• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official Beer Thread Long Time Overdue Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   westpalmburgher 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

Loving some Merry Monks lately. Anyone else have it?

#22 User is online   hir51 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 14 November 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

See, I always considered Sam Adams good beer.

It could be. I don't know though.

#23 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

View Posthir51, on 14 November 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

It could be. I don't know though.

Shitty.

Prolly.
Get it?

#24 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

View Postmonarch0, on 14 November 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

The original isn't great, but Sam Summer Ale and Oktoberfest are quality beers IMO.

I'll take your word for it. Haven't had either in quite a while, and was mainly just fucking with hir.
Get it?

#25 User is offline   Dave Kerwin 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Damn this thread is making me want a beer and for whatever reason I didn't have one tonight. A lot of good shit mentioned here. I love every founders beer I've had: centennial, all day, red ryePA, breakfast stout is crazy good. Like just about all smuttynose as well. Stone makes a good IPA. Brooklyn brewery makes an east India pale ale that I love and a good brown ale. Flying dog usually has beers I like, I think a Belgian style IPA is my favorite of theirs, and I love the Ralph steadman art on the bottles. Rogue makes great beer but I hardly see it anywhere these days.

Anyone ever have beer from mikeller or evil twin? Their shit is amazing and accordingly expensive, mikeller anyway (the breweries are run by brothers, I forget where they're from). Amazing shit. I just had a coffee IPA from mikeller the other day. The most interesting beer I've ever had. As for coffee beer wolavers makes far and away the best: Alta Gracia Coffee Porter.

I love beer. Potashtic and me and a friend brew about once every month or two. Have recently made an oatmeal stout, IPA, coffee porter, Belgian saison, and a pumpkin brown ale. Think we're brewing a chocolate stout next weekend.

Where's Uber Bier Mensch?

#26 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

I have not tried any Indonesian beers yet. I guess I should.

Several teachers here have told me about various outings that were in "bars" or taken "for drinks," and then were in a hurry to tell me "but no alcohol, just __________." So maybe it's not usual for teachers to drink here.

I used to go out with teachers in Bozeman, and we were a big bunch of drunks. Culture, I guess.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#27 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostDave Kerwin, on 15 November 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

Anyone ever have beer from mikeller or evil twin? Their shit is amazing and accordingly expensive, mikeller anyway (the breweries are run by brothers, I forget where they're from). Amazing shit. I just had a coffee IPA from mikeller the other day. The most interesting beer I've ever had. As for coffee beer wolavers makes far and away the best: Alta Gracia Coffee Porter.

Mikeller is out of Denmark. Although I believe one brother runs the brewery while the other runs a local beer store in Copenhagen. I met them at a beer festival and hooked them up with some East End Gratitude Barleywine while I was at a beer festival in Copenhagen several years ago.

I don't think we get it here, but I want to try the Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#28 User is offline   Dave Kerwin 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostPF82, on 15 November 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

Mikeller is out of Denmark. Although I believe one brother runs the brewery while the other runs a local beer store in Copenhagen. I met them at a beer festival and hooked them up with some East End Gratitude Barleywine while I was at a beer festival in Copenhagen several years ago.

I don't think we get it here, but I want to try the Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break.

That's awesome. Haven't had the biscotti break but my friend says its incredible. If I could afford it I'd have a big bottle (at least) of mikeller or evil twin in fridge for every day of the week. Have you had any of those single hop beers they made? Really good, and an interesting concept to showcase ingredients. Think they do something similar with yeasts.

#29 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

I went to Buffalo Blues last night and tried their rotating beer that they brew. It was ok, not exactly sure what kind it was but it had some kind of fruit flavor in it. I generally don't like beers with a fruit taste, but this one was subtle and I could tolerate it.

I immediately defaulted back to Bell's Two Hearted and all was right in the world.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#30 User is online   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostPF82, on 14 November 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

This is the thread to discuss all things beer. The beer you're drinking. What you'd like to drink. Requests for recommendations. Cool breweries you've been too. The new brewery you're looking to open up (*nudge*).

I'm about to crack open one of these.

Posted Image

dank!

I believe we had a few of these before the Reds/Buccos Wild Card game right?
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#31 User is online   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 15 November 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

I immediately defaulted back to Bell's Two Hearted and all was right in the world.

I fully support this message...so awesome
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#32 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostDave Kerwin, on 15 November 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

Damn this thread is making me want a beer and for whatever reason I didn't have one tonight. A lot of good shit mentioned here. I love every founders beer I've had: centennial, all day, red ryePA, breakfast stout is crazy good. Like just about all smuttynose as well. Stone makes a good IPA. Brooklyn brewery makes an east India pale ale that I love and a good brown ale. Flying dog usually has beers I like, I think a Belgian style IPA is my favorite of theirs, and I love the Ralph steadman art on the bottles. Rogue makes great beer but I hardly see it anywhere these days.

I love beer. Potashtic and me and a friend brew about once every month or two. Have recently made an oatmeal stout, IPA, coffee porter, Belgian saison, and a pumpkin brown ale. Think we're brewing a chocolate stout next weekend.

Where's Uber Bier Mensch?

A friend and I home brew occasionally. For one of my Christmas presents this year, my wife is having a two keg tap built into our bar downstairs. I will have fresh draught home brew year round.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#33 User is offline   Dave Kerwin 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 15 November 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

A friend and I home brew occasionally. For one of my Christmas presents this year, my wife is having a two keg tap built into our bar downstairs. I will have fresh draught home brew year round.

That is awesome, and dare I say it, extravagant.

#34 User is offline   Dave Kerwin 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 15 November 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

I went to Buffalo Blues last night and tried their rotating beer that they brew. It was ok, not exactly sure what kind it was but it had some kind of fruit flavor in it. I generally don't like beers with a fruit taste, but this one was subtle and I could tolerate it.

I forgot about bells because I never see it but they make incredible beer. Oberon is great. Think have a vanilla something or other porter that is delicious as well.

#35 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 15 November 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

I believe we had a few of these before the Reds/Buccos Wild Card game right?

Yes. Yes we did.
"I have to admit

#36 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostDave Kerwin, on 15 November 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

That's awesome. Haven't had the biscotti break but my friend says its incredible. If I could afford it I'd have a big bottle (at least) of mikeller or evil twin in fridge for every day of the week. Have you had any of those single hop beers they made? Really good, and an interesting concept to showcase ingredients. Think they do something similar with yeasts.

Mikeller isnt readily distributed here so I havent tried their single hop beers, although many other brewers have also done single hop beers (Victory, East End) that I've tried.
"I have to admit

#37 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostDave Kerwin, on 15 November 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

That is awesome, and dare I say it, extravagant.

Extravagant without overkill.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#38 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDave Kerwin, on 15 November 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

I forgot about bells because I never see it but they make incredible beer. Oberon is great. Think have a vanilla something or other porter that is delicious as well.

Agree on the Oberon and the Porter.

It's taken me a long time to appreciate heavier beers. I'm still not big on stouts, with the exception of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. There are several good porters out there, at least that I know about.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#39 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I had a Bud Light last week.

#40 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hey beer experts:

I'm looking for a good Christmas Beer to take to a beer exchange party next week. I'm in Pittsburgh, as is the party, and I really enjoy the darker stoutd takes on holiday brews -- like Penn Brewing's St. Nikolaus Bock -- but I'm looking for something that is a little more off the beaten path, yet something I can buy by the case at a retail outlet here. I only have a week to get it.

I appreciate the advice from our resident beer experts.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

Share this topic:

• 67 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic