• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates Accountability Thread Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

For three years in a row this team made the Wild Card game and since then, management/ownership has made zero fucking commitment to improving the roster or spending any money and people believe they will be close this year?

Jesus Christ people
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#42 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

79-83 and just like last year I have no interest or excitement about this team.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#43 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 29 March 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

You don't think it would be huge for the rotation to get 190-200 IP at about a 3.90 ERA from their 3/4 starter? Do you not like him because he isn't on the baseball America top 100? What's your reasoning?

It would be huge but I don't think he has the stuff to give them those kinds of numbers. As someone said, his strikeout rate is not what you want at the major league level.

I would be delighted to be wrong and there are occasionally young pitchers with low K-rates who become valuable back-end starters. But that is an atypical outcome.

#44 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 29 March 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

79-83 and just like last year I have no interest or excitement about this team.

I'm looking forward to the end of meaningless ST games, but this is probably the least interested I've ever been in the Pirates. It's hard to be fully invested when the ownership clearly isn't.

#45 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 29 March 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Is that for starters or are you including relievers? He has thrown 150 innings each of the last 3 years, so it's not crazy to think he jumps up to close to 190-200. His contact rates were good as well. A strikeout per inning would seem to be high for MLB average for starters.

For MLB starting pitchers, the average 7.75K/9ip. For NL starting pitchers, it was 7.88K/9ip. He was a good bit below average for starting pitchers.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#46 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 29 March 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

You don't think it would be huge for the rotation to get 190-200 IP at about a 3.90 ERA from their 3/4 starter? Do you not like him because he isn't on the baseball America top 100? What's your reasoning?

I do but the Pirates don't like big jumps in innings pitched from one year to the next. I don't see Kuhl getting close to 200 innings.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#47 User is offline   Sloshy 

• Steve Pearce

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 29 March 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

85-77

They have some offense and some starting pitching. They also don't have enough of either to be a really good team. Kang's issues are both a distraction and degrade the offense. Bell might be the only offensive threat in the infield without Kang. Still, he is unproven. The rotation looks solid but that depends on Nova being the Nova we saw with the Pirates. If he's the Nova with the Yankees, there's a problem. They are about one injury away from flipping my projection to 77-85.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If any of the critical pieces get injured his team falls well behind.

I'm predicting huge, forward steps for Cole, Taillon and Polanco.

#48 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 29 March 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

I'm looking forward to the end of meaningless ST games, but this is probably the least interested I've ever been in the Pirates. It's hard to be fully invested when the ownership clearly isn't.

This summer I'm more interested in:

1. NHL playoffs
2. NFL draft
3. NBA playoffs
4. Return of Game of Thrones
5. Return of Orange is the New Black
10001. Pirates season

#49 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostMa13tt0, on 29 March 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

This summer I'm more interested in:

1. NHL playoffs
2. NFL draft
3. NBA playoffs
4. Return of Game of Thrones
5. Return of Orange is the New Black
10001. Pirates season

Really? No offense, but I just don't believe this is true, unless you are posting more on the "Orange is the New Black" message board.

Maybe I just don't understand the dynamic of coming on here to tell us how much you don't care.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#50 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

View PostDale Berra, on 29 March 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Really? No offense, but I just don't believe this is true, unless you are posting more on the "Orange is the New Black" message board.
http://
Maybe I just don't understand the dynamic of coming on here to tell us how much you don't care.

Uh did you see the finale for season 4 of Orange is the New Black? I gotta find out if she pulls the trigger on that prison guard or not.

Secondly I dont think of this place as a Pirates board anymore. Hell the hottest thread is the politics thread.

Thirdly the Pens are exciting, I've always loved the NFL draft, I wanna see what happens with the Warriors, and Game of Thrones is Game of Thrones.

Plus the MLB season is so long that its hard for me to get excited early on and a ranking of 10,001 is hyperbole.

#51 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

83-79. They'll finish well back of the final wild card spot, but the front office will try to point to the winning record and attempt to sell to the masses that they came oh so close.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#52 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

View PostDale Berra, on 29 March 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Surprising thing to me is that people looked forward to seasons more when they were in the middle of a 20 season long losing streak.

#53 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Jared Hughes released. Finally.

#54 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

92 wins.

I say Nova ends up being a big positive factor while he and Cole lead a very good rotation. Taillon won't be lights-out but he'll be good enough, and there will be at least one really good stretch for him. Kuhl and either Brault or one of the other candidates will give us unspectacular innings while Glasnow pitches in Indy.

The pitching staff will lead the team to a better than expected April and May - with Kang eventually arriving. The offense will finally start to come around and the Pirates will briefly overtake the Cubs for first place in the division, but they'll be back in second place and stay there for the balance of the season.

#55 User is online   Grey 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Just not enough pitching.

75-87
Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street

#56 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 29 March 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

Boy, you fucks are delusional

75-87

No, no, no.
This is delusional.

Cutch bounces back, Harrison evens out, 1B is productive, best OF in baseball lives in Pittsburgh in 2017, Cole and Taillon anchor a surprisingly average rotation and we win 90.

90!

Now that is fucking delusional. What? What was that? Who said that? Anyone else hear that?

Scabies.

#57 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

View Postgahran, on 29 March 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

92 wins.

I say Nova ends up being a big positive factor while he and Cole lead a very good rotation. Taillon won't be lights-out but he'll be good enough, and there will be at least one really good stretch for him. Kuhl and either Brault or one of the other candidates will give us unspectacular innings while Glasnow pitches in Indy.

The pitching staff will lead the team to a better than expected April and May - with Kang eventually arriving. The offense will finally start to come around and the Pirates will briefly overtake the Cubs for first place in the division, but they'll be back in second place and stay there for the balance of the season.

The longer Kang is out, the more likely that it is that he will be out a long time. He's not in camp yet and there is no sign he's going to be soon. If he's not in country on opening day, I'm guessing he misses the entire month of April. They play 24 games in April with 15 games against the Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, and Cards. They have three more in Miami. They better get some offense or we will be trying to forget about April in April.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#58 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

No, this is delusional.

View PostDale Berra, on 29 March 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

And they are better without Kang.

Since when is a team with two real home-run hitters better without one of those hitters? The Pirates are not better with David Freese, or Josh Harrison, or anyone currently on the roster, at third base in place of Kang. If you think that he's not coming back, that's a legitimate prediction. If you think that what Kang did violates your moral standards so that you can't root for him anymore, then I respect your point of view (probably...it would depend on specifics).

If you think the team is better with anemic bats or empty averages at corner spots, that's moon-barking crazy talk. Just because I hate Ben Roethlisberger doesn't mean I think the Steelers are a better team when they start Landry Jones.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#59 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 29 March 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

The longer Kang is out, the more likely that it is that he will be out a long time. He's not in camp yet and there is no sign he's going to be soon. If he's not in country on opening day, I'm guessing he misses the entire month of April. They play 24 games in April with 15 games against the Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, and Cards. They have three more in Miami. They better get some offense or we will be trying to forget about April in April.

Will you please stop the ridiculous fretting over that turd?
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#60 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostDale Berra, on 29 March 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Will you please stop the ridiculous fretting over that turd?

Ok. Please post the list of turds that I should fret over.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic