• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game of Thrones too long to stick in the TV thread Rate Topic: -----

#341 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostLonghornBuc, on 13 June 2016 - 05:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

Thought that was addressed at The Battle of the Blackwater, Tyrion vs Stannis? I'm going to disagree with your theory.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#342 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

I know Rickon is a dumbshit and all, but why would you run in a straight line? that's just fucking retarded

#343 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:16 PM

Now that's a great episode of television.

#344 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:30 AM

Definitely the most satisfying for sure.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#345 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

I felt more satisfaction in Ramsay dying than I did Joffry.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#346 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostLonghornBuc, on 20 June 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

I don't guess this show right often, but that scene was awesome. The battle scenes were great as well. Best hour of the series?

I'd say so. It was like a rollercoaster with Jon Snow. "oh shit he's going to make it, oh fuck he's going to die, they can't do this to me a gain. No Thormund!"
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#347 User is offline   SyrBucco 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

View PostLonghornBuc, on 20 June 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

I don't guess this show right often, but that scene was awesome. The battle scenes were great as well. Best hour of the series?

Tex, that was how I felt about it : best show in the history of my favorite program. Strong praise, but I liked it so much I watched it twice last night.
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe

#348 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 20 June 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

I'd say so. It was like a rollercoaster with Jon Snow. "oh shit he's going to make it, oh fuck he's going to die, they can't do this to me a gain. No Thormund!"

That battle scene was epic. Sorry to see the Giant go. As a huge Fantasy geek I love what Game of Thrones has done simply in its visuals. I can't recall any other Fantasy portrayal that's shown so many different types of creatures/monsters. I mean, of course there's Lord of the Rings, but apart from that, nothing even on the same scale. My favorites so far are definitely the Giants and also the way the skeletons with the white walkers have been portrayed. Also it seems to me that The Mountain is most likely a Flesh Golem. I'm guessing he's going to cause significant carnage during the season finale next week.

I did have one small complaint about the Battle of the Bastards (apart from Rickon's failure to duck and weave) . . . it didn't seem likely to me that the Stark forces would have been contained so easily for the shield wall/pincers attack. Given there were no real constraints on the battle field, I can't see why or how the wall of dead was formed, or why the Stark forces were so close together for that to be possible. It was a neat dramatic effect, and the suspense of a scene where they stop the battle and then slowly press to the end was cool, but I didn't see it evolving naturally to that point from how they set up the battle to start.

Also, they've gone to the well one too many times with reinforcements showing up at the last minute to turn the tide. Tywin arriving at the Battle of Black Water Bay, Stanis' help to defeat of the Wildlings North of the Wall, and then arguably three times in just this episode (the Dragons returning to Danny in Mereen, Jon Snow's cavalry getting to him just before the Bolton Cavalry did, and then the Knights of the Vale).
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#349 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostSyrBucco, on 20 June 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Tex, that was how I felt about it : best show in the history of my favorite program. Strong praise, but I liked it so much I watched it twice last night.

I plan on watching it again tonight. I rarely watch anything besides comedies more than once but this on I'll watch a few more times for sure.

I did have one small complaint about the Battle of the Bastards (apart from Rickon's failure to duck and weave) . . . it didn't seem likely to me that the Stark forces would have been contained so easily for the shield wall/pincers attack. Given there were no real constraints on the battle field, I can't see why or how the wall of dead was formed, or why the Stark forces were so close together for that to be possible. It was a neat dramatic effect, and the suspense of a scene where they stop the battle and then slowly press to the end was cool, but I didn't see it evolving naturally to that point from how they set up the battle to start.

Honestly I didn't even notice it or even dissect it until someone else brought it up. Maybe thats praise for the director that something like that seemed fine to me in the moment. I don't think GRRM will write it that way into the book, but for the show I'm fine with it. Definitely had a charge of the Rohirrim quality to it, which isn't a bad thing. Someone on Reddit said it best, the biggest twist now with Game of Thrones is that there isn't any twists. You expect Jon to die or Dany or something otherwordly but then it doesn't happen. Like people were speculating that it wasn't Arya, but Jaqen that got stabbed or something odd like that. You get so paranoid that they don't even have to write in any scary/suspenseful parts, your brain does the work instead.

#350 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostMa13tt0, on 20 June 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Someone on Reddit said it best, the biggest twist now with Game of Thrones is that there isn't any twists. You expect Jon to die or Dany or something otherwordly but then it doesn't happen. Like people were speculating that it wasn't Arya, but Jaqen that got stabbed or something odd like that. You get so paranoid that they don't even have to write in any scary/suspenseful parts, your brain does the work instead.

I agree with this. Much like real life, any outcome is possible. Characters on GoT are not "protected" just because they're main/important characters. They can die at any moment. Part of me thought Jon might actually get smothered in the battle, and that he, Davos, and Torin were all going to meet their ends. I still maintain that the end of the entire series could be the Night King celebrating the victory of the White Walkers as he finishes off the last human. I would absolutely love that ending.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#351 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 20 June 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

I agree with this. Much like real life, any outcome is possible. Characters on GoT are not "protected" just because they're main/important characters. They can die at any moment. Part of me thought Jon might actually get smothered in the battle, and that he, Davos, and Torin were all going to meet their ends. I still maintain that the end of the entire series could be the Night King celebrating the victory of the White Walkers as he finishes off the last human. I would absolutely love that ending.

GRRM said that the ending would be bitter sweet. So I thought what we would be a cool "happy" ending but also kinda bummed. Maybe Jon or Dany being the ruler of a ruined country? Davos or Thormund or other likeable characters sacrificing themselves? One of Martin's biggest themes seems to be war is hell, especially for the little guy. So the rulers play their games and the lesser folk deal with the fallout. I think whatever happens in the end would probably look like a war torn land with some exhausted countrymen. Not so much singing and dancing mini forest bears like in Return of the Jedi.

#352 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

One other thing I thought was cool last night, did anyone notice the shield Jon picks up is a Mormont shield? Probably looking too much into it but it does give you the feel of the North protecting the Starks (the north remembers).

#353 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 20 June 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

I could be wrong about this but don't the White Walkers need human babies to further their species? Already dead humans become Wights and there won't be much need for Wights if there is no more fighting to be done. Wasn't that the purpose of Craster's Keep? To supply the White Walkers with live humans to create more White Walkers?
Utah, get me two.

#354 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 20 June 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

I could be wrong about this but don't the White Walkers need human babies to further their species? Already dead humans become Wights and there won't be much need for Wights if there is no more fighting to be done. Wasn't that the purpose of Craster's Keep? To supply the White Walkers with live humans to create more White Walkers?

Seems that way. But the Night King looked like the original White Walker from the the Children of the Forest created him. So my guess is they can live pretty damn long.

The white walkers are my biggest concern about the show. We know so little and theres only 1 more season left.

#355 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostMa13tt0, on 20 June 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Seems that way. But the Night King looked like the original White Walker from the the Children of the Forest created him. So my guess is they can live pretty damn long.

The white walkers are my biggest concern about the show. We know so little and theres only 1 more season left.

Well yeah, they live a long time but I would think
The point of taking over Westeros (and the rest of the world) would be to to populate it with White Walkers. If that's correct, they would need some human farms to do that.
Utah, get me two.

#356 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

Next Sunday is going to be so sad. Almost a year we will have to wait again. I hope this series never ends.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#357 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 20 June 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

The point of taking over Westeros (and the rest of the world) would be to to populate it with White Walkers. If that's correct, they would need some human farms to do that.

I don't think the undead care much for nation building. The White Walkers exist to kill humans. They don't think of much after that. Also, White Walkers can be created from people killed by other White Walkers, so there would be plenty new White Walkers if they're ultimately successful in the War against men anyway.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#358 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

View PostMa13tt0, on 20 June 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

We know so little and theres only 1 more season left.

Are you sure about that? I know it's only been picked up for one more season, but I didn't see that as confirmation that it's only going to last one more season. As slowly as they're moving now, I should think they'd need at least 2 or 3 seasons of the war with the White Walkers. If they continued to make this show for 20 years I bet I'd still look forwards to Sundays in the Spring.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#359 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 20 June 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

I guess I never saw them as "taking over" Westeros and more just saw them as wiping out humanity. They seem to have some sort of magical powers so I have no idea if they can have magic ice sex with each other.

#360 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 20 June 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

Are you sure about that? I know it's only been picked up for one more season, but I didn't see that as confirmation that it's only going to last one more season. As slowly as they're moving now, I should think they'd need at least 2 or 3 seasons of the war with the White Walkers. If they continued to make this show for 20 years I bet I'd still look forwards to Sundays in the Spring.

Yeah that's how I read it too. They can extend and keep making the show.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic