• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game of Thrones too long to stick in the TV thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_LonghornBuc_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Well a new season is here and that means a whole batch of new characters. Who are these people? What do theey want and why do they matter? All that and more in this edition of "Dank Bank's Little Nuggets" This year I figure the best way of doing this is to post a little snip from the books that gives you a better feel for the character. Ketch, if there is any sort of legal speed bump for posting the text from the book, let me know and I'll change plans.

Mance Rayder
- The King Beyond the Wall. Mance has been mentioned numerous times throughout the series and as early as the first episode but it is only now that we finally meet him. The King Beyond the Wall is a semi-official title that belongs to anyone that the Free Folk recognize as a leader. There have many different Kings Beyond the Wall over the centuries and each one was a dynamic individual who was both a fearsome warrior as well as a statesman capable of uniting the dozens of different tribes that live in the far north. These are the people that Time forgot; cannibal tribes, eskimo/viking tribes from the Bronze Age, a small kingdom in the remote north called Thenn, The Lord O' Bones and his people, etc. All of these people have flocked to Mance's side and declared him King for one reason: safety. They want to flee from the north and escape the White Walkers. Some of Mance's army has already made a run for it and climbed the Wall. (Osha)

Mance was born a wildling before joining the Night's Watch. How he joined escapes my memory at the moment but he served a number of years and knew many of the older members of the Watch well. The training and knowledge he gained from the Watch as well as his life-long relationship with the wildlings makes him a very formidable "King" perhaps the best yet. Mix in the rediscovered fear of the White Walkers and you have an entire continent worth of Free Folk lining up to serve Mance and go south.

In the book, Jon is surprised to learn that Mance has already met him and turns it to his advantage in order to infiltrate the wildlings.

"When King Robert came to Winterfell to make your father Hand," the King-beyond-the-Wall said lightly.
Jon's eyes widened in disbelief. "That can't be so."
"It was. When your father learned the king was coming, he sent word to his brother Benjen on the Wall, so he might come down for the feast. There is more commerce between the black brothers and the free folk than you know, and soon enough word came to my ears as well. It was too choice a chance to resist. Your uncle did not know me by sight, so I had no fear from that quarter, and I did not think your father was like to remember a young crow he'd met briefly years before. I wanted to see this Robert with my own eyes, king to king, and get the measure of your uncle Benjen as well. He was First Ranger by then, and the bane of all my people. So I saddled my fleetest horse, and rode."
"But," Jon objected, "the Wall..."
"The Wall can stop an army, but not a man alone. I took a lute and a bag of silver, scaled the ice near Long Barrow, walked a few leagues south of the New Gift, and bought a horse. All in all I made much better time than Robert, who was traveling with a ponderous great wheelhouse to keep his queen in comfort. A day south of Winterfell I came up on him and fell in with his company. Freeriders and hedge knights are always attaching themselves to royal processions, in hopes of finding service with the king, and my lute gained me easy acceptance." He laughed. "I know every bawdy song that's ever been made, north or south of the Wall. So there you are. The night your father feasted Robert, I sat in the back of his hall on a bench with the other freeriders, listening to Orland of Oldtown play the high harp and sing of dead kings beneath the sea. I betook of your lord father's meat and mead, had a look at Kingslayer and Imp... and made passing note of Lord Eddard's children and the wolf pups that ran at their heels."
"Bael the Bard," said Jon, remembering the tale that Ygritte had told him in the Frostfangs, the night he'd almost killed her.
"Would that I were. I will not deny that Bael's exploit inspired mine own... but I did not steal either of your sisters that I recall. Bael wrote his own songs, and lived them. I only sing the songs that better men have made. More mead?"
"No," said Jon. "if you had been discovered... taken..."
"Your father would have had my head off." The king gave a shrug. "Though once I had eaten at his board I was protected by guest right. The laws of hospitality are as old as the First Men, and sacred as a heart tree." He gestured at the board between them, the broken bread and chicken bones. "Here you are the guest, and safe from harm at my hands... this night, at least. So tell me truly, Jon Snow. Are you a craven who turned your cloak from fear, or is there another reason that brings you to my tent?"
Guest right or no, Jon Snow knew he walked on rotten ice here. One false step and he might plunge through, into water cold enough to stop his heart. Weigh every word before you speak it, he told himself. He took a long draught of mead to buy time for his answer. When he set the horn aside he said, "Tell me why you turned your cloak, and I'll tell you why I turned mine."
Mance Rayder smiled, as Jon had hoped he would. The king was plainly a man who liked the sound of his own voice. "You will have heard stories of my desertion, I have no doubt."
"Some say it was for a crown. Some say for a woman. Others that you had the wildling blood."
"The wildling blood is the blood of the First Men, the same blood that flows in the veins of the Starks. As to a crown, do you see one?"
Mance Rayder rose, unfastened the clasp that held his cloak, and swept it over the bench. "It was for this."
"A cloak?"
"The black wool cloak of a Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch," said the King-beyond-the-Wall. "One day on a ranging we brought down a fine big elk. We were skinning it when the smell of blood drew a shadowcat out of its lair. I drove it off, but not before it shredded my cloak to ribbons. Do you see? Here, here, and here?" He chuckled. "It shredded my arm and back as well, and I bled worse than the elk. My brothers feared I might die before they got me back to Maester Mullin at the Shadow Tower, so they carried me to a wildling village where we knew an old wisewoman did some healing. She was dead, as it happened, but her daughter saw to me. Cleaned my wounds, sewed me up, and fed me porridge and potions until I was strong enough to ride again. And she sewed up the rents in my cloak as well, with some scarlet silk from Asshai that her grandmother had pulled from the wreck of a cog washed up on the Frozen Shore. It was the greatest treasure she had, and her gift to me." He swept the cloak back over his shoulders. "But at the Shadow Tower, I was given a new wool cloak from stores, black and black, and trimmed with black, to go with my black breeches and black boots, my black doublet and black mail. The new cloak had no frays nor rips nor tears... and most of all, no red. The men of the Night's Watch dressed in black, Ser Denys Mallister reminded me sternly, as if I had forgotten. My old cloak was fit for burning now, he said."
"I left the next morning... for a place where a kiss was not a crime, and a man could wear any cloak he chose." He closed the clasp and sat back down again. "And you, Jon Snow?"
Jon took another swallow of mead. There is only one tale that he might believe. "You say you were at Winterfell, the night my father feasted King Robert."
"I did say it, for I was."
"Then you saw us all. Prince Joffrey and Prince Tommen, Princess Myrcella, my brothers Robb and Bran and Rickon, my sisters Arya and Sansa. You saw them walk the center aisle with every eye upon them and take their seats at the table just below the dais where the king and queen were seated."
"I remember."
"And did you see where I was seated, Mance?" He leaned forward. "Did you see where they put the bastard?"
Mance Rayder looked at Jon's face for a long moment. "I think we had best find you a new cloak," the king said, holding out his hand. (ASOS)

Tormund Giantsbane - Mance' right-hand man. Mance has named the chief of each tribe as a general of his large army and Tormund is the most famous and fearsome of them all. Tormund is Mance's most loyal general and probably the closest thing to a Hand of the King for the Free Folk. Tormund's support of Mance Rayder legitimized him in the eyes of all those who still didn't trust him and paved the way for the invasion forec you see in the camp. He got his nickname and many others through a series of stories that are best told by the man himself:

"Is it true you killed a giant once?" Jon asked Tormund as they rode. Ghost loped silently beside them, leaving paw prints in the new-fallen snow.
"Now why would you doubt a mighty man like me? It was winter and I was half a boy, and stupid the way boys are. I went too far and my horse died and then a storm caught me. A true storm, not no little dusting such as this. Har! I knew I'd freeze to death before it broke. So I found me a sleeping giant, cut open her belly, and crawled up right inside her. Kept me warm enough, she did, but the stink near did for me. The worst thing was, she woke up when the spring come and took me for her babe. Suckled me for three whole moons before I could get away. Har! There's times I miss the taste o' giant's milk, though."
"If she nursed you, you couldn't have killed her."
"I never did, but see you don't go spreading that about. Tormund Giantsbane has a better ring to it than Tormund Giantsbabe, and that's the honest truth o' it."
"So how did you come by your other names?" Jon asked. "Mance called you the Horn-Blower, didn't he? Mead-king of Ruddy Hall, Husband to Bears, Father to Hosts?" It was the horn blowing he particularly wanted to hear about, but he dared not ask too plainly. And Joramun blew the Horn of Winter, and woke giants from the earth. Is that where they had come from, them and their mammoths? Had Mance Rayder found the Horn of Joramun, and given it to Tormund Thunderfist to blow?
"Are all crows so curious?" asked Tormund. "Well, here's a tale for you. It were another winter, colder even than the one I spent inside that giant, and snowing day and night, snowflakes as big as your head, not these little things. It snowed so hard the whole village was half buried. I was in me Ruddy Hall, with only a cask o' mead to keep me company and nothing to do but drink it.
The more I drank the more I got to thinking about this woman lived close by, a fine strong woman with the biggest pair of teats you ever saw. She had a temper on her, that one, but oh, she could be warm too, and in the deep of winter a man needs his warmth.
"The more I drank the more I thought about her, and the more I thought the harder me member got, till I couldn't suffer it no more. Fool that I was, I bundled meself up in furs from head to heels, wrapped a winding wool around me face, and set off to find her. The snow was coming down so hard I got turned around once or twice, and the wind blew right through me and froze me bones, but finally I come on her, all bundled up like I was.
"The woman had a terrible temper, and she put up quite the fight when I laid hands on her. It was all I could do to carry her home and get her out o' them furs, but when I did, oh, she was hotter even than I remembered, and we had a fine old time, and then I went to sleep. Next morning when I woke the snow had stopped and the sun was shining, but I was in no fit state to enjoy it. All ripped and torn I was, and half me member bit right off, and there on me floor was a she-bear's pelt. And soon enough the free folk were telling tales o' this bald bear seen in the woods, with the queerest pair o' cubs behind her. Har!" He slapped a meaty thigh. "Would that I could find her again. She was fine to lay with, that bear. Never was a woman gave me such a fight, nor such strong sons neither."
'What could you do if you did find her?" Jon asked, smiling. "You said she bit your member off."
"Only half. And half me member is twice as long as any other man's." Tormund snorted. (ASOS)

And that's Tormund Giantsbane.

At the moment, the wildling camp is settled in a valley deep in the Frostfang Mountains which is quite a distance from the Wall. They will have to come down through the Skirling Pass and pass by the Fist of the First Men, where the White Walkers have just decimated the men of the Night's Watch.

http://gameofthrones.net/images/Westeros_Maps/land_beyond_the_wall_a_dance_with_dragons.jpg

Ser Barristan Selmy
- Last time we saw Barristan he was getting his pink slip and none too pleased by it. He had served the Mad King with honor and had it repaid with madness and he had served the Baratheons with honor and had it repaid with insults and disgrace. Not knowing what to do, he sets sail for the East in search of the last remaining member of the Targaryen dynasty. In the book he is far more cautious about his identity because he doesn't know if Dany will 1) Kill him for serving the Usurper 2) Wants to make sure she isn't crazy like her father. He poses as the elderly squire of a famous slave gladiator named Strong Belwas. I agree with other posters that trying this on the show would have been a little bit of a stretch and I can see why they didn't bother pretending he was someone else. (Plus, it's very easy for Strong Belwas to find his way into the story another way ala the Reeds and Tullys this season, so don't count him out.)

Barristan Selmy is probably the most famous knight in Westeros, certainly the most accomplished. In King's Landing, a large book known as the White Book contains the history of the Kingsgaurd and a bio of every man to ever don the white cloak. Barristan's reads as follows:

-Firstborn son of Ser Lyonel Selmy of Harvest Hall. Served as squire to Ser Manfred Swann. Named "the Bold" in his 10th year, when he donned borrowed armor to appear as a mystery knight in the tourney at Blackhaven, where he was defeated and unmasked by Duncan, Prince of Dragonflies.
-Knighted in his 16th year by King Aegon V Targaryen, after performing great feats of prowess as a mystery knight in the winter tourney at King's Landing, defeating Prince Duncan the Small and Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.
-Slew Maelys the Monstrous, last of the Blackfyre Pretenders, in single combat during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.
-Defeated Lormelle Long Lance and Cedrik Storm, the Bastard of Bronzegate.
-Named to the Kingsguard in his 23rd year, by Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower.
-Defended the passage against all challengers in the tourney of the Silver Bridge.
-Victor in the meddle at Maidenpool.
-Brought King Aerys II to safety during the Defiance of Duskendale, despite an arrow wound in the chest. Avenged the murder of his Sworn Brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt.
-Rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood, defeating Simon Toyne and the Smiling Knight, and slaying the former.
-In the Oldtown tourney, defeated and unmasked the mystery knight Blackshield, revealing him as the Bastard of Uplands.
-Sole champion of Lord Steffon's tourney at Storm's End, whereat he unhorsed Lord Robert Baratheon, Prince Oberyn Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Jon Connington, Lord Jason Mallister, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.
-Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident whilst fighting beside his Sworn Brothers and Rhaegar Prince of Dragonstone.
-Pardoned, and named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, by King Robert I Baratheon. Served in the honor guard that brought Lady Cersei of House Lannister to King's Landing to wed King Robert.
-Led the attack on Old Wyk during Balon Greyjoy's Rebellion.
-Champion of the tourney at King's Landing, in his 57th year.
-Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.

"You know him?" Dany asked the exile knight, lost.
"I saw him perhaps a dozen times... from afar most often, standing with his brothers or riding in some tourney. But every man in the Seven Kingdoms knew Barristan the Bold." He laid the point of his sword against the old man's neck. "Khaleesi, before you kneels Ser Barristan Selmy, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, who betrayed your House to serve the Usurper Robert Baratheon."
"Why are you here?" Dany demanded of him. "If Robert sent you to kill me, why did you save my life?" He served the Usurper. He betrayed Rhaegar's memory, and abandoned Viserys to live and die in exile. Yet if he wanted me dead, he need only have stood aside... "I want the whole truth now, on your honor as a knight. Are you the Usurper's man, or mine?"
"Yours, if you will have me." Ser Barristan had tears in his eyes. "I took Robert's pardon, aye. I served him in Kingsguard and council. Served with the Kingslayer and others near as bad, who soiled the white cloak I wore. Nothing will excuse that. I might be serving in King's Landing still if the vile boy upon the Iron Throne had not cast me aside, it shames me to admit. But when he took the cloak that the White Bull had draped about my shoulders, and sent men to kill me that selfsame day, it was as though he'd ripped a caul off my eyes. That was when I knew I must find my true king, and die in his service -"
"I can grant that wish," Ser Jorah said darkly.
"Quiet," said Dany. "I'll hear him out."
"It may be that I must die a traitor's death," Ser Barristan said. "If so, I should not die alone. Before I took Robert's pardon I fought against him on the Trident. You were on the other side of that battle, Mormont, were you not?" He did not wait for an answer. "Your Grace, I am sorry I misled you. It was the only way to keep the Lannisters from learning that I had joined you. You are watched, as your brother was. (ASOS)

Kraznys mo Nakloz - The slave trader. One of many slave traders in Astapor, Kraznys deals exclusively in the Unsullied, the most fearsome fighters in the known world. Kraznys is as warm and cheerful as you can expect from a man who deals in slave-soldiers, cutting off the nipple of one of the Unsullied to demonstrate their resistance to pain and rigid discipline. Kraznys is the second man in a long line of Easterners with unpronounceable names that will dangle military aid in Dany's face in order to see a little dragon magic. (RIP Xaro Xhoan Ducksauce)

The Unsullied
- If the Spartans had a baby with Seal Team 6 and it couldn't feel pain, it would be the Unsullied. I'll just post the little bullets from the wiki:

Unsullied are all former male slaves chosen young, for their size, speed and strength. The training starts a age 5 and is from dawn to dusk. It is brutal, designed not only to teach them how to fight, but to strip away all individuality, empathy, and self-worth. Only one in three survive, and those that fail at any stage are killed.

They are fully castrated - penis and testicles cut - and their manhoods burned at the altar of the Lady of Spears. This means that they cannot be a strong as whole men, but this is more than made up for by discipline. They regularly consume an elixir called the Wine of Courage (made with deadly nightshade, blood fly larva, lotus root, and many secret things) to deaden their sensitivity to pain. They drink it with every meal, and every year feel less and less pain.

Every day they choose new names at random by drawing tokens from a bucket, each consisting of a color and a type of vermin, such as "Grey Worm". Slaves that fail any aspect of their training are killed. Only a third of the slaves to enter training survive to become Unsullied.

On the day a boy is cut, he is given a puppy to take care of. At the end of the first year, the boy is made to strangle the puppy. Should he fail to do so, he is killed and fed to the surviving dogs. During training boys are culled whenever they fail a task, be it running all day in full pack, scaling a mountain at night or walking across a bed of coals. To win their spiked cap they must take a silver mark go to the slave markets and buy a newborn slave child and kill it before its mother and pay the slave's owner for his loss.

The slavers used to sell Unsullied in groups of 10 for household guards, but that proved unsound since they mingle with others, and forget who they are. Now they are sold only in groups of a century or thousand.

They fight in formation as light infantry, equipped with short spears, swords, round shields, and distinctive spiked caps. They fight fearlessly and obey without question. Their elite, highly specialized training makes them most effective in their phalanx formation. They do not ride horses.

Unsullied uniform are plain and without ornament, quilted tunic, a short sword, three spears and spiked bronze caps. One spike indicates a low rank, while three spikes going from front to back represent an officer.

They make excellent guards, do not loot and will never rape. They also worship a goddess of their own, whose name is kept in secret among them but is known as the Lady of Spears, the Bride of Battle and the Mother of Hosts.

They were most famously used in the Battle of Qohor, where three thousand Unsullied held back a Dothraki khalasar over fifty thousand strong. Only 600 of the Unsullied survived, having killed 12,000 of the Dothraki. To honor the Unsullied, the Dothraki rode in before the Unsullied line, throwing their cut braids down in front of them

Missandei - Kraznys's slave interpreter. In the book, everything Kraznys says is laced with hate and vitriol and Missandei does a masterful job of hiding it. Glad they kept that for the show.

Qyburn - The maester that Robb finds at Harrenhal. Qyburn is a mysterious figure and I'm not sure what the show is going to do with him so I'm going to speculate a little here. I don't think it's spoiling too much to reveal that Qyburn is one of the best medical minds of Westeros but has also been dismissed from the Citadel (Maester University) and barred from being a maester for some controversial methods and theories about life, death and magic. Outside of that, he is one of the biggest question marks in the series and very little is known about him or his motivations. He's kinda spooky. I mean, hell, they just found him in a pile of corpses.

#2 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Before I invest any time in this show, can someone definitively tell me…

Wizard Shit?

Not Wizard Shit?

#TMIQOTB
Get it?

#3 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostMartini, on 01 April 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Wizard Shit?

Not Wizard Shit?

#TMIQOTB

It's more a hot priestess kind of thing, but I'm not going to say there aren't any wizards.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#4 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 01 April 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

It's more a hot priestess kind of thing, but I'm not going to say there aren't any wizards.

Of course there's Wizard Shit. You don't think those dragons are real do you?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#5 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 01 April 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

But are there wizard SLEEVES? We're going to have to know.

#6 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostMartini, on 01 April 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Wizard Shit?

Not Wizard Shit?

#TMIQOTB

I know people that hate LOTR, Star Wars, and Harry Potter but love this. It's like a mixture of medieval, a little magic, an an incredibly built world that it all interacts in.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#7 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 01 April 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Of course there's Wizard Shit. You don't think those dragons are real do you?

I'm pretty sure dragons toasted the only wizard.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#8 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Did LHB author that, or is he a paying member to some D&D msg board like he is for Baseball America ?

#9 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Anyone have last year's thread handy with all the things in it? On my phone and can't use the search.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#10 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

View Postmonarch0, on 01 April 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Thanks LHB.

Spoiler

Did you read the books Monarch? Just asking.

I've read about this theory before and I LOVE it, but I'd be extremely suprised if this is the way they go with the series, as it hasn't played out yet through 5 books. I can't stress enough that A Storm of Swords which seasons 3 and season 4 of the show are supposed to be based on is the very best book in the series and advances the storyline a ton. I've read all 5 books and there's still a lot more questions than answers so far.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#11 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

All sounds just gay as shit.
Get it?

#12 User is offline   hir51 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostMartini, on 01 April 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

All sounds just gay as shit.

That's my take. So I haven't watched it. Although I hear there's some nice nudity in it.

But I love me some Star Wars and Harry Potter so who am I to judge. I hate LOTR and Star Trek if that gives me any points.

#13 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Monarch- the Red Wedding is in Storm of the Swords and is likely the season finale of this season. I'm guessing the other wedding in SOS will be next season's finale.

I don't recall the blue lipped wizard girl making an appearance in the books but it was definitely cool.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#14 User is offline   engma 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Martin better get on his writing stick because the show is traveling through the material faster than is being written. There was talk of catching up mostly to where martin is at (currently five out of a reportedly seven books) and then heading to the big screen to give martin more time to write the material. In an interview, he said he has mapped it all out and perhaps given general guidelines to the HBO producers. It'll be interesting either way.

Oh yeah, boobs.

#15 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

View Postengma, on 01 April 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

Martin better get on his writing stick because the show is traveling through the material faster than is being written. There was talk of catching up mostly to where martin is at (currently five out of a reportedly seven books) and then heading to the big screen to give martin more time to write the material. In an interview, he said he has mapped it all out and perhaps given general guidelines to the HBO producers. It'll be interesting either way.

Oh yeah, boobs.

I was thinking that they'd either take a break and wait for him, go their own route(not sure if they'd even be allowed to), or just ask him what is going to happen and then put it in the show then he releases the books later.

#16 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 01 April 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

I was thinking that they'd either take a break and wait for him, go their own route(not sure if they'd even be allowed to), or just ask him what is going to happen and then put it in the show then he releases the books later.

At the rate he writes, they'd be waiting til the 2020's. I know Martin has told the executive producers the way the series is headed, but my concern and what I think will actually end up happening is that the series will go one way and Martin will write the books in another. That or he'll die before they're finished being written. He is a pretty obese old man after all.

#17 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

There is no way in hell he gets anywhere near the final book before the series catches up. After reading the last book in which it seemed like not much advanced there's no way this is one book away from being done and at the rate he's going we're looking at about 2018 for the next book and 2026 for the one that may be the end.

On the plus side, he'll probably beat the Pirates to a winning season.
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#18 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Yeah LHB, the fuck are my recaps!?!?!

#19 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 02 April 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

That or he'll die before they're finished being written. He is a pretty obese old man after all.

Brandon Sanderson is looking for work again.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#20 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostLonghornBuc, on 09 April 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Theon Greyjoy

Theon is being tortured - he knows not where nor by whom. He is asked why he took Winterfell. After a few false starts, he confesses that he took it to take revenge on the Starks. After the torture, a guy sweeping up gives him hope, saying that he was sent by Theon's sister Yara to help him.

In the show (not the books, I don't want any spoilers) do WE know who has Theon and why he's being tortured? Last I can recall he was giving his speech to rally his men to defend Winterfell to the their deaths, and his Lieutenant hit knocked him out. Are we being kept in the dark as much as Theon is about how he got where he is?

Robb's Army

From Winterfell, there is news from the Bastard of Bolton (Roose's son) that Theon and his men massacred everyone at Winterfell and then left. Robb postulates that Theon is holding Bran and Rickon hostage, and will make a ransom demand. He might think otherwise if he knew what Theon was up to.

Similar question. Again, in the show to this point only, do we know for sure that Theon and his men massacred everyone at Winterfell, or is this just the only information we have on who did this?
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic