Pittsburgh Pirates: Random technology thread - Pittsburgh Pirates

Jump to content

  • 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Random technology thread Rate Topic: -----

#421 User is offline   ECBucs 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,314
  • Joined: 21-November 08

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

Alabama introduces bill to require porn filters on all internet devices. Apparently this has been introduced in a number of other states too. I can't see this passing here or anywhere else.

http://wkrg.com/2017...ternet-devices/

When state lawmakers return to Montgomery, they’ll consider Jefferson County Representative Jack Williams’ “porn blocker” bill.

HB 428 would make it a crime to sell any internet device that doesn’t have a filter blocking obscene websites installed on it. In order to remove the filters, the bill states that retailers would have charge $20 and forward the money along with a written request to the state government.

The websites that would be restricted range from porn sites to human trafficking sites.

In order to remove the filters, the bill states that retailers would have to charge $20 and forward the money along with a written request to the state government.


0

#422 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,628
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostECBucs, on 30 March 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Alabama introduces bill to require porn filters on all internet devices. Apparently this has been introduced in a number of other states too. I can't see this passing here or anywhere else.

http://wkrg.com/2017...ternet-devices/

When state lawmakers return to Montgomery, they’ll consider Jefferson County Representative Jack Williams’ “porn blocker” bill.

HB 428 would make it a crime to sell any internet device that doesn’t have a filter blocking obscene websites installed on it. In order to remove the filters, the bill states that retailers would have charge $20 and forward the money along with a written request to the state government.

The websites that would be restricted range from porn sites to human trafficking sites.

In order to remove the filters, the bill states that retailers would have to charge $20 and forward the money along with a written request to the state government.


Those guys will lose their jobs so quickly if they pass that. According to Pornhub.com'a data, Alabama tied for the second most porn watched of any state, right behind Mississippi.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
1

#423 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,693
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 30 March 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

I welcome transhumanism with open arms under two conditions:

1. Neuralink, or its eventual successor, is able to distinguish intentional thought from tangential thought. Actual human thought is not direct or linear. It's more like what you get if you try to speed-read a James Joyce novel. It is not the ideal appendage for directly manipulating a user interface. And eliminating tangential thought is not an acceptable solution to me, because that's where inspiration originates.

2. Transhumans are still able to enjoy riding motorcycles.


that #1 is kind of interesting. Someone should work on that.


a much easier problem is the implanting electrodes motor control of robotic arm stuff. That can already be done. Reading out a signal to move an arm from the correct location after training is not too difficult (uh, let's say relatively because it is difficult as hell). Reading out the intention to do something is a bit more of a challenge. Want to watch some videos of paralyzed patients with Ecog implants moving robotic arms? This is from the Pitt-UPMC Brain Computer Interface research lab.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#424 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,667
  • Joined: 19-April 16

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 30 March 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

I never want it. I know it's coming, but I never want it.

If you are basically placing a computer within your brain, that computer can be hacked to either steal your memories, or even re-direct you to do other things. Essentially, you could become a Manchurian Candidate.

There's a tangential conspiracy theory to this, that modern cars with all of their computer operations can ALREADY be hacked, and a few people have potentially been killed by their cars being electronically hijacked.

I don't want any part of transhumanism, because I don't trust the people in power not to abuse it.


Potentially been killed?

So with this transhumanism, if I have a thought about killing someone, I can be arrested? Maybe the porn filters are a good idea.
0

#425 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,936
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 31 March 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

Potentially been killed?


http://www.huffingto..._n_3492339.html
0

#426 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

  • GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8,720
  • Joined: 10-April 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Right Behind You
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 31 March 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

Potentially been killed?

So with this transhumanism, if I have a thought about killing someone, I can be arrested? Maybe the porn filters are a good idea.

You certainly wouldn't get arrested for having a thought about zombie masking Sasha Grey. She gets paid to take loads on the face.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels
0

#427 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,667
  • Joined: 19-April 16

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 31 March 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:



You know that is not very realistic right? You cannot hack a computer that is not connected to the internet.
0

#428 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,628
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

Cutch with the clutch strikeout

Wrong thread but maybe we can replace Cutch's brain with a younger version
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#429 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,667
  • Joined: 19-April 16

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 03 April 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

Cutch with the clutch strikeout

Wrong thread but maybe we can replace Cutch's brain with a younger version


Elon Musk can experiment with him.
0

#430 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,936
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

https://www.universe...d-on-enceladus/

Pretty sweet discovery here. I think there's a good chance there's at least microbial life in our solar system on Enceladus, Europa, and Mars.
0

#431 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

  • GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8,720
  • Joined: 10-April 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Right Behind You
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

I think there was microbial life on Mars, but that there's not anymore. Martian life (potatoes and otherwise) is extinct. For Europa and Enceladus, I have more hope.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels
0

#432 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,936
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 15 April 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

I think there was microbial life on Mars, but that there's not anymore. Martian life (potatoes and otherwise) is extinct. For Europa and Enceladus, I have more hope.


I find it interesting that the original microbial life experiments on the Viking landers came back positive, and the scientists that created those experiments hold that those experiments were accurate to this day.

And as far as I know, NASA never sent another life-finding experiment on any of the other space probes and landers since.
0

#433 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,628
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

Didn't they find hydrogen based water on one of the moons of Saturn?
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#434 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,936
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 15 April 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

Didn't they find hydrogen based water on one of the moons of Saturn?


Correct friend! That what's my link above mentions.
0

#435 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,757
  • Joined: 01-November 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 15 April 2017 - 06:05 AM, said:

I think there's a good chance there's at least microbial life in our solar system on Europa.


You must've missed this documentary on Netflix: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/
0

#436 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,936
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

I think that's more of a fictional work as opposed to a documentary, unless you were just being cheeky there.

I've heard of this movie, but have not seen it. Is it worth it?
0

#437 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

  • All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,757
  • Joined: 01-November 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 15 April 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

I think that's more of a fictional work as opposed to a documentary, unless you were just being cheeky there.

I've heard of this movie, but have not seen it. Is it worth it?


Yes, I was just kidding. It's a pretty good movie, I think you'd enjoy it.
1

#438 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,628
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

I don't know if this goes here but the latest blow to Uber's future came when it was revealed that Uber continued to track iPhones even after the app had been deleted and they sent employees to go book and cancel Lyft rides. Uber hemmorages money so they need to figure it out soon or they will have to fold up shop. Also there's been about one exec every 2 days leaving the company, and that news coming out makes more sense because many from the technology dept have left. All of that on the heels of the sexist/sexual harrsssment allegations.

Kalanick is a shit bag. It will be shocking if he finishes out the year.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#439 User is offline   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,693
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 24 April 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

I don't know if this goes here but the latest blow to Uber's future came when it was revealed that Uber continued to track iPhones even after the app had been deleted and they sent employees to go book and cancel Lyft rides. Uber hemmorages money so they need to figure it out soon or they will have to fold up shop. Also there's been about one exec every 2 days leaving the company, and that news coming out makes more sense because many from the technology dept have left. All of that on the heels of the sexist/sexual harrsssment allegations.

Kalanick is a shit bag. It will be shocking if he finishes out the year.


woah, it's not like Uber's future is in jeopardy at all. They are still bringing in a shitton of revenue. The reason for losses are future investments and resolving court costs from their aggressive start up period (and that harassment stuff). If they were at real risk they could easily cut development projects and coast on revenue.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#440 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,628
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 24 April 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

woah, it's not like Uber's future is in jeopardy at all. They are still bringing in a shitton of revenue. The reason for losses are future investments and resolving court costs from their aggressive start up period (and that harassment stuff). If they were at real risk they could easily cut development projects and coast on revenue.


The losses have been growing and they aren't close to turning a profit. Of course that's the life cycle of a start up, but their losses are going in the wrong direction. They claim to have a war chest big enough to wait out Lyft(because we all know they're just waiting until Lyft folds so they can jack up prices), but PE firms generally aren't patient when their CEO and CFOs are bringing on unecessary expenses and not bringing them closer to an exit.

Lyft claims they will be in the black this year.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

Share this topic:


  • 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic