• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4/14/17 - Bucs @ Cubs Yay Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

Wow. If you told me this Pirates team would spot Jake Fucking Arrieta a 4-0 lead in the 1st, and then come back and win, I would've never believed it.

Two great wins after a complete shitshow of a series against the Reds/Red Sox. Love Frazier's .371 OBP out of the leadoff spot. Now there's a fucking leadoff man I think everyone can get behind.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#22 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

When is the last time we won a series against the Cubs? I won't even ask about a sweep. Where is CIR when I need him?
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#23 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:36 AM

View PostBadAndy79, on 15 April 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Not gonna start this game thread

Down 3-0 already. Glasnow to Indy following the game.

I can't see the sense in that. Glasnow has nothing more to learn in Indy. He's in the Pirates rotation, and that's the best place for him. There's no substitute - none - for learning by doing, and letting him take his lumps against the best. It'll make him better in the long run.

#24 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 16 April 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

I can't see the sense in that. Glasnow has nothing more to learn in Indy. He's in the Pirates rotation, and that's the best place for him. There's no substitute - none - for learning by doing, and letting him take his lumps against the best. It'll make him better in the long run.

So you're punting on the 2017 season?
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#25 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostDale Berra, on 16 April 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

They can't keep running Glasnow out there hoping the offense will score 8 runs. His job is to help the team win. He's not doing that right now. The bigger problem is that they may not have a better option.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#26 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 16 April 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

It's pretty obvious that Glasnow doesn't have what it takes to make it in the big leagues. The problem now is, along with Josh Bell, they've both been so horrendous that their trade value has absolutely plummeted. While before we were talking about a package of the two of them bringing back a low #1/high #2 starter, right now they'd be lucky to get back a low-level #3 starter for the pair of them. We should've traded them at their highest value this offseason for pitching like I had suggested.

#27 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 16 April 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

It's pretty obvious that Glasnow doesn't have what it takes to make it in the big leagues. The problem now is, along with Josh Bell, they've both been so horrendous that their trade value has absolutely plummeted. While before we were talking about a package of the two of them bringing back a low #1/high #2 starter, right now they'd be lucky to get back a low-level #3 starter for the pair of them. We should've traded them at their highest value this offseason for pitching like I had suggested.

It's tough for them to deal Glasnow for other reasons. Cole is likely to be traded in the off season, they don't have enough depth or financial flexibility to trade him.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#28 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 16 April 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

It's tough for them to deal Glasnow for other reasons. Cole is likely to be traded in the off season, they don't have enough depth or financial flexibility to trade him.

Cole can't be a free agent until 2020. The chances of the Pirates dealing Cole this offseason is less than 1%.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#29 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

I still think Bell will pan out to be a very good player.

However, Glasnow is a disaster. It isn't uncommon for young pitchers to struggle with control but he is at a level that is almost beyond repair.

#30 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 15 April 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

When is the last time we won a series against the Cubs? I won't even ask about a sweep. Where is CIR when I need him?

Last time the Pirates won a series from the Cubs...July 8-10, 2016 in Pittsburgh (won 2 of 3).
Last time the Pirates won a series in Chicago...September 25-27, 2015 (won 2 of 3).
Last sweep of the Cubs at Wrigley Field...September 5-7, 2014 (Gerrit Cole hit a HR in the 3rd game of the sweep).

#31 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 16 April 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

I still think Bell will pan out to be a very good player.

However, Glasnow is a disaster. It isn't uncommon for young pitchers to struggle with control but he is at a level that is almost beyond repair.

He pitched better yesterday but still had problems.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#32 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostDale Berra, on 16 April 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

I'm not, Neal Huntington is. So, since Huntington has punted, might as well continue to pitch Glasnow, and hope he develops.

#33 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostThunder, on 16 April 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Last time the Pirates won a series from the Cubs...July 8-10, 2016 in Pittsburgh (won 2 of 3).
Last time the Pirates won a series in Chicago...September 25-27, 2015 (won 2 of 3).
Last sweep of the Cubs at Wrigley Field...September 5-7, 2014 (Gerrit Cole hit a HR in the 3rd game of the sweep).

Nice thank you. I didn't think we won a series against the Cubs at all last year so that's a little surprising.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#34 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

Oh my fucking god.

The guy is 30 innings into his major league career. By all means let's write the fucker off.

Holy overreaction.

Shoes

#35 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 16 April 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

Oh my fucking god.

The guy is 30 innings into his major league career. By all means let's write the fucker off.

Holy overreaction.

Shoes

I'm not ready to write him off but I still don't want him working through his issues in major league games while torching the pen every 5th day because he can't go 5 innings

#36 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 16 April 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

I'm not, Neal Huntington is. So, since Huntington has punted, might as well continue to pitch Glasnow, and hope he develops.

If that's the case, Cutch/Cervelli/Watson need to be traded yesterday for prospects that will be ready in 2-3 years when Glasnow is.

#37 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 16 April 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

If that's the case, Cutch/Cervelli/Watson need to be traded yesterday for prospects that will be ready in 2-3 years when Glasnow is.

I'm not totally against the concept, but first we'll need a new GM. One that won't give in to the temptation to acquire quantity over quality. One that won't insist on MLB-ready band-aid filler players, reducing overall quality of the returns. If the Pirates are going to blow things up, hold a fire sale, and rebuild, it needs to be done right this time. They've done it wrong plenty of times before.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic