2017 Movie Thread Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 08 August 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Maybe so. Additionally, they kind of downplayed, to a degree, his first year-plus when he was completely alone on the ship. At that point, already alone, and faced with the very real possibility of spending the rest of his life with not only any human contact, but no contact with anything breathing at all, his options were:

1) Suicide.

2) Stark raving insanity.

3) Wake the girl.

So, while waking the girl was indeed highly questionable morally and ethically, and she was sure to be pissed off about it if she ever found out why he woke her, I really don't see where he had much of a choice. Take option 3 away from the above, and the remaining 2 options aren't at all palatable. So, they kind of up played he whole moral dilemma, and by extension, up-played her pissedoffedness when she found out why she was awake. When almost anyone in his position would have done the same thing.

I didn't hate the movie. But like I said, I thought they could have done so much more with the rich material they had to work with.

Well I don't think those are the only 3 options. Or at least, I don't think its a given that one would go insane living out their life without human contact.* And I strongly disagree that almost anyone would do the same thing. There is no way I would ever do that. I think it is the worst of the three options. I'd also never choose suicide but I would definitely do it if it was a forced choice between that and waking her up.

I will admit that would consider waking someone up but the choice would be guided by benefit to others, not by who I thought was cute. I'd try to search available material to determine who (outside of the unreachable crew) would be along the disaster chain of command and/or failing that, someone with medical experience or abilities in hibernation technology.

* I would note that a friend of mine and I had a discussion where we would both volunteer for a Mars mission even if it were to be a one way trip, and even if it could be years of isolation. And I'm a very social person, I know many individuals that are anti-social and would gladly live out their life with no prospect of future interaction.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#82 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Would I volunteer for a one way trip to Mars, by myself. Sure. But I and probably 99% of humanity would probably fare pretty poorly in that social setting.

http://www.bbc.com/f...ion-warps-minds

I haven't seen Passengers, but from what y'all have described I'm guessing most people, no matter how noble, would wake someone else up.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#83 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

View Postjcharding, on 09 August 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Would I volunteer for a one way trip to Mars, by myself. Sure. But I and probably 99% of humanity would probably fare pretty poorly in that social setting.

http://www.bbc.com/f...ion-warps-minds

I haven't seen Passengers, but from what y'all have described I'm guessing most people, no matter how noble, would wake someone else up.

True for extreme isolation, but the catch here is that there is isolation in the sense of no social interaction with another human, it isn't exactly an impoverished environment. Besides being in a seemingly unlimited activity ship, there is interaction available with both a ships functional AI as well as a "bartender" AI with a limited degree of social ability. IS that enough? Perhaps not, but it is considerably more than the extreme situations that lead to human mental degradation.

It's funny, for a fairly bland movie I find the topic fascinating and doubly so for what I think is an obvious misstep at the end that somehow takes a dark tragic story and makes it a love story.

#84 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 09 August 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Well I don't think those are the only 3 options. Or at least, I don't think its a given that one would go insane living out their life without human contact.* And I strongly disagree that almost anyone would do the same thing. There is no way I would ever do that. I think it is the worst of the three options. I'd also never choose suicide but I would definitely do it if it was a forced choice between that and waking her up.

I will admit that would consider waking someone up but the choice would be guided by benefit to others, not by who I thought was cute. I'd try to search available material to determine who (outside of the unreachable crew) would be along the disaster chain of command and/or failing that, someone with medical experience or abilities in hibernation technology.

* I would note that a friend of mine and I had a discussion where we would both volunteer for a Mars mission even if it were to be a one way trip, and even if it could be years of isolation. And I'm a very social person, I know many individuals that are anti-social and would gladly live out their life with no prospect of future interaction.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I would have tried to find someone I thought could help the situation to wake up. I wouldn't have chosen based on cuteness, or sexual attraction. My way would have made a shitty movie, though.

But I would have woken someone up I thought could help. And I wouldn't have waited a year plus. I'd have done it as soon as I had figured out how.

In your Mars scenario, the decision to go would be easier, since you'd still have the capability of video contact with other people. Where you're sharing the scientific data you're finding in real-time (minus the 10-15 minutes it takes for signals to reach the Earth from Mars) and receiving news from Earth, including how your family and friends are doing.

Yeah, you'd be alone, but you'd know that what you're doing was going to help mankind, and advance the possibility that the next people to follow in your footsteps will be making the return trip back to Earth. And you'd know that because you know your information is reaching it's destination back home. That knowledge would make the sacrifice worthwhile.

In the interstellar scenario in the movie, Chris Pratt's character didn't have even that knowledge He had no contact with anyone in any form. He was faced with the very real possibility of a completely wasted life. You downplay the insanity aspect of that. But take another look at the movie Cast Away. With no human contact at all, Tom Hanks' character is forced to invent something to share his feelings with out of a volleyball. And grows so attached to "Wilson" that he mourns for it, when it's lost at sea. Yeah, it's only a movie, but I submit it's a fairly realistic look at what happens to a mind when it's completely severed from any human interaction.

So, faced with Chris Pratt's situation, I wouldn't have hesitated to wake someone up. Maybe that's the difference between you and I. But I think I'm far from alone.

#85 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

so in my search for other perspectives on this Passengers thing I came across a website called OverthinkingIt.com. So far it's pretty cool (and the have a long write up of Passengers that almost entirely echos my thoughts on the movie). Here is one cool thing on the site:

#86 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

Just watched Bad Santa 2. It wasn't terrible had some funny parts, but no where near as good as the original.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#87 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:28 AM

That was quite a direction change from where this thread was headed. Like a Clayton Kershaw change up.

#88 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

Like you guys wouldn't be crossing your fingers hoping your pod would malfunction so you could wake up Jennifer Lawrence on a 90 year voyage. Pfft.

#89 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 25 May 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

I watched Logan last night with zero expectations considering how awful I found Wolverine Origins and The Wolverine (which I couldn't even finish) to be. I also haven't really liked an X Men movie since First Class. I really like McAvoy and Fassbender as Xavier and Magneto but I've been very annoyed by the over-emphasis of Mystique and the character's elevation to a major role all due to Jennifer Lawrence's becoming A-list.

Anyway, Logan is at least a toss up with X2 as the best movie in the X-Men universe. Highly recommended.

Logan was without a doubt the best X-men movie and could've been the best superhero movie were it not for the forgettable villains. Jackman was freaking awesome in this and it was a perfect end to his character.

Also watched Kong: Skull Island last night, it wasn't bad. The rather impressive cast was wasted in their roles (other than John C. Reilly), but it was enjoyable.

#90 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Because of an earlier schedule this week I caught two movies on tv. One was really old (Midnight Cowboy) and the other was last year (Hacksaw Ridge).

Maybe surprisingly, I never saw Midnight Cowboy. The first thing is that it has surprisingly aged well. The only thing that seemed a bit dated was the long non-dialogue acid-trippy flashback sequences. I find it hard to believe that anyone today might be as naive as Joe Buck was but I can imagine it from back then. It's also hard to imagine it getting a X-rating today. Anyway, a really good movie. Glad I finally caught it.

Hacksaw Ridge was pretty good too. Maybe a little over the top violent (thought that doesn't bother me). I get that it was supposed to represent how graphic the war was but it was a bit too much in the sense it started to be a Rambo-like staged violence which I assume was the exact opposite of what was intended. Still a nice sad and touching feel good story. Of the 2017 Oscar movies I saw, it was definitely better than Arrival but not as good as Hidden Figures.

#91 User is offline   thedefdog99 

• Indianapolis Indian

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Why would you watch a X-rated movie on TV?

I imagine it was edited.

#92 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

View Postthedefdog99, on 17 August 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Why would you watch a X-rated movie on TV?

I imagine it was edited.

It was on one of the movie channels (Starz maybe?). I don't think it was edited. I think it was X-rated because of the gay content (it was 1969) rather than anything graphic but I could be wrong. Maybe it was edited.

#93 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 17 August 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Because of an earlier schedule this week I caught two movies on tv. One was really old (Midnight Cowboy) and the other was last year (Hacksaw Ridge).

Maybe surprisingly, I never saw Midnight Cowboy. The first thing is that it has surprisingly aged well. The only thing that seemed a bit dated was the long non-dialogue acid-trippy flashback sequences. I find it hard to believe that anyone today might be as naive as Joe Buck was but I can imagine it from back then. It's also hard to imagine it getting a X-rating today. Anyway, a really good movie. Glad I finally caught it.

Hacksaw Ridge was pretty good too. Maybe a little over the top violent (thought that doesn't bother me). I get that it was supposed to represent how graphic the war was but it was a bit too much in the sense it started to be a Rambo-like staged violence which I assume was the exact opposite of what was intended. Still a nice sad and touching feel good story. Of the 2017 Oscar movies I saw, it was definitely better than Arrival but not as good as Hidden Figures.

I have never seen Midnight Cowboy.

I loved Hacksaw Ridge. This isn't a shot at you but I wish military movies were bloodier. There is still too much romanticizing of it. The violence was a necessary part of that story (not Rambo however). It's the juxtaposition of his beliefs and non-violence to the extreme violence of war that makes his story even more compelling.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#94 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

Continuing my tour of older movies I finally saw Bridge of Spies last night. Very enjoyable. Maybe the Americans made me nostalgic for some Cold War era movies. I kinda would like to see some more movies about that time period (the building of the wall) in East Germany.

So going back to the 2016 Oscar movies:

Really I liked all three of these so this is my guess at how much I liked them:
1) The Martian
2) Bridge of Spies
3) The Big Short

<big drop>
4) The Revenant

didn't see (yet?):
Brooklyn
Room
Spotlight (really want to see but it hasn't shown up on my tivo yet)

wish I could burn the memory of it out of my mind:
Mad Max: Fury Road

#95 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

I went to see The Hitmans Bodyguard this weekend wasn't great but not terrible either. Story was weak but Reynolds and Jackson seemed to have good chemistry
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#96 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 August 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Continuing my tour of older movies I finally saw Bridge of Spies last night. Very enjoyable. Maybe the Americans made me nostalgic for some Cold War era movies. I kinda would like to see some more movies about that time period (the building of the wall) in East Germany.

So going back to the 2016 Oscar movies:

Really I liked all three of these so this is my guess at how much I liked them:
1) The Martian
2) Bridge of Spies
3) The Big Short

<big drop>
4) The Revenant

didn't see (yet?):
Brooklyn
Room
Spotlight (really want to see but it hasn't shown up on my tivo yet)

wish I could burn the memory of it out of my mind:
Mad Max: Fury Road

I would the ones you mention thusly:
1. Spotlight - it was riveting. I thought everyone was fantastic. It certainly breeds a lot anger for the Church.
2. The Big Short was just an outstanding movie. Here's the cliche comment. The book is better because there is a good deal more detail and story. Still, the movie was excellent.
3. Bridge of Spies - I love spy movies and this one didn't disappoint. Since the wall came down, people have forgotten what is was like when we weren't embracing Russia/USSR
4. The Martian was good but not great. It was entertaining.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#97 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Of that list I've still only seen Fury Road, The martian and The Revenant. I own all three. The Revenant was then and remains now a distant third. I enjoyed seeing it. It was good. But it still lags behind the other two. I can watch either Fury Road or The Martian at any point, and any time I run into them accidentally I'll watch. They are two of my favorite movies from recent years. Of the two I'd probably put The Martian slightly ahead, but I'm a geek so that's not surprising.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#98 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 21 August 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

I would the ones you mention thusly:
1. Spotlight - it was riveting. I thought everyone was fantastic. It certainly breeds a lot anger for the Church.
2. The Big Short was just an outstanding movie. Here's the cliche comment. The book is better because there is a good deal more detail and story. Still, the movie was excellent.
3. Bridge of Spies - I love spy movies and this one didn't disappoint. Since the wall came down, people have forgotten what is was like when we weren't embracing Russia/USSR
4. The Martian was good but not great. It was entertaining.

I was surprised the Big Short was that good of a movie. I thought the book was good (I liked most of Lewis' books) but didn't think it would translate.

I think the most surprising thing for me from Bridge of Spies is that there must have been some tension with East Germany wanting to be an entity outside of the USSR. Really want to check out a movie or some historical perspective book.

(and not surprisingly, even though I loved the Martian, there too the book was better)

#99 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 August 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

I was surprised the Big Short was that good of a movie. I thought the book was good (I liked most of Lewis' books) but didn't think it would translate.

I think the most surprising thing for me from Bridge of Spies is that there must have been some tension with East Germany wanting to be an entity outside of the USSR. Really want to check out a movie or some historical perspective book.

(and not surprisingly, even though I loved the Martian, there too the book was better)

The one that I didn't think would translate was Moneyball.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#100 User is offline   thedefdog99 

• Indianapolis Indian

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

logan lucky wasnt too bad.

they need to make more light hearted ensemble movies like the old days...

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic