be for Dejan rather than Pittsburgh sports (which are covered for free elsewhere).

Does this mean he will now refer to himself as a basement blogger (on Wordpress!!!)?
How long, Peggy?!

#17 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostThunder, on 21 July 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

I'm not going to pay to find out. I'm sure that word will filter down whether he is going to allow dissenting opinions.

You don't need to. Access it through different browsers and different machines. Use your 10 freebies on each. That's what I do with the Washington Post. I use different browsers on my laptops and also use my Kindle Fire. Of course that assumes that you want to read his shit.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#18 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

View PostJeff King, on 21 July 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Career suicide.

Yep, he's retrograding to becoming tim.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#19 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

View PostJamesKPolk, on 21 July 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Does this mean he will now refer to himself as a basement blogger (on Wordpress!!!)?

It means he will no longer have to check his bank account, and he can eat at Applebee's whenever he pleases.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#20 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostWinters in Holland, on 21 July 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

I wonder what Dejean is going to do with the $9.00/month this is going to net him.

The one and only one thing that will be interesting is, obviously wanting to make a big splash on his website, and no longer encumbered by the political correctness that probably comes with writing for the Trib, if he DOES have any good Nutting dirt, etc., I bet he airs it out quickly.

I don't know, if he's going at it as an independent I'd think he'd be even more inclined to stay on the good side of teams. Teams aren't just going to strip credentials of somebody that works for a major news outlet (or the outlet itself) for a negative story. But DKonSports? What the hell do they care if they stop granting access to that.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic