• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steeler's Offseason Thread Rate Topic: -----

#881 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

This could be what the Browns are thinking, and I'm not sure I've seen first round QBs explained this way before.

http://www.foxsports...ound-qbs-042717
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#882 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 24 April 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

His team is saying it was due to rehydrating after having had the flu. I hope this is true. His player comp is Polamalu and I'd really like the idea of getting a Safety/LB hybrid playmaker

It was still fishy, since they said he drank like 8 bottles of water. No way you can sleep after drinking that much water. I agree with PSU tho, it makes no sense that they do not retest. They retest samples for NFL players if they are diluted.

#883 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

View Postjcharding, on 27 April 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

This could be what the Browns are thinking, and I'm not sure I've seen first round QBs explained this way before.

http://www.foxsports...ound-qbs-042717

That article starts good, but then goes off the rails quickly. It starts by showing in the early 2000's, QBs taken at the top of the 1st round were very good, while QBs taken in the mid-late 1st round were busts. Okay cool.

But then when you start to have some busts at the top of drafts- and very good QBs taken in the middle of the 1st round- the article tries to argue that they would be at the top of the 1st round IF there was a re-draft. Well...yeah.

I dunno. It seemed like the author had one theory in mind when he started the article, but then halfway through when he started to find picks contrary to his premise, he just made a square peg fit a round hole, rather than abandoning the article entirely.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#884 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

I think the bigger point was that if you hit on the QB, wherever you get him in the first round, you have gotten the #1 overall pick (assuming other similar QBs haven't done the same). So if a franchise feels like a given QB will succeed, take him regardless of where you are picking.

What the article doesn't discuss in depth is the miss rate. So is a 25% chance at THE GUY better than a 90% chance of a successful Myles Garrett.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#885 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'm with Winter, the article sucked. The author picking Alex Smith over DeMarcus Ware was silly too. Don't get me wrong, I like Alex Smith and would be incredibly happy if the Steelers next QB was someone of Smith's caliber. But Ware was one of the best LBs of the last 30 years.

#886 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

Jermaine Allensworth, on 27 April 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

I'm with Winter, the article sucked. The author picking Alex Smith over DeMarcus Ware was silly too. Don't get me wrong, I like Alex Smith and would be incredibly happy if the Steelers next QB was someone of Smith's caliber. But Ware was one of the best LBs of the last 30 years.

Yeah I'm going to say that the guy who is #8 on the all time sack leaders list has had a more impactful career than Alex Smith
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#887 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

They have to get a DB early, Colbert says Golson is pretty much done:

http://pit.247sports...t-pick-52459586

Last year, I sat here and said that we view him as an extra draft pick. And unfortunately, we canít do that right now," Pittsburgh GM Kevin Cobert told reporters on Monday. "To no fault of his own, heís been injured two years in a row, and in all honesty, I worry about a defensive back coming off of a foot injury because you donít know what heís going to be like. And we wonít know until we get into OTAís and minicamp.

"I hope he does for his sake (and) our sake, but itís less predictable because weíre dealing with two years off. Heís going to ó and his body is going to ó have to relearn a lot of football movement."

ďLast year it was one injury, now itís two and itís a foot,Ē Colbert told Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette back in February. ďAnytime a cornerback or a skill guy gets a foot injury, youíre a little concerned. Does he go from being a 4.3 guy to a 4.5? We wonít know until we see him.

ďIím a little more apprehensive. Just from sitting out two years, where you havenít played at all, itís not real easy to just step out there and catch up.Ē

#888 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

This draft is very deep in DBs. The Steelers do not have an early pick, they will be able to pick plenty of quality DBs in the second and third round. Edge Rusher is the priority.

#889 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I don't really care about Golson. The team already has two slot corners, plus Cockrell who I think would excel in that role. What they really need is another 6'+ guy who can play on the outside. They're one injury away from having either old-ass William Gay or Coty Sensabaugh, who specifically got released because he can't play outside, in that role. I was hoping that maybe Carnell Lake could turn Justin Gilbert into that guy, but...obviously not.

Honestly, all this talk about using a first round pick on a safety who can't cover pisses me off. Cockrell is a for-real free agent next year and you can never have too many cornerbacks. If they go DB in the first again it better be another corner.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#890 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

I think they see peppers as a SS and Davis as the FS. Peppers would fill the Troy/Carnell Lake kind of role

#891 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

View Postjcharding, on 27 April 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

I think they see peppers as a SS and Davis as the FS. Peppers would fill the Troy/Carnell Lake kind of role

That role doesn't really exist anymore. In 2017, Troy Polamalu's best position would be ILB and Carnell Lake would probably be a cornerback.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#892 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 27 April 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

That role doesn't really exist anymore. In 2017, Troy Polamalu's best position would be ILB and Carnell Lake would probably be a cornerback.

I kind of agree, but I would argue that it's really ILB - particularly the second ILB in a 3-4 - that really shouldn't exist anymore. So for me a traditional SS remains useful whereas I see no need to replace Timmons.

#893 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted Yesterday, 03:07 PM

View Postjcharding, on 27 April 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

I kind of agree, but I would argue that it's really ILB - particularly the second ILB in a 3-4 - that really shouldn't exist anymore. So for me a traditional SS remains useful whereas I see no need to replace Timmons.

That makes sense as to why they let Timmons go, and figure that Vince Williams can handle the short yardage situations where you would add another LB. A safety/LB hybrid is a need still. I guess Mitchell could be that guy, but you still need a safety.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic