• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

College Basketball Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Pitt is losing to Louisville 51-18 at half time. So if you're down on Stallings (as I am as well) this isn't going to help. What a disaster.

#42 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

View PostCobra, on 24 January 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Pitt is losing to Louisville 51-18 at half time. So if you're down on Stallings (as I am as well) this isn't going to help. What a disaster.

The move to the ACC has been so good.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#43 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

I have no problem with the move to the ACC. Pitt should be able to compete, even in basketball. But the recent recruiting has been dismal, Once Steve Adams went one and done it's been pathetic.

#44 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Who would have thought a mediocre SEC coach would be a terrible hire.

#45 User is offline   aso513 

• Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

That Pitt score is wrong, right?

#46 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

This isn't mine, but...

Pitt is killing Duquesne's RPI.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#47 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

saw it on ESPN, that was Pitt's worst loss in 111 years

#48 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

View PostDale Berra, on 24 January 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

This isn't mine, but...

Pitt is killing Duquesne's RPI.

I loled.

And cobra's right, it wasn't the move to the ACC, but I think gb21 would rather have a Trump presidency than Pitt in the ACC.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#49 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hey. Maybe Stallings can suck so bad that he doesn't get a second season.

What a clusterfuck. And really Artis and Young are decent players. As much as people complained about Dixon, this year is putting Pitt basketball back. Not even the die hards care. This is the kind of shit that can kill a program. I saw it at UMass when i was there. This is eerily similar.

#50 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

Hey guys, look on the bright side. Sure, Pitt had to pay millions of dollars just to buy out Stallings's contract, but at least they don't have to pay their players to stick around as this nightmare unfolds.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#51 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:55 AM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 25 January 2017 - 01:11 AM, said:

Hey guys, look on the bright side. Sure, Pitt had to pay millions of dollars just to buy out Stallings's contract, but at least they don't have to pay their players to stick around as this nightmare unfolds.

Oregon State will probably be looking for a basketball coach in a year or two, since they are 4-16 this season. Maybe Barnes will hire Stallings away from Pitt?

#52 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

I meant Dixon's contract, actually. Kind of fucked up my own joke there. Though I assume that they will also have to buy out Stallings's contract sometime in the next six fucking years. God dammit Scott Barnes.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#53 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 24 January 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

I loled.

And cobra's right, it wasn't the move to the ACC, but I think gb21 would rather have a Trump presidency than Pitt in the ACC.

That would be accurate. The ACC was supposed to improve Pitt's programs. So far, I've seen little to be excited about Pitt basketball. If the ACC was such a great move, why didn't it help them get a better coach and better players?
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#54 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Not only did WVU beat both the #1 and #2 teams, but they did so by a combined 47 points. I wonder what the record is.

#55 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

DK has an excellent article on Stallings today. It hits many of the issues I mentioned yesterday and goes a step further. The one thing I've been wondering about is this notion that Dixon left the cupboard bare. I've been meaning to go back at track what happened to Dixon's recruits, who left and who is still here. DK makes the point that the players that are still here, the ones that lead the Pitt team to an NCAA birth last year are mostly still here and a year older. And the top three are putting up big numbers. Now DK doesn't actually track Pitt's recruits (and I am still curious which ones left or uncommitted) but he makes the very valid point that Stallings had enough time to get some JC transfers in here and he did not.

Here's an excerpt of the end of his article (I'm not copying the whole thing and I want to recommend subscribing to anyone still holding out. I know there's been a bunch of DK around here but the quality his site is putting out everyday is pretty excellent):

Whatever Pitt’s problems are now, and whatever they might be if this plunge continues, blaming Dixon and the talent at hand is the laziest conceivable analysis, in addition to being demonstrably dead wrong.

Better to ask why Stallings didn’t find some juco point guard after his hiring to maintain some sense of stability. He had time. He found no one.

Better to ask why Stallings had a Vanderbilt team last season that had not one but two players selected in the NBA’s first round, but still somehow was knocked out of the NCAA Tournament in the play-in portion, before Dixon was with this same group of Panthers.

Better to ask why Stallings felt comfortable rolling his players under the bus this weekend, just as he had so many times at Vanderbilt, rather than accepting even a sliver of culpability.

Better to ask why Stallings feels he’d be the first coach in the annals of sports to not be responsible for players choosing to tune him out.

Better to ask why Stallings, when asked after this game if this miserable showing was the players’ response to his criticism, curiously snapped back, “Come on, man. That was an embarrassment. That was an embarrassment for me. That was an embarrassment. That’s a product of my work. It’s an embarrassment to me and it should be embarrassing to them. They’ll tell you the same thing. No, I don’t think that was a response to anything.”

They’ll tell us the same thing?

Better to ask why Stallings found it necessary to hide all his players from the media after this loss, something I can’t recall Dixon ever having done.

And yeah, maybe it’s better to ask why Stallings willfully got himself ejected with 14:27 left in this game, with the Panthers down by 41 points …

… rather than hanging around and sending a message to his players that they couldn’t quit.

Maybe it’s because he beat them to it.

#56 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Pitt had three decommitments, but they all ended up signing with Pitt anyways. Crisshawn Clark messed up his knee, and was a JC point guard.

Seems like DK should know this.

Dixon's recruiting was terrible recently. I agree Stallings was a bad hire, but Dixon's faults contributed to some of these problems.

#57 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

I don't really follow basketball or Pitt but it is hard to believe they wouldn't have been better off keeping Dixon.

#58 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

I know this team isn't great, but there is no excuse for them to be this bad. This almost exact same roster was in the fucking tournament a year ago. The NCAA is going to have to create a new fifth-rate invitational just to get postseason play this season. Kevin Stallings SSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#59 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

They might not win another conference game all year.

With Artis and Young, the cupboard wasn't completely bare for Stallings. I know senior classes sometimes don't respond to a new head coach, but this is embarrassing -- some players seemingly have no personal pride and the coach creates a larger divide every time he opens his mouth. Reporters may like it, but Stallings' "transparency" has backfired in a big way.

#60 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 28 January 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

They might not win another conference game all year.

With Artis and Young, the cupboard wasn't completely bare for Stallings. I know senior classes sometimes don't respond to a new head coach, but this is embarrassing -- some players seemingly have no personal pride and the coach creates a larger divide every time he opens his mouth. Reporters may like it, but Stallings' "transparency" has backfired in a big way.

But it wasn't just Artis and Young. They returned 4 starters.

I'm not sure I hated any coach (in any sport) as much as I hate Stallings right now. I hated the Hayward hire but thankfully that lasted a day.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic