• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

View Postjcharding, on 21 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn't think I would get diddly squat, as the entire time there was a notable cloud cover. Not so much that you couldn't see the sun and see the moon blocking, but enough clouds that it was 100% coverage (no gaps at all) and I presumed enough to block all details. I was, happily, wrong.

You realize none of that really happened. It was an alien death ship, using a tractor beam to pull a death star in front of the sun.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#722 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

jcharding, on 21 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn't think I would get diddly squat, as the entire time there was a notable cloud cover. Not so much that you couldn't see the sun and see the moon blocking, but enough clouds that it was 100% coverage (no gaps at all) and I presumed enough to block all details. I was, happily, wrong.

Dude...these are phenomenal! Do you do professional photography for a living? You would really have to know what you're doing to score pictures of this quality.

#723 User is online   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Haha, google maps, you know everything.

(go to google maps, select traffic, then zoom out to see the US, the path of the eclipse is marked by red traffic jams.)
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#724 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

From NASA the moon's shadow rolling across the country.

"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#725 User is online   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 21 August 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

Dude...these are phenomenal! Do you do professional photography for a living? You would really have to know what you're doing to score pictures of this quality.

I wish I did, I am just one of the many wannabes. There is no money in landscape and wildlife photography, so its all just for fun.

I didn't do all that much. I used a 3 year old Fuji XT1 - its a 16 megapixel body (I think, I stopped paying attention to megapixel counts a few years ago). Then, since its a mirrorless body and can use almost any lens, I splurged and bought an $80 Nikon to Fuji adaptor (there are $10 versions as well). I'll likely never be able to afford one of the $16,000 modern Nikon or Cannon 600mm lenses ... but a few years ago I was able to get a hold of an older $1200 Nikon 500 f/4 manual focus lens. Stick it all together, mount it on a tripod (I used a gimbal head for ease of use), and I was good to go.

With a 500mm lens, on an APS-C body, I get a bit of crop factor benefit. So the lens effectively has a little more reach. That meant the sun filled about a quarter of the frame, which meant I had enough data to crop a bit. There were two hard parts - somehow the clouds let through the solar details - I didn't expect that. The other thing was standard processing in Lightroom (basic contrast adjustments, for example) was pretty much backwards. So no noise reduction, no sharpening, and in this case no contrast adjustment either. Working from RAW all I did was make the blacks a little blacker and pushed the microcontrast (clarity in Lightroom) up a goodly amount to emphasize the corona a bit. Crop in about half the shots, and that's it. Editing took less than an hour, and most of that was figuring out that everything was backwards.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#726 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

Wow. About 80% of that is over my head. Very impressive.

So, did you have a solar filter over your camera lens, or were you somehow able to nullify the glare from it through your advanced settings?

I have much to learn from you.

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic