• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baseball Trivia Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

Not sure if this will gain any traction or not, but it might be fun. I always enjoy some good trivia especially if it involves anything pre-1990. I don't know too much trivia-wise since then.

We can have more than one trivia question going at a time. If we do, the respondant should clarify which question he is answering.

I just saw the stats of one of the players involved in this question and was stunned, so I researched and came up with the answer myself.

Name the three players in the history of major league baseball who, during his career, has had a season where he hit 30+ homers and a season where he stole 70+ bases.

Hint: None are in the HOF

Hint 2: Player #1 is the only person in history to hit 30+ bombs and steal 80+ bases in individual seasons.

Hint 3: Player #2 is sill active

Hint 4: Player #3 surprised the fuck out of me...I never thought of this guy as someone who would have done either 30+ or 70+. But he did both.

Shoes

#2 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 24 July 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

Not sure if this will gain any traction or not, but it might be fun. I always enjoy some good trivia especially if it involves anything pre-1990. I don't know too much trivia-wise since then.

We can have more than one trivia question going at a time. If we do, the respondant should clarify which question he is answering.

I just saw the stats of one of the players involved in this question and was stunned, so I researched and came up with the answer myself.

Name the three players in the history of major league baseball who, during his career, has had a season where he hit 30+ homers and a season where he stole 70+ bases.

Hint 2: Player #1 is the only person in history to hit 30+ bombs and steal 80+ bases in individual seasons.

Hint 4: Player #3 surprised the fuck out of me...I never thought of this guy as someone who would have done either 30+ or 70+. But he did both.

Shoes

Figured Raines and Rickey...but both did not quite get to 30 HRs. Jacoby Elsbury is the active player. Eric Davis had 30+ and 80+.

#3 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 24 July 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

Shoes

Got 'em. One I knew because I just re-read Ball Four last week. One I knew because I hate that team. The other I had to look up.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#4 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

Still one that hasn't been figured out yet.

He's the one whose stats I saw today that led me to think of the question.

Shoes

#5 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 24 July 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Still one that hasn't been figured out yet.

He's the one whose stats I saw today that led me to think of the question.

Shoes

Tommy Harper. He played with the Seattle Pilots. When I read Ball Four, I looked up his numbers.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#6 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 July 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

Tommy Harper.

That's the one. I knew he stole quite a bit but never would have thought he would have had 70 in one year. And he wasn't really a power hitter. Only had 10+ like 5 times.

Shoes

#7 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 24 July 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

That's the one. I knew he stole quite a bit but never would have thought he would have had 70 in one year. And he wasn't really a power hitter. Only had 10+ like 5 times.

Shoes

That was the way I remembered him.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#8 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 July 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

That was the way I remembered him.

If he would have done it 20 years later, he would have been accused of juicing.

#9 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

View PostECBucs, on 24 July 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

If he would have done it 20 years later, he would have been accused of juicing.

Brady Anderson of his day.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#10 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

Who threw the first major league no-hitter in the city of Pittsburgh?
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#11 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 July 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

Who threw the first major league no-hitter in the city of Pittsburgh?

Bob Gibson?

#12 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 24 July 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

Bob Gibson?

Yep. August 14, 1971. He no-hit the eventual World Series champions. He was one of four pitchers named Bob to pitch that night. The others were Bob Johnson, Bob Veale, and Bob Moose. The only pitcher not named Bob was Nellie Briles. Bob Robertson started at first for the Pirates.

It's a long threat to pull but which player in the Pirates lineup that night, started the chain of events that connects that 1971 team to the early 1990s teams?

It's a series of trades.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#13 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 July 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yep. August 14, 1971. He no-hit the eventual World Series champions. He was one of four pitchers named Bob to pitch that night. The others were Bob Johnson, Bob Veale, and Bob Moose. The only pitcher not named Bob was Nellie Briles. Bob Robertson started at first for the Pirates.

I was pretty sure no one pitched a no-no at Forbes Field. Which is easy to understand, since that outfield was so huge. Leaving tons of room for Texas Leaguers to bloop in safely.

As an aside, I remember Gibson's no-no well. The Cards won that night 11-0. As the game drew towards the finish, it became easier to root for Gibson, since a hit - any hit - wasn't going to help the Pirates. And who doesn't want to see history happen? So, even though that game was at TRS, Gibson was getting cheered hard, over the last few innings.

#14 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 24 July 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

I was pretty sure no one pitched a no-no at Forbes Field. Which is easy to understand, since that outfield was so huge. Leaving tons of room for Texas Leaguers to bloop in safely.

As an aside, I remember Gibson's no-no well. The Cards won that night 11-0. As the game drew towards the finish, it became easier to root for Gibson, since a hit - any hit - wasn't going to help the Pirates. And who doesn't want to see history happen? So, even though that game was at TRS, Gibson was getting cheered hard, over the last few innings.

I saw several near no-hitters. Then I saw the Max Scherzer no-no against the Bucs. Silverspring and ASO were also at that game.

But which Pirates who hit against Gibson that night starts a series of connections that leads to a player on the 1990s division winning teams.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#15 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 July 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

I saw several near no-hitters. Then I saw the Max Scherzer no-no against the Bucs. Silverspring and ASO were also at that game.

But which Pirates who hit against Gibson that night starts a series of connections that leads to a player on the 1990s division winning teams.

The near no-no that broke my heart was Drabek's in Philly. 1 out away, and Sil Campusano - a textbook banjo hitter - singled to break it up. That one still hurts.

#16 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 24 July 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

The near no-no that broke my heart was Drabek's in Philly. 1 out away, and Sil Campusano - a textbook banjo hitter - singled to break it up. That one still hurts.

For me, it was Ken Brett's near perfect game. He took it into the 9th inning. Fred Kendall (Jason's Dad) singled to break it up. It was the first game of a double header. Richie Hebner hit a walk off 2-run homer to win the second game.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#17 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 July 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

Let's see....

Dave Cash was traded for Ken Brett, who was traded (as part of a package) for Doc Medich, who was traded (as part of a multi-player deal) for Phil Garner, who was traded (as part of a multi-player deal) for Johnny Ray, who was traded for Miguel Garcia, whose last season was 1989.

No, that's not it.

Milt May was traded for Jerry Reuss, who was traded for Rick Rhoden, who was traded (as part of a multi-player deal) for Doug Drabek.

There ya go.

#18 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 24 July 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

Let's see....

Dave Cash was traded for Ken Brett, who was traded (as part of a package) for Doc Medich, who was traded (as part of a multi-player deal) for Phil Garner, who was traded (as part of a multi-player deal) for Johnny Ray, who was traded for Miguel Garcia, whose last season was 1989.

No, that's not it.

Milt May was traded for Jerry Reuss, who was traded for Rick Rhoden, who was traded (as part of a multi-player deal) for Doug Drabek.

There ya go.

That's it.

Interesting way to look at trades. Milt May for Doug Drabek and it ties two of the better runs of Pirates teams in the team's history. It's surprisingly difficult to link trades over a period of time since players leave to free agency, get cut, or retire.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#19 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 July 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

That's it.

Interesting way to look at trades. Milt May for Doug Drabek and it ties two of the better runs of Pirates teams in the team's history. It's surprisingly difficult to link trades over a period of time since players leave to free agency, get cut, or retire.

Well, Ricardo Rincon was plucked from the Mexican League. Then traded for Brian Giles. Who was traded for Jason Bay and Ollie Perez. Bay was traded for a bunch of dreck, one of which was Bryan Morris. Who was traded for the Competitive Balance draft pick that became Conner Joe. Who is often injured, and not exactly tearing it up, but is in Altoona as a 24-year-old.

So, Joe isn't looking like much so far, which makes the link kind of tenuous looking. But in a way, plucking a bullpen guy out of the Mexican League 20 years ago is still paying off.

#20 User is offline   Grey 

• Bear Down Arizona
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

What years are the "dead ball era"?
Heineken? Fuck that shit...Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic