• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steeler's Offseason Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1241 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

I don't even know what really led to this random outburst on Zimm's part. It's strange. I'm also not really interested in getting into a Le'veon Bell throwdown now, as I'm sure there will be many of them this year. All I was trying to say is:

1. I think it's foolish for Bell to have not taken that contract offer, given the short lifespan of NFL running backs.

2. For the time that he did play in the AFCC, I thought the Patriots created an original gameplan against Bell that other teams will probably attempt to emulate, in hopes of reducing his effectiveness.

That is all.

#1242 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

Winterset Resurrection, on 18 July 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

I don't even know what really led to this random outburst on Zimm's part. It's strange. I'm also not really interested in getting into a Le'veon Bell throwdown now, as I'm sure there will be many of them this year. All I was trying to say is:

1. I think it's foolish for Bell to have not taken that contract offer, given the short lifespan of NFL running backs.

2. For the time that he did play in the AFCC, I thought the Patriots created an original gameplan against Bell that other teams will probably attempt to emulate, in hopes of reducing his effectiveness.

That is all.

Right. And all they need to do is also recreate their #2 rushing defense in order to execute it.

Simple.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#1243 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

The Ravens are the team that stands up with the OL and waits for Bell to commit.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#1244 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

I thought Bell was already hurt going into the AFC Championship?
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#1245 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Pantsless Jose Lind, on 18 July 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

I thought Bell was already hurt going into the AFC Championship?

He was, but we don't want facts to get in the way here
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#1246 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

Steelers should build the number two defense against the pass and hurt Tom Brady. Or just hurt Tom Brady.

#1247 User is offline   Grey 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

View Postsilverspring, on 18 July 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

Steelers should build the number two defense against the pass and hurt Tom Brady. Or just hurt Tom Brady.

If you believe Gisele, Tom had a concussion last year and kept it secret. Frankly, no matter how much organic shit and raw foods he eats, his age dictates that he is one injury from retirement. Watching him play now, he basically aborts the play if anyone pressures him, very similar to Peyton and how he was in the pocket. Bubby fucking Brister could have sat back there and picked apart that abortion that Butler and Tomlin ran out there in the championship game. They had 3 wide open receivers on nearly every passing play.
Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street

#1248 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 18 July 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

He did get injured early, but when he did play, the Patriots tried something no other team had, and it worked.

Instead of trying to penetrate the backfield, they intentionally just stood the Steelers' linemen up, and waited for Bell to make his delay cut which was so lethal on other teams.

When you have a D-line making no effort to penetrate and all the linebackers standing behind the play keying on the running back, you're pretty much asking to get raped to death by toss plays and the passing game. Last year the Steelers had Antonio Brown and shit else to catch the ball, so just double-cover Brown and no one else in the passing game matters. This year, Bryant is back, Coates is healthy, and JuJu is supposedly awesome. So even if Bell is incapable of adjusting to a Patriots-style strategy (and I'd say that one quarter of play is not enough time to make a determination on that one way or the other), giving Roethlisberger all day and a bunch of space to throw is probably not going to work very well.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#1249 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 18 July 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

And part of the reason he wasn't in more prior to being injured is that he was completely ineffective.

Bell only needs to look across town to Gregory Polanco turning down a $75mm contract extension from the Pirates, and how well that's worked out for him.

Polanco turned down a deal worth $25 mil guaranteed and signed one worth $32 mil guaranteed. What lesson should Bell learn?

Bell will get more money next year. Everyone knows this.

#1250 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 18 July 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Okay Zimm, and how effective was Bell those few times he was given the ball?

You praised Deangelo Williams for what he did in the same game. Williams carried 14 times for 34 yards. That is worse than Bell's 6 for 20.

#1251 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 18 July 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Really? Huh. My bad.

Welp, whichever team was calling it talked about it at length. And there were a number of posters here during that game thread pretty pissed at Bell. They thought he was soff, and didn't play well even for the portion that he was in the game.

Is there a different broadcast than the one on CBS? Maybe you were listening to the radio? Phil Simms has praised Bell to the point that he thinks he is a transformational running back that could change the entire league. He may have said the Patriots were doing a good job, but there is no chance he was critical of Bell.

The Patriots gameplan was not original at all. Other top run defense have been able to stop him to a similar level. 3.3 ypc is not good, but hardly shutting him down.

I would call this a hot take, but it is more like a fake take.

Share this topic:

• 63 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic