#42 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

View Postsilverspring, on 08 October 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

I served food to Natalie Wood....

after she died.

Now that's more interesting that serving her food before she died.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#43 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

Met Rush Limbaugh when he was quite young as part of a radio station promotion. I hate to admit it but he was a rather nice guy.

Had a phone conversation with Bruno Sammartino. He was awesome.

Dealt with both Sandusky and JoePa. Joe could be a very nice man or a real prick depending on his mood. Sandusky was a hale fellow, well met type. Nice enough guy -- had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

Interviewed the grandson of Chef Boyardee.

Sat beside Gary Player on a flight. I didn't talk to him because I didn't want to bother him but some guy approached him with his young son and Player couldn't have been nicer.

Interviewed Keith Jackson. Accomadating enough but kind of crotchety.

Had dinner with Tyoka Jackson, of Penn State and the Miami Dolphins, among other teams. Totally chill dude.

#44 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 08 October 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

Dealt with both Sandusky and JoePa. Joe could be a very nice man or a real prick depending on his mood. Sandusky was a hale fellow, well met type. Nice enough guy -- had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

I met Joe a few times and he was never anything but nice. I was a student and every single time I interacted with him, he always asked "Are you studying enough?".

#45 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

I was out for a friend's bachelor party and we had a private room at Chickie and Petes in South Philly. Bobby Clarke and Steve Coates (Coatsie, the Flyers between the benches color commentator) were there. Coatsie literally couldn't have been nicer, talked with me about hockey for about 45 minutes, nothing but praise for Mike Lange (said he was the best at calling a game he's ever heard), said Mario was the best he's ever seen, loved the Pens/Flyers rivalry, really just a fan of the sport. Bobby Clarke was a 100% asshole and if fans, lifelong Flyers fans, walked up to him to say hi, he wouldn't even turn his head to say hello. fuck that guy.

We invited both of them over since we had a open bar. Clarke wouldn't acknowledge any of our group, Coatsie did shots with us until we left.

#46 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:56 PM

Interviewed Chuck Tanner once. There are nice guys, really nice guys, and then there was Tanner.

I was 21 years old and pretty nervous about interviewing him but he made me feel like I was the most important person he had ever met.

Also, for you old school wrestling fans, I spoke with Baron Mikel Scicluna once. He was extremely gruff.

#47 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 08 October 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

Interviewed Chuck Tanner once. There are nice guys, really nice guys, and then there was Tanner.

I was 21 years old and pretty nervous about interviewing him but he made me feel like I was the most important person he had ever met.

Also, for you old school wrestling fans, I spoke with Baron Mikel Scicluna once. He was extremely gruff.

My older brother interviewed him many years ago and had the same opinion.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#48 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

View Posthir51, on 08 October 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

Did you graduate high school around 95? I know the odds are minimal, but I share a similar connection with Lemieux ....

1996 actually. He was very close friends with my friend's father, who also died shortly thereafter.

#49 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

View Postecbenito, on 08 October 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

I was out for a friend's bachelor party and we had a private room at Chickie and Petes in South Philly. Bobby Clarke and Steve Coates (Coatsie, the Flyers between the benches color commentator) were there. Coatsie literally couldn't have been nicer, talked with me about hockey for about 45 minutes, nothing but praise for Mike Lange (said he was the best at calling a game he's ever heard), said Mario was the best he's ever seen, loved the Pens/Flyers rivalry, really just a fan of the sport. Bobby Clarke was a 100% asshole and if fans, lifelong Flyers fans, walked up to him to say hi, he wouldn't even turn his head to say hello. fuck that guy.

We invited both of them over since we had a open bar. Clarke wouldn't acknowledge any of our group, Coatsie did shots with us until we left.

Was he enough of an asshole for one to end their 40 year fandom of the Flyers...

#50 User is offline   clemente_in_right 

• Silenced Pen
  • PipPip
  • Interests:selling paper

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

My favorite 'brush with greatness' story actually involves three obscure people. Cincinnati had a CBA team when I was a teenager - the Slammers. My brother is a huge UCLA fan and the Slammers had former UCLA C Brad Wright on the team. So, my dad, my brother and I would go down and watch the Slammers and then hang out afterward while my brother got Brad to sign numerous UCLA items. So, we got to know him a little bit. One night, we brought my friend Mark with us and hung around to talk with Brad. Brad said he had some UCLA stuff he wanted to give my brother back at his condo and wanted us to come back to his condo with him. He shared the condo with teammates Leapin' Lamar Heard (from UGA) and I think DeWayne Scales (LSU), but its possible Scales wasn't the third player. Anyway, the three players drove to the game together. So Wright said he'd jump in my dad's car with my brother and me in order to navigate to his condo and that Mark could ride with Heard and Scales in the car the players had driven to the coliseum. This was all fine until we got to the condo and the other car was no where to be seen. My dad started to panic after being there for 5 minutes with no sign of Mark. 15 minutes in and no sign of my friend and Heard and Scales. My dad is white as a ghost. We are sitting around the condo waiting. Wright has given my brother some stuff - a warm up jacket and some t-shirts - and is telling us stories about meeting Kareem and Wooden and Jamaal Wilkes and finally about 20 minutes after we got there, the other car arrives. Lamar Heard gets out of the car with a White Castle bag and yells 'You all thought we kidnapped Mark, didn't ya?' That was a great night.
In any human group, family, tribe, (or baseball team), there are norms - shared expectations of behavior. Any member who deviates from these norms calls into question the basic values of the group. And groups don't like to have their basic values questioned. It makes them nervous. - Jim Bouton in Ball Four Plus Ball Five

What about doctors who make house calls? Repairmen who know how to fix things? And ballplayers who hustle? And boxers who get carried out of the ring, instead of quitting because of stomach cramps? And what about the death penalty for scum who take a human life and snuff it out like it's so much garbage? I've seen the past, gentlemen, and it works. - William Shatner as T.J. Hooker in episode 1.1 'The Protectors'

It seems likely that removing the sense of closure from book writing will, in time, alter writer's attitudes toward their work. The pressure to achieve perfection will diminish, along with the artistic rigor that the pressure imposed. - Nicholas Carr from The Shallows

#51 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

Lex Luger, HHH, and John Cena worked out in my gym over the years.

#52 Guest_parkerbatteryday_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:30 PM

I have had many brushes with celebs....but the ones most relevant to this place....

When I was 12, I played a softball game in October at Schenley Oval with Stargell, Clemente and Dock Ellis. Loads of fun. Was just a pick-up kinda game as we just happened to be there. Nice folks.

I met Count Basie's sax player on a plane once and said I was a fan. He took me to First Class where Basie was and I spent 2 hours drinking gin on Basie and talking about jazz. GREAT guy.

I know Mark Cuban. Evidently....I beat him in an oratory competition in high school. I don't remember it. He does. I won a lot of those things in high school. Don't remember most of them. It was the 70's. ;)

Probably met every major wrestler in the 80's while I lived in Dallas except Flair and Hogan. Knew all of them. Was body-slammed on a table in Dallas in a club on Greenville Ave. by Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy. He said it wouldn't hurt. It fucking did. He was a douche. I have told a few Andre' stories here before. My father's family grew up in Oakland on the same street as the Sammartinos. My dad used to beat up Bruno in grade school and then Bruno's brother would come out and kick my dad's ass. Bruno started lifting in high school and didn't get his ass beat anymore.

I had many many "refreshments" in the early 80's with Willie Nelson. He was friends with my father.

I know LOTS of people in the music industry as I "dabble" a bit. Just a few...;)

#53 User is online   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Not work related...

I occasionally crossed paths with local guy in high school.

Met with Barack Obama in 2008. He was making his rounds before the election, hitting a lot of colleges and did a town hall meeting in April. I was one of about 10 students invited to sit down with him before his speech. Huge personality, aspirations and kindness. Of course, he is a politician.

When I was a kid I met in different places (good guys) Rod Woodson, Mario Lemieux, Mark Bruenel, Bill Cowher, Tommy Fattex, Jerome Bettis, Levon Kirkland, Jim Leyland...(scary as fuck) none other than Greg Lloyd.

Work related...

I had lunch with Mike Tomlin in June 2010. Really cool guy. We barely talked football, mostly family.

I had lunch this summer with Jeff Gordon. Awesome guy. I don't like Nascar at all, but I was a fan of his within a few seconds.

I met Shawn Michaels when WWE was in Pittsburgh years ago. Cool guy to me, a prick to others. I think that had more to do with me being easy going and not asking him for autographs. I haven't done that in about 15 years.

I had a sit down with Joe Pa in his home in 2009. Cool guy, wish I'd met him in the 90s when he was still really sharp. It was occasionally hard to understand him.

And, like some others here, I've made rounds covering sports. Hockey players are the best. Football players tend to suck. Depends on who you talk to in baseball. Guarantee if Clint Barmes wasn't such a chatter box he'd have been run off by media.

#54 User is offline   buckeyebucco 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

One I forgot, my first job out of high school was at a men''s wear house, I sold a suit to Larry Zconka, who was in town for HOF week. He was with Terry Bradshaw's wife, could have been ex wife at the time, not sure ( the ex figure skater). I didn't actually sell the suit but I got to take his measurements, biggest hands I've ever seen

#55 User is offline   BigBadBucs 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:25 AM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 08 October 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

This is really cool, BBB. Was this a rock album? Did the record sell much? Were you happy with the finished product?

I did an album of original songs but in hindsight I wish that I had more control of the arrangements. Most of my songs were done by a band with harmonies etc. I had to sing solo on all of them and they sounded incomplete to me. My favorite song recorded was a song called "No time to Cry". It has an amazing story behind it. I lived in some sleeping rooms with a bunch of alcoholics back in the late 60's. One Thanksgiving night I was left alone in those sleeping rooms while my other band members had dinner with their family. One of the older residents in the sleeping room named "Peanuts" came knocking on my door that night. He brought me a Thanksgiving dinner wrapped up in foil from a local greasy spoon. He was so kind and I began to cry and I just couldn't stop. He said to me, "Davey boy, It's no time to Cry" It's time to give thanks and so I wrote a song about that night.

The studio band loved it. They turned all the lights out in the studio and lit candles while we recorded this song. It was a grinding blues rock song that really struck home with those guys.

That's a little bit about my Rockin' Roll Days.

Thanks for asking Trey!

BBB

#56 User is offline   hir51 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:24 AM

View PostThe Lumber Company, on 08 October 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

1996 actually. He was very close friends with my friend's father, who also died shortly thereafter.

I believe we are talking about the same person; the father died the next Christmas.

#57 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

I shook Jerry West's hand at the Coliseum 4 years ago. Real gentleman.

#58 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostBadAndy79, on 09 October 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

I shook Jerry West's hand at the Coliseum 4 years ago. Real gentleman.

I briefly met Larry King and had a couple of quick conversations with Tommy Lasorda. Both are giant assholes in person.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#59 User is online   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

I met Dave Littlefield a few days after he was fired.

He was visibly depressed. As was I, after has horrendous run in Pittsburgh.

#60 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 09 October 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

I briefly met Larry King and had a couple of quick conversations with Tommy Lasorda. Both are giant assholes in person.

I have never heard anyone say anything good about Tom Lasorda.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic