• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

College Football 2016 Season Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

Their offense is significantly more interesting than anything from last year.
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#22 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 03 September 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

What else is new?

Not much in the last 20 years.

#23 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 03 September 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

This is amazing.

@reddusfoximus WOW! One of the Freshman Midshipmen in his dress whites was pulled out of the stands & sent to locker room. Replacing QB Tago Smith. #Navy

All Freshman Midshipmen are required to play a sport in some capacity. He's probably on one of their other football teams. (They have a lot of football teams.)
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#24 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:35 PM

What is Auburn doing. This is so stupid. These guys are morons.

#25 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 03 September 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

This Penn State defense is going to get smoked, absolutely smoked by teams that can run. And it's not a good sign when Barkley, given his abilities, can only muster 3.6 yards per carry. McSorley is going to be forced to try to win a lot of games.

Long season in store PSU fans.

They gave up 6 points total. Kent ran a little more than I thought they would, but some hiccups are natural for a new D Line. The secondary played well. We'll see how things develop: You might have a point but it is about the scoreboard, and they put a pick six on the board also.
Ann Arbor is a bitch

#26 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 03 September 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Among the many reasons not to "honor" Paterno is that they need to let the story die. If PSU can put this behind them, then they need to stop bringing up anything or anyone associated with it. Every time they do something like or trying to get the insurance company to pay for it, they just bring the story to the front of the news cycle.

Another thing people very close to this scandal need to do is get a new perspective. Living well outside Happy Valley, I get a good take on how people view Penn State and Penn State football. Generally, the view of the school and football program isn't good. It's about the same as how people outside of Waco view Baylor. By bringing all this shit up, they just reinforce the ideas that people have about Penn State.

There are two groups of fans at PSU: Penn State fans, and Joe Paterno worshippers. The second group is, was, and always will be the problem, the first group is great. People who hate on PSU will always hate on PSU, same as people who hate Notre Dame, or Southern Cal, or Texas, or Ohio State.
Ann Arbor is a bitch

#27 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostGrey, on 04 September 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

There are two groups of fans at PSU: Penn State fans, and Joe Paterno worshippers. The second group is, was, and always will be the problem, the first group is great. People who hate on PSU will always hate on PSU, same as people who hate Notre Dame, or Southern Cal, or Texas, or Ohio State.

Putting Penn State in the same category as those programs is so 1992.

#28 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:07 PM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 04 September 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

Putting Penn State in the same category as those programs is so 1992.

Not sure if he was puting them in the same category but he's right about people who will always hate Penn State. There are two differences now. Before people hated Penn State for their success. They have a different reason now, since Sandusky. Now there are also more people that hate Penn State. The new ones don't hate Penn State for their success.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#29 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 04 September 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Not sure if he was puting them in the same category but he's right about people who will always hate Penn State. There are two differences now. Before people hated Penn State for their success. They have a different reason now, since Sandusky. Now there are also more people that hate Penn State. The new ones don't hate Penn State for their success.

Franklin is pulling in 3 consecutive top 23 recruiting classes, I believe better seasons are ahead, it takes time obviously. People who hate the program now, as you mentioned, are hateful because of the crimes and the perception that was made during the scandal of how poorly it was handled. Regardless, my thoughts are that the national narrative is not going to change. No amount of time is going to change anyone's mind, which is why I have no problem with honoring Paterno this year. It has now nearly been five years, and those who felt how they felt five years ago arent going to "come around" now. The man did a great deal of good for the University and was beloved by many. I'm not a "Joe Bot" or a "Paternophile" as I call them, I put the University over the man. He's been gone now nearly five years, "move on" crowd is what the JoeBots call us, I believe, lmao.
Ann Arbor is a bitch

#30 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

View PostGrey, on 04 September 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Franklin is pulling in 3 consecutive top 23 recruiting classes, I believe better seasons are ahead, it takes time obviously. People who hate the program now, as you mentioned, are hateful because of the crimes and the perception that was made during the scandal of how poorly it was handled. Regardless, my thoughts are that the national narrative is not going to change. No amount of time is going to change anyone's mind, which is why I have no problem with honoring Paterno this year. It has now nearly been five years, and those who felt how they felt five years ago arent going to "come around" now. The man did a great deal of good for the University and was beloved by many. I'm not a "Joe Bot" or a "Paternophile" as I call them, I put the University over the man. He's been gone now nearly five years, "move on" crowd is what the JoeBots call us, I believe, lmao.

The perception probably won't change but keeping the story alive means that the perception never will change. I can tell you as one who lives outside the Happy Valley area, the perception of Penn State is bad, very bad. It's a very deep emotional dislike for a program and an area that people believe have a very misguided sense of what is important and what isn't.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#31 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 04 September 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

The perception probably won't change but keeping the story alive means that the perception never will change. I can tell you as one who lives outside the Happy Valley area, the perception of Penn State is bad, very bad. It's a very deep emotional dislike for a program and an area that people believe have a very misguided sense of what is important and what isn't.

There are new people, I suppose, that dislike the prgram, I'm sure. I just feel like, so much has changed within the program now, nearly every person who was there, is gone. Barber has supplaned Curley, Schultz is gone, Spanier has been replaced twice already. Nearly brand new Board of Trustees save 8 remaining members. Sandy Barbour has done a commendable job in a no-win situation.
Ann Arbor is a bitch

#32 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

View PostGrey, on 04 September 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

There are new people, I suppose, that dislike the prgram, I'm sure. I just feel like, so much has changed within the program now, nearly every person who was there, is gone. Barber has supplaned Curley, Schultz is gone, Spanier has been replaced twice already. Nearly brand new Board of Trustees save 8 remaining members. Sandy Barbour has done a commendable job in a no-win situation.

And all of that might go some way to separate the current university from the past if they weren't going out of their way to tie themselves to Paterno again.

#33 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostGrey, on 04 September 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

Casual fans or even hard core college football fans don't see any of that. They see a university and football program that is still trying to "honor" someone that they believes is utterly lacking of honor. Those fans look at Penn State and see no difference than Baylor. That is how most non-Penn State fans vie Penn State.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#34 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 04 September 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

And all of that might go some way to separate the current university from the past if they weren't going out of their way to tie themselves to Paterno again.

As hard as it might be for casual fans to believe this, having a day of honor for Paterno at Beaver stadium, is not nearly good enough for the fanatical worshippers
of Paterno. They demand more.
Ann Arbor is a bitch

#35 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

This Texas/Notre Dame game is already better than I expected.

#36 User is online   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

College clearly has different helmet rules, because that is a pretty bad head hit.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#37 User is offline   clemente_in_right 

• Silenced Pen
  • PipPip
  • Interests:selling paper

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

View Postjcharding, on 04 September 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

College clearly has different helmet rules, because that is a pretty bad head hit.

Agreed. Not sure how that was not a penalty. Maybe I don't understand the rule.
In any human group, family, tribe, (or baseball team), there are norms - shared expectations of behavior. Any member who deviates from these norms calls into question the basic values of the group. And groups don't like to have their basic values questioned. It makes them nervous. - Jim Bouton in Ball Four Plus Ball Five

What about doctors who make house calls? Repairmen who know how to fix things? And ballplayers who hustle? And boxers who get carried out of the ring, instead of quitting because of stomach cramps? And what about the death penalty for scum who take a human life and snuff it out like it's so much garbage? I've seen the past, gentlemen, and it works. - William Shatner as T.J. Hooker in episode 1.1 'The Protectors'

It seems likely that removing the sense of closure from book writing will, in time, alter writer's attitudes toward their work. The pressure to achieve perfection will diminish, along with the artistic rigor that the pressure imposed. - Nicholas Carr from The Shallows

#38 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

Yes. Fuck Notre Dame.

That Texas freshman qb has a sick deep ball.

#39 User is online   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:48 PM

Eh. Fuck Texas. Hi LHB. UT still sucks.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#40 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:58 PM

Eat a dick Notre Dame
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

Share this topic:

• 69 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic