• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2017 Movie Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

I watched Logan last night with zero expectations considering how awful I found Wolverine Origins and The Wolverine (which I couldn't even finish) to be. I also haven't really liked an X Men movie since First Class. I really like McAvoy and Fassbender as Xavier and Magneto but I've been very annoyed by the over-emphasis of Mystique and the character's elevation to a major role all due to Jennifer Lawrence's becoming A-list.

Anyway, Logan is at least a toss up with X2 as the best movie in the X-Men universe. Highly recommended.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#2 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 25 May 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

I watched Logan last night with zero expectations considering how awful I found Wolverine Origins and The Wolverine (which I couldn't even finish) to be. I also haven't really liked an X Men movie since First Class. I really like McAvoy and Fassbender as Xavier and Magneto but I've been very annoyed by the over-emphasis of Mystique and the character's elevation to a major role all due to Jennifer Lawrence's becoming A-list.

Anyway, Logan is at least a toss up with X2 as the best movie in the X-Men universe. Highly recommended.

I'll probably wait until I see it on one of the movie channels. I'll admit, I'm not enthusiastic after the bastardization that was the Xmen Apocalypse movie (I commented on it in the 2016 movies thread, including the alteration of the Mystique character).
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#3 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Alien Covenant was a mess. I'm not sure if there was a disagreement between Scott wanting to continue with a more Prometheus oriented storyline and the studio insisting on Alien but that's what it seemed like.

Any loose ends with Prometheus were tied up quickly and uneventfully, which was disappointing. I've made my love for Prometheus pretty well known here. The Xenomorph was on screen for about 10 minutes and came across as more of a pest than an actual threat. The very few interesting things to come out of this film are very clearly being saved for a sequel. It's also very clear that due to Fassbender being the best part of Prometheus in his supporting role, someone felt thusly for this one that they should ram Fassbender up the audience's ass for 85% of the film.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#4 User is offline   Sloshy 

• Steve Pearce

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Also enjoyed Logan more than I thought I would, though I didn't much like the treatment of Patrick Stewart's Professor X.

Just watched the Magnificent Seven and it wasn't bad, especially for .99 on Prime.

#5 User is offline   Grbac18 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 28 May 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

Alien Covenant was a mess. I'm not sure if there was a disagreement between Scott wanting to continue with a more Prometheus oriented storyline and the studio insisting on Alien but that's what it seemed like.

Any loose ends with Prometheus were tied up quickly and uneventfully, which was disappointing. I've made my love for Prometheus pretty well known here. The Xenomorph was on screen for about 10 minutes and came across as more of a pest than an actual threat. The very few interesting things to come out of this film are very clearly being saved for a sequel. It's also very clear that due to Fassbender being the best part of Prometheus in his supporting role, someone felt thusly for this one that they should ram Fassbender up the audience's ass for 85% of the film.

Agreed. Very disappointing film.

I'm also extremely annoyed with what has now become the origin story for the Xenomorphs.

Sure, the biological DNA restructuring was created by the Engineers but what they are suggesting as the origin of the biggest, baddest death machine the universe has ever known is trite. Part of the enjoyment of the film series is wondering where the hell the Xenomorphs came from and were they anything more than a vicious animal. Did they have a purpose other than to eat, sleep and reproduce? What they are suggesting is, for me, a huge letdown. It's Hollywood formulaic.

#6 User is offline   thedefdog99 

• Indianapolis Indian

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Alien Covenant could of been so good...

but instead we get 100's of cgi monsters, and a crummy "twist" that ruins the whole dang franchise.

I'm terrified at what "twist" Ridley Scott will inject into the Blade Runner remake.

#7 User is offline   crosscuttersno1 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

View Postthedefdog99, on 01 June 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Alien Covenant could of been so good...

but instead we get 100's of cgi monsters, and a crummy "twist" that ruins the whole dang franchise.

I'm terrified at what "twist" Ridley Scott will inject into the Blade Runner remake.

Ok. Who is this?
Failure is the key to success.

#8 User is offline   thedefdog99 

• Indianapolis Indian

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:45 PM

And since I've been away for a while...

Song to Song - holy christ was this star studded movie a big piece of shit. The cinematography was flat out amazing. Every frame of every second was a visual master piece. But with no story, all of the beautiful actors and actresses and sets did nothing. They must of spent millions on the sets and exotic locations. For nothing. I've heard Knight of Cups is worse. I'm tempted to see it.

Your Name - Japan's big Anime movie makes it to America. Wow. It was pretty excellent. Started slow, but then the "twist" happens and it gets really good really fast.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 - awesome! Dave Bautista had the funniest lines in this sequel. Solid.

#9 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

View Postthedefdog99, on 01 June 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

And since I've been away for a while...

Song to Song - holy christ was this star studded movie a big piece of shit. The cinematography was flat out amazing. Every frame of every second was a visual master piece. But with no story, all of the beautiful actors and actresses and sets did nothing. They must of spent millions on the sets and exotic locations. For nothing. I've heard Knight of Cups is worse. I'm tempted to see it.

Your Name - Japan's big Anime movie makes it to America. Wow. It was pretty excellent. Started slow, but then the "twist" happens and it gets really good really fast.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 - awesome! Dave Bautista had the funniest lines in this sequel. Solid.

Agree on Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#10 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Blade Runner remake? Oh sweet baby jesus please no.

Shoes

#11 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 02 June 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Shoes

This reminds me. I have to say I have mixed feelings about the Ghost in the Shell movie tanking. Now granted I didn't go see it. I loved the original anime movie so why bother? That being said, I think that it puts a bad mark on similar films or even retroactively on that anime scifi-AI genre. But hey, maybe with Westworld (which I'm also not watching) doing so well I don't have to worry.

I also just want to go see it just cause the backlash of the Scarlett Johnason casting. While I think she's a horrible actress, that's not why there is backlash. It is because she is playing an asian character and people think that is bad casting. Really? So what.

#12 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 02 June 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Shoes

shit, double reply to a single post....

On Blade Runner, I worry about what they are going to do to the film. It shouldn't be a line for line remake, because why bother. But I think even worse would be a true to the story remake. Philip K. Dick had great ideas (hence many films) but was a horrible writer. The book was good but not without it's flaws. It had that whole horrible storyline of the Mercerist religion and the mood organ. ugh. And the problem with a mentally unstable person writing is that he sometimes (usually) loses coherence by the end. Most PKD books you can quit about 3/4ths of the way through and be all the better for it.

so yeah, definitely could do without it.

#13 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Daniel Day Lewis retires from acting
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#14 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

View Postjcharding, on 20 June 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

please tell me he isn't going into politics.

#15 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

View Postjcharding, on 20 June 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

1) what does it mean to retire from acting? (rhetorical, I don't really care)
2) Has he been in anything since Lincoln? Wasn't that like 5 years ago? Perhaps he is already retired?

I don't know why I even put the question marks. I don't care about any of this.

#16 User is offline   thedefdog99 

• Indianapolis Indian

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

After Phillip Seymour Hoffman "retired", the Indie movie scene took a huge dump.

So now without DDL, it's going to drop another notch.

Movies are sucking MORERER and MORERER.

#17 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 June 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

1) what does it mean to retire from acting? (rhetorical, I don't really care)
2) Has he been in anything since Lincoln? Wasn't that like 5 years ago? Perhaps he is already retired?

I don't know why I even put the question marks. I don't care about any of this.

Yes, Lincoln was his last film - 5 years ago. For him though breaks like that are normal. He is very picky, and devotes a lot of himself to his parts.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#18 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

View Postjcharding, on 21 June 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Yes, Lincoln was his last film - 5 years ago. For him though breaks like that are normal. He is very picky, and devotes a lot of himself to his parts.

I liked the theory that he is doing research for an upcoming role as a retired actor.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#19 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Day Lewis is currently working on a film called Phantom Thread, due out on Christmas Day.

#20 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 21 June 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

Day Lewis is currently working on a film called Phantom Thread, due out on Christmas Day.

Yes, he said it was his last film. Unless there are scenes that need to be done over I thought what I read said his role was done.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic