Pittsburgh Pirates: Hillary Clinton for President - Pittsburgh Pirates

Jump to content

  • 641 Pages +
  • « First
  • 639
  • 640
  • 641
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hillary Clinton for President Rate Topic: -----

#12801 User is online   tobaccoroad 

  • H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,625
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Flemington, NJ
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted Today, 10:54 AM

View PostECBucs, on 23 May 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

actually it isn't redundant. Alabama has delegated almost everything environmentally related to the Federal EPA. Alabama spends almost zero on the environment. While Alabama may be unusual in this regard it is probably not unique.

ADEM's budget woes continue

LeFleur said handing the response over to EPA was the result of continuing state budget cuts to his department, which have been cut dramatically since 2008, when the department received $6 million from the general fund.

ADEM's operating budget comes from a combination of three sources: state appropriations; federal grants, largely from EPA; and permit fees or other charges assessed to the industries that the department regulates.

In fiscal year 2016, the department got just $280,000 in state funds and had to transfer $1.2 million to the general fund from permit fees the department collected. The $280,000 they did receive was all earmarked for the state's Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) program, and does not cover the cost of that program.

In effect, the amount the department received from the state want from $6 million to negative $1 million in eight years.

With federal funding basically level and state appropriations, the Commission voted to increase permit fees by 20 percent across the board in December.

Next year's budget is looking slightly better for the department. According to the general fund budget passed in April over Gov. Robert Bentley's veto, the department will receive $400,000 in appropriations, earmarked for the CAFO program, but will not have to transfer money to the general fund.




http://www.al.com/ne..._costs_but.html



Well then guess what little ol' Alabama will have to start spending some of their own money on then.

Shoes
0

#12802 User is online   jcharding 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08

Posted Today, 10:58 AM

ECBucs post got me thinking and Googling. From what I can tell one of the biggest, if not the biggest, cut to the EPA is..... grants to states! Which, pursuant to multiple sources, would screw the states and create immense state level funding shortfalls! Which sounds a hell of a lot like Trumpcare's plans.

In both cases, the plan if implemented actually makes the Federal Government have an even more dominant role at the cost of torching state government through cuts to funds going to the states.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.
0

#12803 User is offline   Sloshy 

  • Altoona Curve
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 232
  • Joined: 26-November 16

Posted Today, 11:56 AM

We actually need higher taxes. It's the only way.
0

#12804 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,354
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 12:04 PM

 Sloshy, on 23 May 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

We actually need higher taxes. It's the only way.


But you don't think the taxing of wealth being passed from generation to generation is what is ruining our country?
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#12805 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 32,765
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 12:11 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 May 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

But you don't think the taxing of wealth being passed from generation to generation is what is ruining our country?

http://www.cbpp.org/...eral-estate-tax
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#12806 User is offline   Sloshy 

  • Altoona Curve
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 232
  • Joined: 26-November 16

Posted Today, 12:12 PM

 PSU4Lyfe, on 23 May 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

But you don't think the taxing of wealth being passed from generation to generation is what is ruining our country?

Not at all. What is ruining the country is the lack of gratitude those with wealth have for their station, which was only possible because of the American economy. Even if inherited. The balance of cultures, the general sense of safety, the lack of cruelty as a norm... this stability makes it possible for people to make fortunes. To feel somehow that you shouldn't pay into the system in equal measure for how it has allowed you to prosper is pathetic, and it's pathetic at every income level, no matter your net worth or gross revenue last year. You are paying much, much less than you owe. There are no self-made men, only individuals who figured out how to use competitive advantages that were only feasible in this economy, within a social framework that requires stability.

The federal debt is absorbing American selfishness. We should all pay roughly 5-10% more in taxes. A tax break?! What bullshit.
0

#12807 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,354
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 12:19 PM

 Sloshy, on 23 May 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Not at all. What is ruining the country is the lack of gratitude those with wealth have for their station, which was only possible because of the American economy. Even if inherited. The balance of cultures, the general sense of safety, the lack of cruelty as a norm... this stability makes it possible for people to make fortunes. To feel somehow that you shouldn't pay into the system in equal measure for how it has allowed you to prosper is pathetic, and it's pathetic at every income level, no matter your net worth or gross revenue last year. You are paying much, much less than you owe. There are no self-made men, only individuals who figured out how to use competitive advantages that were only feasible in this economy, within a social framework that requires stability.

The federal debt is absorbing American selfishness. We should all pay roughly 5-10% more in taxes. A tax break?! What bullshit.


Hmm I dunno. Not being able to pass on wealth to your kids for free is definitely holding back the economy.

Probably more so than price gouging in higher education that has sunk an entire generation in to crippling debt.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#12808 User is online   jcharding 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08

Posted Today, 12:24 PM

When if ever in the history of the United States or English common law has passing on wealth for free to your kids happened? I ask in all seriousness. It feels like a ridiculous argument that someone made up and has been repeated so much it's taken on a life of its own.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.
0

#12809 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,354
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 12:25 PM

 jcharding, on 23 May 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

When if ever in the history of the United States or English common law has passing on wealth for free to your kids happened? I ask in all seriousness. It feels like a ridiculous argument that someone made up and has been repeated so much it's taken on a life of its own.


There are many MANY people that rail against inheritance or estate taxes. I'm quite obviously making fun of them. Because they're dumb and entitled
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
1

#12810 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 32,765
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 12:28 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 May 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

There are many MANY people that rail against inheritance or estate taxes. I'm quite obviously making fun of them. Because they're dumb and entitled

The estate tax applies just .2% of the population. The exemption is $5.4M. People who have to pay this tax are not suffering for it.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#12811 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,354
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 12:39 PM

 GoBucs21, on 23 May 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

The estate tax applies just .2% of the population. The exemption is $5.4M. People who have to pay this tax are not suffering for it.


Try to tell them that
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#12812 User is offline   ECBucs 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,250
  • Joined: 21-November 08

Posted Today, 01:51 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 23 May 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Well then guess what little ol' Alabama will have to start spending some of their own money on then.

Shoes


I think a lot of states will need to pay more to keep anything close to same services as now. However, most states won't do that so services will fall. Instead of prevention, America as a whole, will end up spending more on cleaning up messes that were avoidable and at a greater final cost.
2

#12813 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,354
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 02:06 PM

Already great stories are coming in with the gutting of Medicaid

Quote

Forty-three percent of Minnesota kids are covered by Medicaid. The nursing home care of half the seniors in the country is only possible through Medicaid. I hear stories every day like the one from Emily from Edina. Emily's dad worked his way through college and for decades teaching high school. He saved diligently, but the combination of leukemia, Parkinson's disease and dementia has meant that he needs full-time nursing home care costing more than $11,000 per month. His savings are long spent. As Emily raises her own young family, Medicaid is the only way her family is able to afford the care her father needs.


Get a job buddy. Your Health ain't our problem. BUT! We did budget for a wall

Quote

Trump has promised a wall on the southern U.S. border that Mexico will eventually pay for, and the budget includes $2.6 billion in 2018 – $1.6 billion for “new and replacement border wall’’ in certain locations and about $1 billion for other items including aircraft, equipment and surveillance technology to deter illegal activity. Trump estimates the wall will cost $8 billion to $12 billion, but most experts say it will likely be more expensive. (dealmaker)


Merica baby.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#12814 User is offline   Sloshy 

  • Altoona Curve
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 232
  • Joined: 26-November 16

Posted Today, 02:34 PM

View PostECBucs, on 23 May 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

I think a lot of states will need to pay more to keep anything close to same services as now. However, most states won't do that so services will fall. Instead of prevention, America as a whole, will end up spending more on cleaning up messes that were avoidable and at a greater final cost.

Bingo. But those expenses are in another year's budget, so who gives a shit. Our politicians can't see beyond the current fiscal year, and its a problem that is bankrupting our government and letting us fall significantly behind other western countries.
0

#12815 User is online   jcharding 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,748
  • Joined: 17-November 08

Posted Today, 02:47 PM

There is this perception that Medicaid is full of "able bodied" adults. The reality is that nationally Medicaid is 48% kids; 9% aged; 15% disabled; and 27% adults. Of those groups, children have the smallest per person spend at $2,492 per, adults at $4,141 per, aged $17,522 per and disabled at $18,518 per.

So when people scream about able bodied adults sucking up Medicaid dollars they are probably full of shit. There aren't all that many and they don't cost all that much. Particularly when compared to employer based insurance - where on average an employer spends $4,708 and the individual contributes $1,255. Yes, you read that right, Medicaid costs less than employer based insurance on a per person basis. That is particularly awesome when you consider that Medicaid users tend to be sicker and less healthy than the average American. Oh, and did I mention that the "adult" group includes pregnant women? So people want to cut a relatively small group, that doesn't cost very much, which costs less than private employer based insurance, and includes a healthy amount of pregnant women? Yeah, that's good policy. Ugh.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.
0

#12816 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 32,765
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 02:48 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 May 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

Already great stories are coming in with the gutting of Medicaid



Get a job buddy. Your Health ain't our problem. BUT! We did budget for a wall



Merica baby.

Republican health care plan:
If you can afford it, you can have it. If you can't, then die quickly and decrease the high risk pool population.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#12817 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,354
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 02:58 PM

 jcharding, on 23 May 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

There is this perception that Medicaid is full of "able bodied" adults. The reality is that nationally Medicaid is 48% kids; 9% aged; 15% disabled; and 27% adults. Of those groups, children have the smallest per person spend at $2,492 per, adults at $4,141 per, aged $17,522 per and disabled at $18,518 per.

So when people scream about able bodied adults sucking up Medicaid dollars they are probably full of shit. There aren't all that many and they don't cost all that much. Particularly when compared to employer based insurance - where on average an employer spends $4,708 and the individual contributes $1,255. Yes, you read that right, Medicaid costs less than employer based insurance on a per person basis. That is particularly awesome when you consider that Medicaid users tend to be sicker and less healthy than the average American. Oh, and did I mention that the "adult" group includes pregnant women? So people want to cut a relatively small group, that doesn't cost very much, which costs less than private employer based insurance, and includes a healthy amount of pregnant women? Yeah, that's good policy. Ugh.


The narrative is an easy and divisive one though. Find a few people that abuse the program and you can get huge support for removing it. Nobody stops to think that we've paid more in cart fees this year for the President than it would cost to give a poor child health care. We're putting up the First Famiy in 3 homes, and people are drooling at the idea of cutting spending on health care.

It's insane.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#12818 User is offline   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 32,765
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 03:00 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 23 May 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

The narrative is an easy and divisive one though. Find a few people that abuse the program and you can get huge support for removing it. Nobody stops to think that we've paid more in cart fees this year for the President than it would cost to give a poor child health care. We're putting up the First Famiy in 3 homes, and people are drooling at the idea of cutting spending on health care.

It's insane.

Four. The White House, Mar-a-lago, the NYC apartment, and the New Jersey home.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

Share this topic:


  • 641 Pages +
  • « First
  • 639
  • 640
  • 641
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic