• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Almost Famous Your brushes with the famous or infamous Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

I thought about this the other night when I was scanning movie titles on Netflix and saw the movie Almost Famous and thought it would be a good thread and a fun change of pace after last night's game. I also saw one called Iron Sky #2: Nazis on the Moon but didn't think that would make for a good thread. Anyway, here are my brushes with fame and infamy. Except for the first one, they are in no particular order.

1. My brothers and I got a ride from Roberto Clemente. It was the first time I'd ever been in a Cadillac.
2. My ex-wife and got to party with Sam Kinison and his entourage in his hotel suite.
3. My wife and I were military consultants for the first season of Homeland.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#2 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

I shook Jon Gruden's hand at Pike Place Fish Market last Sunday. Just got back from Seattle.

#3 User is online   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

I have a couple different categories I will post mine in:

Penn State Edition:
1. Nearly got into a fist fight with former Steeler Derek Moye
2. Spoke to former Dolphin backup QB Pat Devlin on the phone because his girlfriend asked me to talk to him when he called her while she was at my townhouse
3. After he became UFC famous, worked out with Phil Davis when he was back on campus

Colgate Edition:
1. Passed the ball to Carmelo a bunch of times during pre-game shootaround at the Carrier Dome before they waxed Colgate of course
2. Watched an entire Colgate hockey game with Ray Bourque and actually spent a good part of a period talking to him
3. Had a 20 minute conversation with Pat Summit (she's actually pretty cool)
4. I played basketball 2-3 times a week with current Packers GM Mark Murphy, who also played for the Redskins, he was the AD at Colgate when I was there

Random Edition:
1. Sat three seats down from Kevin Durant and was able to meet him at a Washington Mystics game three years ago (yeah I know, I was at a WNBA game)
2. Spent about an hour talking to Sean McDonough before a Women's NCAA Tournament game I was working and he was broadcasting
3. Rode in an elevator with Mike Golic at the Division 1-AA National Championship game in 2004

I think that's all I got, although some of these people really aren't all that famous.
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#4 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

I still drive a Mazda 6.

Mic drop.
Utah, get me two.

#5 User is online   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 08 October 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

I still drive a Mazda 6.

Mic drop.

We have a winner
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#6 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

I've never heard of Mic Drop. Is he a rapper?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#7 User is offline   buckeyebucco 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

Met Earl Bruce, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer. Urban Meyer was actually running across the street because he was getting a parking ticket, as soon as the city employee saw it was his car, he threw the ticket out. After I said hello and got a handshake, I remembered all the times I or someone I know has heard from a ticket writer that once they start putting the information in, they can't delete it and pull the ticket.

Met Jerry Springer
Kevin Young handed me a baseball once
Met Jason Kendall, who was not very nice
And met Kevin Farley (Chris Farley's bro) who lived next to my friend and her sisters apartment in West Hollywood

and....wait for it....I met Virgil

#8 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

I took Ed Bradley and a 60 minutes crew to Cambodia in the mid-80s. He was a huge Georgetown hoops fan (Patrick Ewing heyday) so we talked Big East basketball while strolling on camera through rural Cambodia.

I met and spoke to Cambodia's King Sihanouk at a reception at the time of the Cambodia peace negotiations.

I briefed John Kerry when he was a junior Senator.

The only thing sports-related I can come up with is chatting with Syd Thrift when he was the GM in Baltimore.

#9 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

A lot of athletes and television personalities, but nothing too ridiculous or interesting. I've hung out with a bunch of Penguins on various occasions, including Sid and MAF on New Year's Eve many years ago. I almost took a shot of Crown Royal with Michael Jordan during Mario's golf event at Nevillewood many years back, but he decided against it after getting persuaded by the shot girls on one of tees. I physically ran into Bryce Harper during his rookie season when I was coming out of Jimmy John's at lunch on Grant Street downtown. I got an autograph from Barry Bonds when I was in middle school in the lobby of the Westin Hotel in Chicago and he couldn't have been more pleasant. And I've spent time with a ton of college basketball coaches at various coaching clinics and such, including John Calipari and Sean Miller.

One of my favorite stories was seeing George Lucas at McSorley's in New York City - he was just drinking with some folks at a table next to ours and couldn't have seemed more normal.

My most memorable one was probably being consoled by Mario Lemieux at the funeral of one of my best friends growing up who had died in a car accident.

#10 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

I saw celebrities all the time, when I lived in Vail in the '70s and '80s. Served breakfast to Natalie Wood (before she died), her husband Robert Wagner, Robert Redford and Jack Nicklaus. Spent a summer as part of a crew working on one of the Webster's (of dictionary fame) house they were having built. I say house, but it was more of a mansion, with a swimming pool on the 4th floor, and a greenhouse on the 5th floor. Dude spent millions building that place.

But my coolest encounter was one night a friend of mine and I were in one of bars in Vail drinking and shooting the breeze after work. After a number of beers, we got kind of vulgar and loud, as drunks are wont to do. So, we're sitting at the bar, conversing, and it was fucking this and goddamn that and cocksucking the other thing, when someone taps me on the shoulder. And says, "Excuse me, can you two watch the language a bit, please?"

I turned, and it was Art Linkletter. Close enough that I could have knocked him off his barstool. He was a known Christian, so my friend and I apologized profusely. He would up buying us a few rounds, and we talked with him for awhile - about the skiing, and his TV work, and life in general. Hell of a nice guy.

#11 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 08 October 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

I've never heard of Mic Drop. Is he a rapper?

Beastie Boy.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#12 User is offline   buckeyebucco 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

View PostThe Lumber Company, on 08 October 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

A lot of athletes and television personalities, but nothing too ridiculous or interesting. I've hung out with a bunch of Penguins on various occasions, including Sid and MAF on New Year's Eve many years ago. I almost took a shot of Crown Royal with Michael Jordan during Mario's golf event at Nevillewood many years back, but he decided against it after getting persuaded by the shot girls on one of tees. I physically ran into Bryce Harper during his rookie season when I was coming out of Jimmy John's at lunch on Grant Street downtown. I got an autograph from Barry Bonds when I was in middle school in the lobby of the Westin Hotel in Chicago and he couldn't have been more pleasant. And I've spent time with a ton of college basketball coaches at various coaching clinics and such, including John Calipari and Sean Miller.

One of my favorite stories was seeing George Lucas at McSorley's in New York City - he was just drinking with some folks at a table next to ours and couldn't have seemed more normal.

My most memorable one was probably being consoled by Mario Lemieux at the funeral of one of my best friends growing up who had died in a car accident.
didnt you work for ESPN or something like that?

#13 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 08 October 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

Served breakfast to Natalie Wood (before she died),

Most unnecessary parenthetical ever?

#14 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Mario Lemieux left me hanging for a high five at the 6.6K run finish line on Sunday
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#15 Guest_blurjose_*

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

I got a blowjob through a glory hole from George Michael at the park. At least I think it was George Michael.

#16 User is offline   buckeyebucco 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

View Postblurjose, on 08 October 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

I got a blowjob through a glory hole from George Michael at the park. At least I think it was George Michael.

A banged a guys gf who ended pitching for the Cubs and red sox for a very brief period of time, in the bedroom right next to his

#17 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostUtterly Irredeemable, on 08 October 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Most unnecessary parenthetical ever?

Maybe. It wasn't long before she died, although she didn't look ill at the time. Wagner was in Vail filming an episode of Hart to Hart, and Wood was accompanying him.

#18 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 08 October 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Maybe. It wasn't long before she died, although she didn't look ill at the time. Wagner was in Vail filming an episode of Hart to Hart, and Wood was accompanying him.

May have something to do with the fact she drowned.

#19 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

turned around in Florida at a restaurant and literally ran into Bruce Willis
shook Shaq's hand and his grip pretty much went up to my elbow
while still in college almost got into a fight with Mike McQueary because a friend of mine called him a 'cuntfaced ginger'
had several conversations and a meal with Lance Armstrong. still the most arrogant, self absorbed piece of shit I've ever come in contact with.
met Ben Bernanke and Alan Greenspan at a conference in DC

#20 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

View Postbuckeyebucco, on 08 October 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

didnt you work for ESPN or something like that?

I did. Unless you count ESPN personalities, I didn't really meet anybody all that interesting during my year in Bristol, except for some random current and former hockey and baseball players doing work on NHL Tonight and Baseball Tonight like Ray Ferraro and Tony Twist.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic