• You cannot reply to this topic

Steeler's Offseason Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1001 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

jcharding, on 21 May 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Think of it this way, is the team's third ILB - in a league where probably two-third's of the time teams will be playing with a maximum of one ILB because they are in a nickle or dime - more important than a long snapper?

We are so mentally wedded to the idea of the base 3-4 defense that we just aren't seeing reality - which is that the primary purpose of the third ILB (2nd?) is to play special teams and maybe serve as an intermittent replacement due to injury. Are not most special teamers even more fungible than long snappers? Aren't these the guys that last roughly 1.5 seasons?

And given the increasingly dwindling role of ILBs in the NFL? Aren't they becoming the defensive version of a fullback? How often do teams draft fullbacks anymore? Much less their third fullback?

If you're cool relying on Shazier to stay healthy more power to you and Williams is an unknown how he'll perform over a full season. Let's not forget that Shazier was most effective when Timmons was performing well last year.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#1002 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

I recall one poster on here calling Jesse James a "poor TE". That poster is gone now, along with his minions. I think Jesse is a good TE. No, he is not great, but a guy who is hurt 90 percent of the time, ain't great either. It's not a weakness as it stands right now.

We need a better defense, particularly pass defense, particularly against great pocket passers like Brady.
Insult a Joebot, today. It's for the good of society.

#1003 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Vegetable, on 21 May 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

How often do they run two receiver sets? Don't see them using a fullback with Leveon very often - maybe short yardage or goal line. With only one RB and one TE, they're using three receivers. If AB is double teamed, Martavis is taking at least one other DB with him on a deep route, Eli Rogers is drawing some attention, LeVeon is maybe running a route out of the backfield; they shouldn't have to rely on Jesse James to stretch the field. Heath Miller caught a lot of balls but I don't think he "stretched the field".

Heath was able to block well. Also Heath was to catch the ball farther than 10 yards away from the line with the exception of his final year. James has averaged 8.4 yards per catch and the knock on him is he struggles with blocking.

Also you're assuming Bryant can stay on the field.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#1004 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

"James is decent enough but he leaves a bit to be desired because of his inability to stretch the field which is needed in two receiver sets"

Im only saying you don't need a TE to stretch the field in two wide receiver sets because teams rarely use two wide receiver sets anymore. And if they do, theres either a FB or a second TE in the game and the intent is to run the ball. It's not about Bryant. If he's not able to stay on the field, they're not going to play with only ten guys.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#1005 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

jestor92, on 21 May 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

If you're cool relying on Shazier to stay healthy more power to you and Williams is an unknown how he'll perform over a full season. Let's not forget that Shazier was most effective when Timmons was performing well last year.

I'm saying based on modern NFL trends the nose tackle and second ILB have limited utility. I therefore don't care very much about backups to limited utility positions.

Yes Shazier's health concerns me, but not enough to care about backup ILBs
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#1006 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

View PostGrey, on 21 May 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

I recall one poster on here calling Jesse James a "poor TE". That poster is gone now, along with his minions. I think Jesse is a good TE. No, he is not great, but a guy who is hurt 90 percent of the time, ain't great either. It's not a weakness as it stands right now.

We need a better defense, particularly pass defense, particularly against great pocket passers like Brady.

I don't disagree, so nice post.

But I also don't think the Browns trade up to 1.29 if they didn't think we were taking Njoku. My *guess* is that Watt was Plan B.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#1007 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

I'm tired of this discussion. Whether the Steelers just drafted the best long-snapper in the league or they kept Warren as the worst long-snapper in the league, it wouldn't effect their playoff chances one bit. Using that draft pick to get a competent TE on the roster instead may have had a real effect on the team's playoff fortunes.

#1008 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 21 May 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

I'm tired of this discussion. Whether the Steelers just drafted the best long-snapper in the league or they kept Warren as the worst long-snapper in the league, it wouldn't effect their playoff chances one bit. Using that draft pick to get a competent TE on the roster instead may have had a real effect on the team's playoff fortunes.

That's an interesting twist. Jermaine, were there some TEs on the board in the 6th round that you think would've been potential starters for the Steelers this year?
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#1009 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 21 May 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

So are you're saying that any tight end that was available to be drafted in the sixth round would have been a guaranteed upgrade over Jesse James? Or that missing placekicks cannot affect the outcome of games?
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#1010 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

The Jesse James hate on this board is bizarre. He's a good solid NFL tight end who is an asset. No he is not an all pro, but he's a good, solid player. The other guy had two plates in his ankles and about 22 concussions and had no business even playing the sport. The Steelers did the best they could under that situation after that horrifyingly bad signing. James was one of the few players out there making plays against the Patriots last year, and I didn't see him joking on the sidelines in the second half either.
Insult a Joebot, today. It's for the good of society.

#1011 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostGrey, on 21 May 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

The Jesse James hate on this board is bizarre. He's a good solid NFL tight end who is an asset. No he is not an all pro, but he's a good, solid player. The other guy had two plates in his ankles and about 22 concussions and had no business even playing the sport. The Steelers did the best they could under that situation after that horrifyingly bad signing. James was one of the few players out there making plays against the Patriots last year, and I didn't see him joking on the sidelines in the second half either.

+1

I like Jesse James a lot.

My critique of the Steelers is far less with James, and more with the fact that they didn't secure a TE in a round where there were 3 pretty legit ones, and then cut Green within weeks of the draft being over.

I like the TJ Watt pick, but still pretty wild to me they never addressed the TE position.

Share this topic:

• 51 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic