• You cannot reply to this topic

2016 Movie Thread The one for 2016. And movies in it. Rate Topic: -----

#281 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted Yesterday, 08:58 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 22 March 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Interesting story about how studios are thinking of doing $30 home streaming for new movies: http://variety.com/2...rly-1202013205/

Seems like a lot of the comments on reddit hate it. Personally I love it. Its not all that much more expensive for 2 people to go the movies. I assume I would be able to pause the movie or rewind 10 seconds if I missed something. And the seating in my house is way better than the theatres around here.

Also itd be great for families with kids. No babysitter, you can buy cheap snacks at the store beforehand or order pizza or something. I 100% see the appeal.

Yeah, if you are not alone then this would be a great option. It is definitely cheaper and more convenient. Plus the food and beverages will be better.

#282 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 09:10 AM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 22 March 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Yeah, if you are not alone then this would be a great option. It is definitely cheaper and more convenient. Plus the food and beverages will be better.

I'd even consider paying the $30 for only myself for say something like Star Wars 8. I wouldn't have to sit in a crowded seat or worry about getting a ticket. I wouldn't do that often but I'd consider it.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#283 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Ma13tt0, on 22 March 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Interesting story about how studios are thinking of doing $30 home streaming for new movies: http://variety.com/2...rly-1202013205/

Seems like a lot of the comments on reddit hate it. Personally I love it. Its not all that much more expensive for 2 people to go the movies. I assume I would be able to pause the movie or rewind 10 seconds if I missed something. And the seating in my house is way better than the theatres around here.

Also itd be great for families with kids. No babysitter, you can buy cheap snacks at the store beforehand or order pizza or something. I 100% see the appeal.

I like going to the movies for a few reasons. The screen and sound are much much better than anything I have at home, and most movies were made with that experience in mind. Also in the theatre I can't use my phone or get distracted by my dogs or anything like that. Ever since they made all the theatres with reclining chairs, it's a no brainer for me. Plus Tuesday is $6 movie night. Cheap date.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#284 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 22 March 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

I like going to the movies for a few reasons. The screen and sound are much much better than anything I have at home, and most movies were made with that experience in mind. Also in the theatre I can't use my phone or get distracted by my dogs or anything like that. Ever since they made all the theatres with reclining chairs, it's a no brainer for me. Plus Tuesday is $6 movie night. Cheap date.

I'm with you on all counts. I have a 72" TV and a pretty good home theater sound system but there are still a lot of movies that I like to see at the movie theater.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#285 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 22 March 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

Maybe the theatres suck around here but I don't enjoy it much. The screen is bigger, thats a given, but if I dont get a good seat I have issues watching it for long periods of time. Especially if I sit close up front because the good seats are taken. As for audio the surround sound is cool but when I went to go see Batman V. Superman it was so loud that I could barely hear and understand the dialogue. That annoys me the most, big explosions and quiet talking. Thats why I usually turn on closed captions so I can figure out what the hell they just said.

I'm admittedly picky and somewhat anti-social when it comes to movie theatres. I don't go that often and would rather just wait for it to come out on Blu-ray. So for people like me the $30 wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

#286 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 22 March 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Maybe the theatres suck around here but I don't enjoy it much. The screen is bigger, thats a given, but if I dont get a good seat I have issues watching it for long periods of time. Especially if I sit close up front because the good seats are taken. As for audio the surround sound is cool but when I went to go see Batman V. Superman it was so loud that I could barely hear and understand the dialogue. That annoys me the most, big explosions and quiet talking. Thats why I usually turn on closed captions so I can figure out what the hell they just said.

I'm admittedly picky and somewhat anti-social when it comes to movie theatres. I don't go that often and would rather just wait for it to come out on Blu-ray. So for people like me the $30 wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

I have more problems with this when watching movies at home.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#287 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 22 March 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

I have more problems with this when watching movies at home.

I do too sometimes but thats why I use the closed captioning. Some movies are really bad about it.

Another thing I hate, which is not specific to home or theatre viewing, is when the screen is super fucking dark and black and I can't tell what the fuck is going on. You have to pause the movie and turn the gamma up to max to find out you've been staring at Batman's nipples the entire time while he talks to catwoman.

#288 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted Yesterday, 10:58 AM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 21 March 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

Yes. I loved The Lego Movie. It was a kids movie that was sophisticated enough to entertain adults. My kids loved Lego Batman but I was disappointed that it was pretty standard kid fare outside of a few clever things here and there.

thanks.
review I read said it was possibly best Batman movie ever and that adults would like it. I haven't talked to anyone who has seen it.

Still may go tonight but with lower expectations. I agree about first Lego movie, thought it was very creative.

#289 User is offline   Sloshy 

• GCL Pirate

Posted Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Beauty and the Beast absolutely took my breath away...

Literally. I died and was resurrected by this movie.

#290 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 AM

I was pretty bored watching the first Lego movie. I think I fell asleep the first three times I tried to watch it. I'll agree it was creative but it wasn't much more than that. Since the critics similarly loved that I'll take their reviews of the new movie with a grain of salt.

I guess for full disclosure, I hate when people start singing in movies. Why can't they just fuckin talk? Maybe I'm a bit hypocritical because I have generally enjoyed stage musicals on the few occasions I've seen them (although I could list them on one hand, two if we include my high school productions).

As for Beauty and the Beast, I ain't gonna go see some beastiality flick.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#291 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• We'll Be Ready for that Ass
  • PipPip

Posted Yesterday, 05:06 PM

View PostSloshy, on 22 March 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Beauty and the Beast absolutely took my breath away...

Literally. I died and was resurrected by this movie.

Did Emma Watson really have the musical chops for Belle, or was it mostly auto-tuned?

Liked the out-of-the-box selection, but wasn't sure if she had what it took.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

#292 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 07:52 AM

Ma13tt0, on 22 March 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Do the theatres near you have the reclining seats and let you pick your seat before you go? We don't go unless we get a good seat before hand.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#293 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 09:01 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 March 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

Do the theatres near you have the reclining seats and let you pick your seat before you go? We don't go unless we get a good seat before hand.

I dont think so. They are remodeling some of them and I was thinking a friend said they had reclining seats but I don't know for sure.

We still don't have the reserve seats yet. Just good old fashioned get there early and hope you get a good seat.

#294 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 09:04 AM

Ma13tt0, on 23 March 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

I dont think so. They are remodeling some of them and I was thinking a friend said they had reclining seats but I don't know for sure.

We still don't have the reserve seats yet. Just good old fashioned get there early and hope you get a good seat.

Well then I no longer think you're a jerk for not liking going to the theatre. We were up in Payson, AZ last summer and ended up in an old theatre with those seats and I wanted to leave the entire time. I've become a theatre snob, but once you go recliner you don't go back

#295 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 09:13 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 March 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

Well then I no longer think you're a jerk for not liking going to the theatre. We were up in Payson, AZ last summer and ended up in an old theatre with those seats and I wanted to leave the entire time. I've become a theatre snob, but once you go recliner you don't go back

I honestly have a hard time sitting still in those chairs for more than an hour. They aren't comfy and my legs don't in the rows comfortably, and they're kinda dirty too. The theatre experience around me is nothing to write home about.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic