Pittsburgh Pirates: [Lie]Nutting Pledges To Increase Payroll to $75 Million[/Lie] - Pittsburgh Pirates

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »

[Lie]Nutting Pledges To Increase Payroll to $75 Million[/Lie]

#21 User is offline   Pjoma 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Jeff King @ Jan 25 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just so you know CBH, that's not Pjoma's love child. That's Pjoma. See, he's been posting over on OBN with the screen name, "Bloop and a Blast." A few weeks ago that same screen name started posting here on CIA.

It didn't dawn on me what exactly has been going on until now. Now that there are no NH supporters left on this board, Pjoma is left on "Chewing on Deal Nothington's Balls Island," all by his lonesome. So in an effort to try to even the sides up a bit, he registered the same name over here on CIA. Now after he posts his propaganda over there on OBN, he reposts it here on CIA.

Sadly for him, no matter how many aliases he uses, it won't change the fact that Neal Huntington is absolutely clueless and sucks as a GM.

You're an even bigger asshole than I thought you were. Sure as shit I post there, just like TLC, gb21, Penguin, you and the douchbag from Texas and likely many others. But to even suggest that I have created a fucking ID to post my posts from there is beyond the fucking dumbest thing I've ever heard you utter. Just like A. Senter is plagarising my posts from here and pasting them there, some fucking idiot has done the same thing here. If you are too stupid to figure that out, I suggest you talk to Chester, BuccoVelo, WillieBuc or the webadmin here and that can be confirmed. If I have something to say here, I say it here. If I post there, it's because I'm responding to someone there.

FUCK YOU!
"Huntington is doing exactly what he was hired to do, and that the fans and media in Pittsburgh cant quite grasp this, that they still hold the 2008-09 trades against him, is an indictment of their sensibilities." Joe Sheehan 6/6/10

#22 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Pjoma, do you ever get that......not so fresh feeling?
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#23 Guest_parkerbatteryday_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

A. Senter....LOL!!! Yea....fuck you Nosmo...smile.gif

He sure told you....

<-----starting to pop the corn....

#24 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Pjoma @ Jan 25 2010, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're an even bigger asshole than I thought you were. Sure as shit I post there, just like TLC, gb21, Penguin, you and the douchbag from Texas and likely many others. But to even suggest that I have created a fucking ID to post my posts from there is beyond the fucking dumbest thing I've ever heard you utter. Just like A. Senter is plagarising my posts from here and pasting them there, some fucking idiot has done the same thing here. If you are too stupid to figure that out, I suggest you talk to Chester, BuccoVelo, WillieBuc or the webadmin here and that can be confirmed. If I have something to say here, I say it here. If I post there, it's because I'm responding to someone there.

FUCK YOU!

Is there an emoticon that expresses riotous laughter? Because that's what this post brought about for me.

#25 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

#26 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Pjoma @ Jan 25 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FUCK YOU!

Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#27 Guest_parkerbatteryday_*

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

There is no hope for PJ...maybe a nice bottle of Chianti would help him....bleccchhhh.

#28 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

I actually found nothing Robert said all that interesting except for the fact that he seemed to throw his amazing management team under the bus for not signing Sano.

I also don't understand why anyone would think the Bay trade was financially motivated. They needed more talent. How else were they going to get it? I agree they should be spending more in the draft and in the international market, but I don't think you can throw Nutting under the bus for spending more money on the major league market unless you can figure out some guys he should have spent more money on.
CRIM

#29 Guest_parkerbatteryday_*

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

I think the point is that by the way the team is managed by this ownership group, they can make the moves...or lack of moves to assure that the team never gets to the point where expectations of the fans will be so high that spending 75M to 80M will actually put this team over the top and in real contention for a title. Ownership can always disagree that "this"...whenever this is...is the time to really invest in payroll at the MLB level. They can pretty much make sure it never happens by always drafting the middling talent and never the superior talent and always going for quantity over quality. Having a ton of mediocre talent never gets you there....and aside from very few...that's what the Pirates have...a bunch of mid-level guys and only one bonafide impact player. By the time Alvarez is ready to leave and they can't afford him, more "talent" will be ready...but Senior Slugger will be gone. More excuse-making and another 5 year plan will follow. Shampoo, rinse, repeat. If it ever comes time to actually spend the $75 to $80M and not doing so will cause a fan revolt, they will then sell the damn team rather than spend the money and cut into their final profit-taking at the point of sale. I sure hope I'm wrong. The problem is that we'll never know until we get "there" and it's easy to make sure we never get there as long as the apologists make it possible for the Nuttings to continue to pull the wool over the eyes of the consumers. I really do hope I'm wrong though.....but I don't think I am.

#30 User is offline   jpbucco 

• Koveltwats Daddy
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

I'm still willing to keep a small flame of hope burning in my soul, that these assclowns know what they're doing.

But....I AM dumb.
Oh shit! There's stickers!

#31 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (CRIMHEAD @ Jan 25 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also don't understand why anyone would think the Bay trade was financially motivated. They needed more talent. How else were they going to get it?

While I'm disappointed in what we got in return for Bay, I fully supported trading him and think it was the right decision.

But there is no doubt that trading Bay was financially motivated. Let's make this a simple as we possibly can here.

Jason Bay was traded because he was about to become ridiculously expensive at about $13-16 million dollars per season. Even if Littlefield never got fired and there was never some big proclamation made about a rebuild, there is not even the slightest chance that we would still have Jason Bay.

Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#32 User is offline   engma 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

I'd like to father Jeff King's love child...

wait, which account am I on? shi-

#33 Guest_u0007890_*

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

While I certainly agree with the majority, and while I certainly think Pjoma is a sanctimonious dickhead, I think we've become bizarro OBN...the same way anyone over there that doesn't suck the balls of management is reviled, the supporters are similarly dismissed here. Now I think we have 17 years of history on our side, but just sayin.'

#34 User is offline   mercerboy 

• Aspiring Legend
  • PipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (u0007890 @ Jan 25 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bizarro OBN

I love this. Maybe we should add it to the dictionary.
Proud member of the Soul-sucking Pessimist Club.

"The power of Change In Atmosphere Night defies all known laws of the universe." - Syrbucco

The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy - as seen on CNBC and ESPNEWS for making $324.34 by betting $20 against the Pirates in every game of the 2010 season.

#35 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Jeff King @ Jan 25 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I'm disappointed in what we got in return for Bay, I fully supported trading him and think it was the right decision.

But there is no doubt that trading Bay was financially motivated. Let's make this a simple as we possibly can here.

Jason Bay was traded because he was about to become ridiculously expensive at about $13-16 million dollars per season. Even if Littlefield never got fired and there was never some big proclamation made about a rebuild, there is not even the slightest chance that we would still have Jason Bay.

I guess that's where we differ. I do believe that the Nutting will pony up sizable cash if they feel like they are getting a true all-star player. I see two middle of the order guys or 1 stud and 2 other decent players making 25M total and 2 stud starters making about the same. You keep moving young players in and out and recycling all your other guys about ready to enter into a big contract year, and you've got something. I do believe that would give us about an 80M payroll and if they are the right guys, that would be enough to contend. I actually think that will happen.

Do I believe they'll get the right guys? Eh, not exactly. We'll see. Neal has made a lot of moves that will either amount to nothing or make him look like a genius. He clearly went for guys he loved and the hell with what everyone else thinks. Not sure that's the best way to do business, but we shall see.
CRIM

#36 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

I do believe that the Nutting will pony up sizable cash

Many many past actions point to no they won't. While absolutely zero past actions point to yes they will.
Utah, get me two.

#37 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (bucc-o-pain @ Jan 25 2010, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many many past actions point to no they won't. While absolutely zero past actions point to yes they will.

Again, I disagree. They spent money to build a new minor league facility. They have been amongst the tops in major league baseball in the draft the last two years. Not saying they shouldn't have spent more money - not signing Sano was an error, although I don't believe that was a money issue.

It's just like DJF said, the opportunity hasn't presented itself for them to spend big bucks. They aren't ever going to be the Red Sox, obviously.

I will take Robert Nutting at his word. He's clearly a very different creature than Kevro as he's show some business acumen prior to taking charge of the club so I'm willing to place some trust in him. But I'll be the first person to throw them under the bus if they make a pure salary dump that hurts our competitiveness once - IF - we start moving towards the championships.
CRIM

#38 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (CRIMHEAD @ Jan 26 2010, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, I disagree. They spent money to build a new minor league facility. They have been amongst the tops in major league baseball in the draft the last two years. Not saying they shouldn't have spent more money - not signing Sano was an error, although I don't believe that was a money issue.

It's just like DJF said, the opportunity hasn't presented itself for them to spend big bucks. They aren't ever going to be the Red Sox, obviously.

I will take Robert Nutting at his word. He's clearly a very different creature than Kevro as he's show some business acumen prior to taking charge of the club so I'm willing to place some trust in him. But I'll be the first person to throw them under the bus if they make a pure salary dump that hurts our competitiveness once - IF - we start moving towards the championships.

I see your point. I disagree with it, but I get where you are coming from. Let me ask you this: Is there a time limit on how long you will buy into RN at his word? When will the "when/if" plan run its course even without the team moving towards the championships? It seems to me that he can use this excuse (my word, certainly not yours) as long as he continues to put sub par teams on the field. So if that is the case, what is his motivation to actually win when all it will do is eat into profits? I say this becasue I am not sure a winning team will generate more profit than the current clunkers even if attendance and such increase.
Utah, get me two.

#39 User is offline   cbh 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (bucc-o-pain @ Jan 26 2010, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see your point. I disagree with it, but I get where you are coming from. Let me ask you this: Is there a time limit on how long you will buy into RN at his word? When will the "when/if" plan run its course even without the team moving towards the championships? It seems to me that he can use this excuse (my word, certainly not yours) as long as he continues to put sub par teams on the field. So if that is the case, what is his motivation to actually win when all it will do is eat into profits? I say this becasue I am not sure a winning team will generate more profit than the current clunkers even if attendance and such increase.

I know you posed this question to Crim but I think this is an interesting question.

For me it would be IF Alvarez turns into a super-duper star and stays at 3B and Nutting lets him walk, THAT'S when I would completely lose faith in this organization. Granted that's a pretty long time away, but who was the last player who even had that kind of potential talent? Bonds?

If Nutting is being truthful when he says that he'd be willing to put up a $75 million payroll, then with Alvarez we'd be in pretty much the same fiscal territory as St. Louis. If they managed to compete this far with only one true elite player and that payroll then we have no excuse not to (and before the idiots chime in I'm NOT comparing Alvarez to Pujols).
If I dared your son to do something, he'd be DEAD. I wouldn't do a wimpy dare, like "read a short story quickly". I'd have a real dare, like EAT A BAG OF FIRE!!!!"

#40 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (cbh @ Jan 26 2010, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know you posed this question to Crim but I think this is an interesting question.

For me it would be IF Alvarez turns into a super-duper star and stays at 3B and Nutting lets him walk, THAT'S when I would completely lose faith in this organization. Granted that's a pretty long time away, but who was the last player who even had that kind of potential talent? Bonds?

If Nutting is being truthful when he says that he'd be willing to put up a $75 million payroll, then with Alvarez we'd be in pretty much the same fiscal territory as St. Louis. If they managed to compete this far with only one true elite player and that payroll then we have no excuse not to (and before the idiots chime in I'm NOT comparing Alvarez to Pujols).

So you are willing to give RN 6 more years before holding him to his words? At that point won't the 75 million dollar committment be that much less impressive?

If I already didn't think he was a straight criminal, I would give him until the offseason following the 2012 season at the longest. At some point he needs to spend some money to bring in a couple horses period.
Utah, get me two.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply