View PostNCBuccofan, on 23 November 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

I like the logo.

I do too.

#43 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:03 PM

The 2015-16 Pittsburgh Penguins came to play tonight. That was a heck of a performance. Dominant win.

#44 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

I think it also needs to be said.

Murray >>> Fleury

It is true.

#45 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:06 AM

DJF, how do you see this Murray/Fleury dynamic playing out? I felt for sure once Murray won the Cup for them, Fleury would be a salary cap relief trade soonafter. But at the start of the offseason, it seemed like any and every team with a goalie need traded to fill it quickly, so the Pens were left with a $5MM backup goalie.

Fleury's presence was helpful for the first few weeks with Murray out, but now that Murray is back and playing well, I worry that the organization's strident loyalty to Fleury is going to result in some quasi "co-goalie" system that ends up hurting Murray and the Penguins. I'm also slightly worried that they expose Murray- not Fleury- to the damn Las Vegas expansion draft.

Marc-Andre Fleury has been a big part of Penguins' history, and is a huge reason why they won the Cup against Detroit. But he also has a lot of short-comings, and a recent history of very erratic postseason performances. In professional sports, if you have a much younger, cheaper player that can do the job as good or better than a veteran, you part ways with the veteran. I'm just worried the Penguins won't.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#46 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

Since Fleury has a limited no-trade clause they would have to protect him in the expansion draft, unless they could convince him to waive his no-trade clause. They would have no other choice in the matter. My guess is it never gets to that point and he gets traded at some point later this season because they know Murray would almost certainly get picked if he were to be exposed.

Trading him over the summer was always going to be an issue because there were only a handful of teams that needed a goalie and there were several other teams also looking to move goalies. I think as you get into the season teams will start to realize they might have a hole at the position and be more willing to do something.

I would not worry too much about their commitment to Murray or his development. Since he returned to the lineup he has started seven out of the 11 games.

#47 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

They can't trade Fleury soon enough. Another weak goal, this one to start a game.

#48 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

And that is 7 out of 12, any more even and they would be even. That is too much Fleury.

#49 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:34 PM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 25 November 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

And that is 7 out of 12, any more even and they would be even. That is too much Fleury.

Back to back games this weekend as part of a three game in four night stretch Fleury was guaranteed to start one. I think it is telling that Murray, and not Fleury, gets the home game against the division opponent.

#50 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 24 November 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Since Fleury has a limited no-trade clause they would have to protect him in the expansion draft, unless they could convince him to waive his no-trade clause. They would have no other choice in the matter. My guess is it never gets to that point and he gets traded at some point later this season because they know Murray would almost certainly get picked if he were to be exposed.

Trading him over the summer was always going to be an issue because there were only a handful of teams that needed a goalie and there were several other teams also looking to move goalies. I think as you get into the season teams will start to realize they might have a hole at the position and be more willing to do something.

I would not worry too much about their commitment to Murray or his development. Since he returned to the lineup he has started seven out of the 11 games.

Who's gonna take that terrible contract? Honestly, that might be the worst contract in all of hockey when you take into account the entire context.

- Fleury's performance has collapsed. It's no longer a question of whether his contract is worth the money--it's obviously not. The relevant question has become whether Fleury is better than the guys in the AHL and on the waiver wire. He's not just hurting the team capwise anymore, he's actively hurting them on the ice.
- Fleury's position means that they can't "hide" him in a fourth-line role. He's going to continue to start and play whole games, hurting the team in 60-minute stretches.
- Fleury's position means that you can't have both him and a legit NHL starter (or even a budget-friendly backup) on your roster come June. A skater with a similar contract doesn't necessarily force you to expose any important players, because there are more spots. Other teams may be in different positions in terms of the number of skaters they really want to protect, making trades easier. Any team that trades for Fleury will be in the exact same position as the Penguins are now: they'll be forced to protect Fleury and expose a more valuable goalie.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#51 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:19 PM

Rob Scuderi got traded.

They will find a taker for Fleury one way or another.

I am not ready to say his play has collapsed. He has been bad lately, but he is coming off of what was probably the two best years of his career. No team is going to react to these past 10 games and conclude he can not play anymore.

#52 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

Just an FYI for those of you that are Steelers season ticket holders, the NHL outdoor game went on sale today.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#53 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

hey another shitty 60 minute effort
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#54 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

They need a trade.

#55 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

Sid is otherworldly right now. Wow.
Utah, get me two.

#56 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

Spread it on boys.
Utah, get me two.

#57 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

This win was their season in a nutshell.

Nothing overly impressive but they still won.

That concerns me. Eventually that comes crashing down. Still think something's missing. I just don't know what that is.

#58 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 01 December 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

That concerns me. Eventually that comes crashing down. Still think something's missing. I just don't know what that is.

I don't know, I think some guys are underperforming in their usual roles. There is still time for that stuff to work itself out.

First thing on the to do list should be stay the fuck out of the box.
Utah, get me two.

#59 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 01 December 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

I think part of it is that they just won the Stanley Cup last year.

As awesome as it is to win a professional championship, it then reveals what is ultimately unsatisfying about sports in general: there's nothing left to do...except try to do it again.

With that being said, I feel like the % of teams that can repeat back-to-back is far higher in the NHL than other sports. It's a long season, and past history has shown that the teams that come out like gangbusters in the fall and early winter rarely seem to make it to the Cup.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#60 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 01 December 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

I think part of it is that they just won the Stanley Cup last year.

As awesome as it is to win a professional championship, it then reveals what is ultimately unsatisfying about sports in general: there's nothing left to do...except try to do it again.

With that being said, I feel like the % of teams that can repeat back-to-back is far higher in the NHL than other sports. It's a long season, and past history has shown that the teams that come out like gangbusters in the fall and early winter rarely seem to make it to the Cup.

Only two teams have repeat in the past 25 years.

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic