Pittsburgh Pirates: Random technology thread - Pittsburgh Pirates

Jump to content

  • 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Random technology thread Rate Topic: -----

#441 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,109
  • Joined: 19-April 16

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 24 April 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

woah, it's not like Uber's future is in jeopardy at all. They are still bringing in a shitton of revenue. The reason for losses are future investments and resolving court costs from their aggressive start up period (and that harassment stuff). If they were at real risk they could easily cut development projects and coast on revenue.


Analysts have their losses at over 100% of their net revenue. I do not understand how a company can be that out of control with its spending, even as a startup.
0

#442 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 24 April 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Analysts have their losses at over 100% of their net revenue. I do not understand how a company can be that out of control with its spending, even as a startup.


Uber bet big on global scale as well, which was part of the reason their cash burn was higher than their rivals and why they still haven't projected a profit. On top of them losing a high level exec every 3 days or so for the last 2 months, their Chinese rival Didi Chuxing just raised $5.5B in a round that valued them at about $50B. The Asian market was a huge bet for Uber and they eventually sold their Chinese business to Didi. Uber was valued at $68B back in August before many of their latest struggles. Uber can only light cash on fire for so long. They could gamble and go IPO but they would most likely get crushed in that process.

Meanwhile Lyft is still on track to turn a profit this year while focusing on the US market and customer service.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
1

#443 User is offline   Sloshy 

  • Steve Pearce
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 398
  • Joined: 26-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:07 AM

I'm just getting back from London and Uber was awesome. Wait times of less than two minutes. Never had to handle money or even talk to the driver.

Ever since we had a close call with a checkpoint near our house, I've been taking Uber out whenever we plan to drink. But the whole ride sharing app movement is amazing for holiday travel.
0

#444 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

As Google takes Uber to court for stealing trade secrets, which is of note as Google has had a policy of not suing employees who leave their company because it stifles innovation, Google's self driving tech department Waymo has partnered with Lyft to develop self driving tech. The lawsuit Google is filing against Uber is that they stole the secrets for Waymo by plucking an employee from Google. Google throwing their support behind Lyft is a pretty big development

Uber continues to take blow after blow. It is almost impossible to keep up with all of their VP and above employees that leave the company.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#445 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,109
  • Joined: 19-April 16

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 16 May 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

As Google takes Uber to court for stealing trade secrets, which is of note as Google has had a policy of not suing employees who leave their company because it stifles innovation, Google's self driving tech department Waymo has partnered with Lyft to develop self driving tech. The lawsuit Google is filing against Uber is that they stole the secrets for Waymo by plucking an employee from Google. Google throwing their support behind Lyft is a pretty big development

Uber continues to take blow after blow. It is almost impossible to keep up with all of their VP and above employees that leave the company.


That is interesting, and agree a big boost for Lyft. Funny, Uber is the generic way of refering to a ride sharing service, and they might not last much longer.
0

#446 User is online   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 16 May 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

As Google takes Uber to court for stealing trade secrets, which is of note as Google has had a policy of not suing employees who leave their company because it stifles innovation, Google's self driving tech department Waymo has partnered with Lyft to develop self driving tech. The lawsuit Google is filing against Uber is that they stole the secrets for Waymo by plucking an employee from Google. Google throwing their support behind Lyft is a pretty big development

Uber continues to take blow after blow. It is almost impossible to keep up with all of their VP and above employees that leave the company.


I thought the initial ruling was considered fairly favorable* to Uber. They have to return documents but they can still use and develop the lidar technology. There can be a further case against Levandowski but it's not clear if it will be pursued**.



*Waymo sought to shut down Uber’s Lidar research that it says uses Waymo files and patented technology until the dispute is settled. But Alsup determined that Waymo’s patent infringement theories were too weak to support such an order. The judge ruled that although it’s hard to imagine that Levandowski “plundered Waymo’s vault the way he did” with no intent to use the material, Waymo still fell short of showing that the trade secrets were used.

**He clearly believes that Levandowski is guilty as sin and that Uber hired him, knowing this full well,” said John Coffee, a Columbia University law professor who specializes in white-collar crime and corporate governance. “He is ruling that some of this information is stolen (or “misappropriated”) and in the long run that will likely have a devastating impact on Uber.”



still, there is no way that Uber fails. It is still the go to ride sharing service, it has heavily invested in future tech, and it is still expanding into new markets and venues (food delivery).
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#447 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 16 May 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

I thought the initial ruling was considered fairly favorable* to Uber. They have to return documents but they can still use and develop the lidar technology. There can be a further case against Levandowski but it's not clear if it will be pursued**.



*Waymo sought to shut down Uber’s Lidar research that it says uses Waymo files and patented technology until the dispute is settled. But Alsup determined that Waymo’s patent infringement theories were too weak to support such an order. The judge ruled that although it’s hard to imagine that Levandowski “plundered Waymo’s vault the way he did” with no intent to use the material, Waymo still fell short of showing that the trade secrets were used.

**He clearly believes that Levandowski is guilty as sin and that Uber hired him, knowing this full well,” said John Coffee, a Columbia University law professor who specializes in white-collar crime and corporate governance. “He is ruling that some of this information is stolen (or “misappropriated”) and in the long run that will likely have a devastating impact on Uber.”



still, there is no way that Uber fails. It is still the go to ride sharing service, it has heavily invested in future tech, and it is still expanding into new markets and venues (food delivery).


Uber still doesn't have a profit on its proformas and Google just partnered with Lyft, who does expect to become profitable this year. It will be interesting to see how patient PE firms are with Kalanick through all of this. Food delivery is becoming a crowded space as well.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#448 User is offline   ECBucs 

  • Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,367
  • Joined: 21-November 08

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

just in case Winter didn't know this:

http://www.globalpos...rom-this-world/


A new study has led researchers to conclude that Octopuses (NOT Octopi) have Alien DNA. Their genome shows a never-before-seen level of complexity with a staggering 33,000 protein-coding genes identified, more than in a human being.

1

#449 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,276
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostECBucs, on 18 May 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

just in case Winter didn't know this:

http://www.globalpos...rom-this-world/


A new study has led researchers to conclude that Octopuses (NOT Octopi) have Alien DNA. Their genome shows a never-before-seen level of complexity with a staggering 33,000 protein-coding genes identified, more than in a human being.


I did not know that, and that is awesome. Thank you for thinking of me.

I think one of the reasons it is so difficult for evolutionary biologists to fill in the gaps is because so many different life forms have some from space at so many different times.

Even if you don't believe in the Ancient Aliens idea at all, even on a cellular level, we are finding that these extremophiles are hardy as hell. They've done experiments (both intentional and accidental) in which some bacteria are able to survive on the outside of the ISS for months at a time. And keep in mind, that's...

1. vacuum
2. pure solar radiation with no atmospheric shielding
3. extreme cold AND extreme heat


Life is hardly as hell, and it comes from all over the place We are basically a zoo of a planet.
0

#450 User is online   oblongatta 

  • Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 17-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a bar
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

The new Amazon Echo Silver:

You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.
0

#451 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

Uber's year in a brief timeline

https://pitchbook.co...year-a-timeline
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#452 User is offline   jcharding 

  • Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,292
  • Joined: 17-November 08

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

I'm not a big watch person, but I like a semi-nice watch and as my wife nicely reminded me I can't really wear traditional watches if I go with an Apple Watch. Anyway I bought a Filson/Shinola watch last week, and I really enjoy both the watch and the Shinola backstory. It also helped that instead of paying $800 at Nordstrom for it I only paid $240 via SteepandCheap (and from what I can tell Shinola watches are rarely on sale).

The classic looks that Shinola favors are really nice looking, and I am buying the whole Assembled in Detroit vibe. Yes, I know its a quartz watch, and I don't care. Yes I know that many parts are sources from overseas (because Swiss parts are bad?!!), and I also don't care. I haven't decided if I like the Filson cobranding yet. The strap (which is US made) and casing are both really nice.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.
0

#453 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 31 May 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

Uber's year in a brief timeline

https://pitchbook.co...year-a-timeline


Add Gautam Gupta, Uber's head of finance, to the list of departures. However they are claiming Q1 losses(not including employee stock compensation) is down to $708M from $991M in Q4-16.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#454 User is online   GoBucs21 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33,751
  • Joined: 10-December 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 01 June 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

Add Gautam Gupta, Uber's head of finance, to the list of departures. However they are claiming Q1 losses(not including employee stock compensation) is down to $708M from $991M in Q4-16.

Decreasing losses is still a long way from profitability.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.
0

#455 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,276
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

View Postjcharding, on 31 May 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

I'm not a big watch person, but I like a semi-nice watch and as my wife nicely reminded me I can't really wear traditional watches if I go with an Apple Watch. Anyway I bought a Filson/Shinola watch last week, and I really enjoy both the watch and the Shinola backstory. It also helped that instead of paying $800 at Nordstrom for it I only paid $240 via SteepandCheap (and from what I can tell Shinola watches are rarely on sale).

The classic looks that Shinola favors are really nice looking, and I am buying the whole Assembled in Detroit vibe. Yes, I know its a quartz watch, and I don't care. Yes I know that many parts are sources from overseas (because Swiss parts are bad?!!), and I also don't care. I haven't decided if I like the Filson cobranding yet. The strap (which is US made) and casing are both really nice.


That's sweet. I love a good watch post.

I've never spent a ton on them. I like to be "above the Timex you'd buy at JC Penny's" but well below "somebody might rob me for this."

After a string of terrible experiences with a Lumi-Nox Navy Seals watch, I settled on a Citizen Ecodrive, and like it quite a lot. Its been durable, and the solar cell face makes it so that I never have to replace the batteries on it. I bought one for my wife years ago, and hers has been great as well.

Plus, it's right in that $150-200 price point where it's not ridiculous, but it isn't junk either. #winning
0

#456 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 01 June 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Decreasing losses is still a long way from profitability.


This will be a very interesting year for Uber. I still believe Lyft's model of an actual driver mentor/training program and not lowering their car standards to be a better bet than rapid worldwide expansion and lowering standards. But Uber still claims they have a massive war chest and PE firms have yet to remove Kalanick so they must like something about what's going on. That cash burn rate is just still so huge.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#457 User is offline   donwengert4life 

  • Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10,740
  • Joined: 16-November 08

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 01 June 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

That's sweet. I love a good watch post.

I've never spent a ton on them. I like to be "above the Timex you'd buy at JC Penny's" but well below "somebody might rob me for this."

After a string of terrible experiences with a Lumi-Nox Navy Seals watch, I settled on a Citizen Ecodrive, and like it quite a lot. Its been durable, and the solar cell face makes it so that I never have to replace the batteries on it. I bought one for my wife years ago, and hers has been great as well.

Plus, it's right in that $150-200 price point where it's not ridiculous, but it isn't junk either. #winning


I love my EcoDrive

I would really like to buy a Shinola but I don't wear watches enough to make it worth the investment. They are great looking watches, though.
0

#458 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

Along with a few more high level execs leaving Uber, it is expected that Travis Kalanick their CEO will take a leave of absence.

They also fired ~20 employees for sexual assault last week.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

#459 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

  • TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,276
  • Joined: 15-November 16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 13 June 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

Along with a few more high level execs leaving Uber, it is expected that Travis Kalanick their CEO will take a leave of absence.

They also fired ~20 employees for sexual assault last week.


PSU, do you work for Uber, or a competitor?

You seem to know an unusually large amount about it for a member of the public.
0

#460 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

  • Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42,987
  • Joined: 16-November 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 13 June 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

PSU, do you work for Uber, or a competitor?

You seem to know an unusually large amount about it for a member of the public.


No I don't work for them, I get an email newsletter called Pitchbook sent to my work email because it's helpful for me to stay informed on M&As and PE/VC firm moves. They have an Uber update almost daily. I have found the Uber/Lyft battle fascinating though. Uber specifically because of their insane valuations and trajectory. They have created a brand extremely quickly (I.e. "Take an Uber") but have had a ton of other struggles. It will either be one of the greatest success stories or one of the most colossal failures of our time.

I just can't wait for the books and documentaries.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.
0

Share this topic:


  • 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic