• You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates Season Thread Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 03 June 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Diaz should consider himself lucky if he has a career like Chris Stewart. Let's slow our roll a bit here on Diaz.

Shoes

Diaz is probably better defensively than Stewart right now and he's better offensively. With the Pirates though money not talent plays.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#42 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

View Postjestor92, on 03 June 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Diaz is probably better defensively than Stewart right now and he's better offensively. With the Pirates though money not talent plays.

Diaz is a .260-.280 hitter at AAA with little to no power. So was Stewart. Diaz is better defensively now because Stewart is 35. Again, Diaz should consider himself lucky if he ends up with a 10 year career as a backup like Stewart has had.

Shoes

#43 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 03 June 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Diaz is a .260-.280 hitter at AAA with little to no power. So was Stewart. Diaz is better defensively now because Stewart is 35. Again, Diaz should consider himself lucky if he ends up with a 10 year career as a backup like Stewart has had.

Shoes

Cervelli and Stewart are both hurt all the time. And Cervelli is highly overrated. They won't know what they have with Diaz unless and until he gets a shot. Having him split time with Cervelli for the rest of the year isn't going to ruin their playoff chances. And it might help Cervelli stay healthy. Maybe a contender that needs a backup catcher would take Stewart, the remainder of his salary for this year, and his $250k buyout for next season. If not, it's a sunk cost anyway. I sure as hell cant see the Pirate bringing Stewart back next season for $1.5 mil to spend a third of the season on the DL.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#44 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostVegetable, on 03 June 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Cervelli and Stewart are both hurt all the time. And Cervelli is highly overrated. They won't know what they have with Diaz unless and until he gets a shot. Having him split time with Cervelli for the rest of the year isn't going to ruin their playoff chances. And it might help Cervelli stay healthy. Maybe a contender that needs a backup catcher would take Stewart, the remainder of his salary for this year, and his $250k buyout for next season. If not, it's a sunk cost anyway. I sure as hell cant see the Pirate bringing Stewart back next season for $1.5 mil to spend a third of the season on the DL.

Yeah I don't disagree. But he's not a solution as a starter. Not that Cervelli or Stewart is either. If Diaz is obviously your backup catcher you are doing ok at the position. He wouldn't be the obvious backup among these three.

Shoes

#45 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

Jason Grilli gave up four home runs in 2/3 of an inning for Toronto today.

#46 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

6/3 lineup @ Mets

1. Adam Frazier, LF
2. Josh Harrison, 2B
3. Gregory Polanco, RF
4. David Freese, 3B
5. Josh Bell, 1B
6. Andrew McCutchen, CF
7. Jordy Mercer, SS
8. Elias Díaz, C
9. Tyler Glasnow, P

Fuck Mookie Wilson
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”

#47 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 03 June 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

Jason Grilli gave up four home runs in 2/3 of an inning for Toronto today.

Time for him to move on to life's work. Whatever the fuck that is.

#48 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Edison Volquez - no hitter.

Pirates might have won the division in 2015 if Opie had re-signed him.

#49 User is online   Grey 

• Bear Down Arizona
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostVegetable, on 03 June 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

Edison Volquez - no hitter.

Pirates might have won the division in 2015 if Opie had re-signed him.

However, Grilli giving up 4 taters today vindicates him.
Heineken? Fuck that shit...Pabst Blue Ribbon!

#50 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

Has nothing to do with the Pirates but what the hell has gotten into Yonder Alonso? Dude is making an MVP case.

#51 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 03 June 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

Has nothing to do with the Pirates but what the hell has gotten into Yonder Alonso? Dude is making an MVP case.

Pretty obvious he's on the juice, he hasn't done anything close to this good since 2011.

#52 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

The Penguins game distracted me from another horseshit performance by Glasgow last night. He is showing no progress at all.

#53 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

When Taillon comes back, I hope it is Glasnow and not Williams who goes to AAA.

Williams isn't spectacular but he usually keeps them in the game. And if I had to bet on which guy is going to have the better major league career, my money would be on Williams at this point.

#54 User is online   Grey 

• Bear Down Arizona
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

Chad Kuhl: 1-6, 6.02 ERA. Why is he scheduled to start at fucking Camden Yards against the fucking orioles on Wednesday? I say 2 and a third, and 8 runs for Baltimore.
Heineken? Fuck that shit...Pabst Blue Ribbon!

#55 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 04 June 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

When Taillon comes back, I hope it is Glasnow and not Williams who goes to AAA.

Williams isn't spectacular but he usually keeps them in the game. And if I had to bet on which guy is going to have the better major league career, my money would be on Williams at this point.

Not to brag about how much I'm always right, but it looks like I"m right again. Several years ago there were talks about Giancarlo Stanton to the Pirates for Polanco and Glasnow, and I was in favor of it big time. Many here said it would be a mistake, but I guarantee you that the Cutch/Stanton/Marte OF of 2-3 years ago would've single-handedly guided the Bucs to the NLCS.

#56 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

That's interesting. Definitely shows that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

If you can acquire an established MLBer producing at a high level, it's worth more than the uncertainty of multiple prospects that may not.

#57 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 04 June 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

That's interesting. Definitely shows that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

If you can acquire an established MLBer producing at a high level, it's worth more than the uncertainty of multiple prospects that may not.

Which is why the Bucs need to deal Glasnow/Keller/Newman/Hayes/Hearn/Tucker/Craig ASAP for above-average MLB talent right now while they still have Marte & Cole.

#58 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 04 June 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

Which is why the Bucs need to deal Glasnow/Keller/Newman/Hayes/Hearn/Tucker/Craig ASAP for above-average MLB talent right now while they still have Marte & Cole.

They have already entered the fall. Short of Mike Trout being traded here for Gift Ngoepe, nothing will stop the fall. Trading prospects away now is useless - the time for that to be useful has already come and gone.

Edit. I would point out now that the most recent trading savior - Mr. Quintana - sucks right now.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#59 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 04 June 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Not to brag about how much I'm always right, but it looks like I"m right again. Several years ago there were talks about Giancarlo Stanton to the Pirates for Polanco and Glasnow, and I was in favor of it big time. Many here said it would be a mistake, but I guarantee you that the Cutch/Stanton/Marte OF of 2-3 years ago would've single-handedly guided the Bucs to the NLCS.

So was I.

Years of control though.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#60 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 04 June 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

You can drop two of those off the list now. Keller has a bad back and Tucker has a broken right thumb.

Share this topic:

• 64 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic