Pittsburgh Pirates: 2015-16 TV season thread - Pittsburgh Pirates

Jump to content

  • 35 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015-16 TV season thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,508
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:18 AM

Is it time? I think it's time!

I was surprised there were no posts in the TV thread after the premier of the Walking Dead last night but I guess everyone was just waiting for a new thread. And actually this is a little late since some shows are a couple episodes in.

So to get read for the new Walking Dead I got caught up on Fear the Walking Dead (although really it was just coincidence since I no longer have baseball to watch). My first comment on episodes 3 to 5 is that I am definitely rooting for the zombies. I want all those pieces of shit to die, slowly and horribly. The only character I could sort of stand was the ex-wife. The last episode got quite a bit better. At least the El Slvadorian guy is interesting now but really the guy I like is Strand (or Storm or whatever his name is.. you know, the black guy). I hope he gets a big role in the season. Too bad they didn't take the doctor and the tortured solder with them. They were at least as interesting as the other characters.


O.K. on to the Walking Dead.

Really good start. You can see they've upped the budget quite a bit with the scale of Zombie Hoard. I really like the use of B&W. The CGI on the valley was pretty great too. Looks like the early part of the season is going to be high energy action.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#2 User is offline   ecbenito 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:with the outlaws

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

and the best part of last night's episode: NO CARL
0

#3 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,508
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

View Postecbenito, on 12 October 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

and the best part of last night's episode: NO CARL


well if you you didn't catch any of the preview... I've got some bad news.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#4 User is offline   ecbenito 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:with the outlaws

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 12 October 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

well if you you didn't catch any of the preview... I've got some bad news.

oh I did. I figure that they showed what the crew on the road did in this episode and episode 2 will focus on what the people still in Alexandria did. I absolutely fucking hate Carl and hope he gets eaten.
0

#5 Guest_blurjose_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

That first episode of TWD last night was fantastic. A nice blend of action and drama. I like how they keep dealing with the issue of Rick and how much he can hold on to his former self. To me that's the philosophical question that keeps the show vibrant: with survival constantly at the forefront, how does one hold onto one's humanity?

Spoiler

0

#6 Guest_blurjose_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

View Postecbenito, on 12 October 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

oh I did. I figure that they showed what the crew on the road did in this episode and episode 2 will focus on what the people still in Alexandria did. I absolutely fucking hate Carl and hope he gets eaten.

If you've already talked about it I probably missed it but why do you hate Carl so much? While he's nowhere close to be my favorite (Michonne is da bess) he doesn't get under my skin. Now the baby on the other hand--I would toss her into a zombie hoard.
0

#7 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,508
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

View Postblurjose, on 12 October 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

If you've already talked about it I probably missed it but why do you hate Carl so much? While he's nowhere close to be my favorite (Michonne is my fave by far) he doesn't get under my skin. Now the baby on the other hand--I would toss her into a zombie hoard.


I used to hate Carl but lately he hasn't bothered me as much. Maybe it's just a memory of when many of the characters were not very likable.


Hmmm, I'm not sure I dislike any of the current core group. Well the preacher, but he's not really core. I used to like Glen a lot more but I don't really dislike him. I think he is better without Maggie around. I think we might see some of the long time characters dying this season. They have pretty well developed characters so not much new to do there.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#8 User is offline   Penguin 

  • Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17,075
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

With Fear the Walking Dead, I'm 100% in agreement with oblong regarding the lack of remotely interesting characters. And think it ultimately could kill the show. But I also had a few other issues. First and perhaps this isn't anyone's fault and could be corrected, it seemed small budget (at least until the finale). Any outside shot attempting to create a sense of big scale was filmed with tight shots. It appeared cheap and diminished my enjoyment. Secondly, now that the virus is in full outbreak and it's officially a zombie apocalypse, isn't the show just another Walking Dead spinoff with less interesting characters?

The key for me regarding the show will be it's ability to utilize urban settings. That's what will ultimately separate it from the original. But I'm not sure they will and with a bunch of unlikable characters who I'm rooting to turn and eat Carl, not sure how it's going to be good.

Speaking of Carl, I obviously dislike him but admit it mostly stems from the first 2-3 seasons when he was a whiny and annoying 10 year old. Nothing personal, but I didn't want a whiny and annoying 10 year old playing a large role in my end of days television show. I suppose he's become less annoying now that he's 15 (and suspending belief that it's only several months later), but I'm still stuck with my initial impression.

I also echo the sentiment regarding the season premier of The Walking Dead. Great episode done on a grand scale that only enhanced it. I'm interested to see if they kill off any of the core group this season. We really haven't had anyone significant die since Hershel (who wasn't part of the original season)and Andrea. Hopefully the writers aren't committed to keeping Rick, Daryl, Carl, Carol and Glenn alive forever. Part of the fun of the show is thinking anyone could die at any moment.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015
0

#9 User is offline   ecbenito 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:with the outlaws

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostPenguin, on 12 October 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

With Fear the Walking Dead, I'm 100% in agreement with oblong regarding the lack of remotely interesting characters. And think it ultimately could kill the show. But I also had a few other issues. First and perhaps this isn't anyone's fault and could be corrected, it seemed small budget (at least until the finale). Any outside shot attempting to create a sense of big scale was filmed with tight shots. It appeared cheap and diminished my enjoyment. Secondly, now that the virus is in full outbreak and it's officially a zombie apocalypse, isn't the show just another Walking Dead spinoff with less interesting characters?

The key for me regarding the show will be it's ability to utilize urban settings. That's what will ultimately separate it from the original. But I'm not sure they will and with a bunch of unlikable characters who I'm rooting to turn and eat Carl, not sure how it's going to be good.

Speaking of Carl, I obviously dislike him but admit it mostly stems from the first 2-3 seasons when he was a whiny and annoying 10 year old. Nothing personal, but I didn't want a whiny and annoying 10 year old playing a large role in my end of days television show. I suppose he's become less annoying now that he's 15 (and suspending belief that it's only several months later), but I'm still stuck with my initial impression.

I also echo the sentiment regarding the season premier of The Walking Dead. Great episode done on a grand scale that only enhanced it. I'm interested to see if they kill off any of the core group this season. We really haven't had anyone significant die since Hershel (who wasn't part of the original season)and Andrea. Hopefully the writers aren't committed to keeping Rick, Daryl, Carl, Carol and Glenn alive forever. Part of the fun of the show is thinking anyone could die at any moment.

yeah, Fear the Walking Dead had a ton of promise but you're right there's a sense of cheapness which probably stems from them cheaping out and after the pilot filmed everything in Vancouver. That and the characters suck. The older El Salvadorian guy is ok, Strom (i think that was his name) is cool and then the best character on the entire show is the fat kid with the knife. Everybody else needs to be ripped apart immediately.

As for Carl, the character is annoying and the kid playing him is just a shitty actor. He brings nothing to the story.


What's the over under on how long Heath (the new black guy) makes it? T-dog, Bob, Tyreese, Noah, basically any black guy not named Morgan is going to die real quick. I'm almost pissed that I remembered his name because he's probably not going to make it to the January half season.
0

#10 Guest_blurjose_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

View Postecbenito, on 12 October 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

yeah, Fear the Walking Dead had a ton of promise but you're right there's a sense of cheapness which probably stems from them cheaping out and after the pilot filmed everything in Vancouver. That and the characters suck. The older El Salvadorian guy is ok, Strom (i think that was his name) is cool and then the best character on the entire show is the fat kid with the knife. Everybody else needs to be ripped apart immediately.

As for Carl, the character is annoying and the kid playing him is just a shitty actor. He brings nothing to the story.


What's the over under on how long Heath (the new black guy) makes it? T-dog, Bob, Tyreese, Noah, basically any black guy not named Morgan is going to die real quick. I'm almost pissed that I remembered his name because he's probably not going to make it to the January half season.

I think Morgan will get killed off despite being a great character.
0

#11 User is offline   gahran 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,792
  • Joined: 15-December 12

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

TWD - wow. Yeah. Um. Carol's cover is blown.
0

#12 User is offline   ecbenito 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:with the outlaws

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

View Postgahran, on 18 October 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

TWD - wow. Yeah. Um. Carol's cover is blown.

eh, I dunno

Spoiler


I really thought that episode was going to suck. damn did that change quick. Carol FTW
0

#13 User is offline   ECBucs 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,203
  • Joined: 21-November 08

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

without this, there would be no walking dead (which my kid watched and liked for first time tonight):



https://kitleyskrypt...rror-fan-proud/
0

#14 User is offline   gahran 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,792
  • Joined: 15-December 12

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:28 AM

Spoiler

0

#15 User is offline   aso513 

  • Not An Alias
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,619
  • Joined: 08-June 10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

Fargo season one was amazing but season two looks like it will be even better. Kirsten Dunst's character is a maniac.
0

#16 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,508
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:18 AM

View Postblurjose, on 12 October 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

I think Morgan will get killed off despite being a great character.



Got caught up on Walking Dead last night (couldn't stand to watch the MNF game). Really good fun episode.

I was amazed Morgan got there so quickly. I thought the horn was blowing much longer than that in the previous episode. I really thought the horn was going to be the work of either that shithead kid of the abusive dad or the FSS girl who was really a spy for the W group.

But the reason I quoted this is because I though Morgan was going to be killed in the aftermath. When he was going through that house I thought it might be the armory and he was going to open the door and get killed by the woman guarding it in a panic move.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#17 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

  • Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,517
  • Joined: 24-November 08

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 20 October 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

I was amazed Morgan got there so quickly.

I'm glad someone raised this point. Where in the hell are Rick and the others if Morgan got there?
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???
0

#18 User is offline   ecbenito 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:with the outlaws

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 20 October 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

Got caught up on Walking Dead last night (couldn't stand to watch the MNF game). Really good fun episode.

I was amazed Morgan got there so quickly. I thought the horn was blowing much longer than that in the previous episode. I really thought the horn was going to be the work of either that shithead kid of the abusive dad or the FSS girl who was really a spy for the W group.

But the reason I quoted this is because I though Morgan was going to be killed in the aftermath. When he was going through that house I thought it might be the armory and he was going to open the door and get killed by the woman guarding it in a panic move.

yeah, Enid definitely could have been a spy for the Wolves. I doubt Morgan had anything to do with it, but it's really, really suspicious how he got there so quickly after the horn started and no one else did.
0

#19 User is online   v2burghboy 

  • Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,298
  • Joined: 24-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostDale Berra, on 20 October 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

I'm glad someone raised this point. Where in the hell are Rick and the others if Morgan got there?


Rick and the others were still trying to herd the walkers in the direction they want them to go. Morgan was the only one to go back, because all they heard was a horn. They would have no way of knowing the place was under attack.
0

#20 User is offline   gahran 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,792
  • Joined: 15-December 12

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

I think it was probably just a decision that was made off-screen. They sent Morgan to investigate while the rest kept up with the zombie herding.
0

Share this topic:


  • 35 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic