• « First

Defending Tony Sanchez

#201 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (sloshyj @ Jun 26 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, I guess everyone here is smarter than the Pittsburgh Sports Weekly? I think not...

I laughed, I'll admit it. But you might want to match-up the name of the mock newspaper with your description.

#202 User is offline   SyrBucco 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

I agree with everyone here who thinks that it is quite likely that we overpaid for Tony Sanchez. But I am all done bitching about it. The Bucs signed a #1 draft choice who looks like a bit of a sleeper to me, and they prolly paid somewhere between 500K-900K more than they "should" have, or could have.

Is their any benefit to this relatively modest overpay? Yes. NH can be trusted to keep his word if he ever makes another pre-arranged deal with a guy (and that appears to have been true with Sanchez) to pay slot for a #1 pick. That's got to be worth something, and I hope that we have a similar experience, at a much higher numbered pick position, next year.

Why do these negotiations always have to be acrimonious and adversarial? Can there still be what we used to call "bargaining in good faith"?

Yielding the point, as NH himself has basically done, that Sanchez was an overdraft at #4, yet realizing he's the guy you want and he won't be around at #46, what the fuck is a GM supposed to do? You can't do what the Steelers have done and trade down. So you take some other less-than-optimal choice. By the way, this does not explain any of the other mysterious Day 1 choices: I'm with Longhorn there - couldn't figure them out based upon what I had read about the guys on "the list".

And why can't we all just get along? Namecalling doesn't help this board.
Cocksuckers.
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply