Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

Super snickers bars. 1 lb.

#23 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

That Phillips lightbulb isn't the only one. I'd shop around.

http://www.kickstart...bu?ref=category

http://www.kickstart...ed?ref=category
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#24 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Postcogitobsw, on 17 May 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

One slight problem I'd have to deal with (and I'm seriously thinking about getting this) is that the bulbs in my recessed lighting are very short. It seems these bulbs would stick out of the housings a couple of inches. Not a huge deal, but it might look like mushrooms growing out of my ceiling. Even at $1,000.00, it could be a slightly affordable toy when you factor in costs of replacing lightbulbs, and the energy efficiency. My current lights blow out about twice a year it seems, and they cost a couple bucks each. Plus they're extremely hot. Not sure if the cooling savings would be noticeable, but it's a "selling point" I can use in my effort to justify.

why do you want tall lightbulbs to fail?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#25 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

As oblongatta mentioned the other day, the "smart" house is becoming pretty possible. Has anyone seen Nest the learning thermostat. It is basically the Philips Hue for your home environment. Also kind of cool are all the sensors being created like Twine. Twine communicates information from its sensors to your computer and can then send information to you directly. A lot of it is pretty basic and dumb right now but once the sensors become cheaper I'm sure that there will be thousands of people coming up with new ways to use these sensors on just about everything in your house.

#26 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

I bought a grill on Saturday that has that cooks with infrared radiation. I have no idea what exactly it does but every review and person that I asked raved about it. So I'm eager to try it out.

Luckily it was on sale and its just the right size for my patio. Still haven't tried it thanks to the rain and storms this week.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#27 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 19 May 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

As oblongatta mentioned the other day, the "smart" house is becoming pretty possible. Has anyone seen Nest the learning thermostat. It is basically the Philips Hue for your home environment. Also kind of cool are all the sensors being created like Twine. Twine communicates information from its sensors to your computer and can then send information to you directly. A lot of it is pretty basic and dumb right now but once the sensors become cheaper I'm sure that there will be thousands of people coming up with new ways to use these sensors on just about everything in your house.

I thought about one of the Nest thermostats but it didn't support our heat/air system. We ended up getting a programmable Honeywell one that was easy to install, supported our system, and has an internet connection so that I can change the temperature from anywhere.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#28 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postjcharding, on 20 May 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

I thought about one of the Nest thermostats but it didn't support our heat/air system. We ended up getting a programmable Honeywell one that was easy to install, supported our system, and has an internet connection so that I can change the temperature from anywhere.

How has it been? Has there really been a noticeable drop in your heating and cooling costs? Do you find yourself changing the temperature from your smart phone? Does the Honeywell one "learn" how you use your thermostat and adjust? I'm in no position to buy one as I'm a mere lowly renter but I'm curious.

#29 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

The Honeywell isn't a learning thermostat - which is why the Nest is so cool (plus it looks cool). The Honeywell thermostat is simply a touchscreen programmable thermostat with internet connectivity. Thus far I haven't used the remote functions much of all, and since the wife hasn't been complaining about the electricity bill at all(she pays the juice and such, I pay the DirecTV and internet and such) I presume the bill has gone down. Whether that is due to the thermostat or milder weather since I installed the thermostat 6 months ago is hard to tell. The thermostat definitely doesn't constantly cycle the system on and off as it vainly struggles to keep the assigned temp anymore, and having the preset schedule to ensure that temps during work, sleeping, etc... aren't as taxing on the system also has to have an effect as well. So subjectively I've been pretty pleased.

Installation was pretty straightforward. Turn off the power to the heat/AC system (although I don't know if that is necessarily the correct breaker for every system), take off the faceplate to the old thermostat, label the 8 or so wires, disconnect them, take off the baseplate, install new baseplate with screwdriver, reattach labeled wires to correct terminals, install new thermostat (it essentially clips on to the baseplate), go through the basic setup (which includes setting up the internet connection), and you are good to go. Programming it is also just as easy.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#30 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

If you live your life so predictable, why not a standard 7-5-2 programmable thermostat ?

Whats the point of remote programming ? Because your cat texted you that it was too cold ?

#31 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

View Postdefdog, on 20 May 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

If you live your life so predictable, why not a standard 7-5-2 programmable thermostat ?

Whats the point of remote programming ? Because your cat texted you that it was too cold ?

My life is not predictable. I override the program on a regular basis. I just haven't needed the remote function much to do those overrides, and had you read my responses you would have noted that the mild weather has substantially affected its use - namely the system has been off completely during most of the last 6 weeks. Add on top of that the mild winter, and you have conditions that haven't exactly prompted pushing the envelope. Remote programmability also wasn't the driving force behind buying it - but spending an extra $10 to get it seemed like a worthwhile idea.

And the cats can't text, they only like to use the Wii.

#32 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Looks like I'm getting Nest. Thanks CIA, hadn't heard of it before this topic.

I was skeptical that it would work with my old heating/cooling system. My wife's prior attempts to instal a programmable thermostat were unsuccessful due to compatibility issues. I figured a new fangled system like Nest would be likewise incompatible, but I emailed them a photo of my thermostat, and they were able to confirm that Nest would work with our system.

Although I probably won't reap many of the benefits until winter. I'm mostly an open windows type of guy during the summer. We use a window unit in our bedroom, but the rest of the house is typically un-cooled. I think I ran the central air for a total of about one or two weeks last summer.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#33 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Electricity is cheap. It's gas that'll rob you.

#34 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Off topic but I think it's as good a thread as any to pose this question: is there a responsible place to take my old electronics to be recycled or disposed of properly in Pittsburgh? I have old VCRs, televisions, DVD players, phones, stereos, computer towers, and tons of cords and such. I'm not looking for money or anything, just proper disposal.
Utah, get me two.

#35 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

BestBuy. You give them $12 and they take your electronics. Then give you a $12 gift card.
aka free.

They don't take old fashioned wood console tvs though.

#36 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

View Postdefdog, on 28 May 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

BestBuy. You give them $12 and they take your electronics. Then give you a $12 gift card.
aka free.

They don't take old fashioned wood console tvs though.

yeah, call and check. some things they take for free and some you'll actually get like $5 or $10 in best buy money.

check at any local universities too. Some have recycling centers, though typically for the university community it might have a drop box where you won't be checked. Beyond that some municipalities will have an electronic recycling day just call them and ask.

On a somewhat related note, any time you have scrap metal you should check for a local scrap metal yard. You don't get paid much and you have to take the junk there, but usually you get back gas money in what they pay. I've filled up my truck a couple times with old metal and taken it there rather than hoping the garbage guys would take it.
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#37 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 28 May 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

yeah, call and check. some things they take for free and some you'll actually get like $5 or $10 in best buy money.

check at any local universities too. Some have recycling centers, though typically for the university community it might have a drop box where you won't be checked. Beyond that some municipalities will have an electronic recycling day just call them and ask.

On a somewhat related note, any time you have scrap metal you should check for a local scrap metal yard. You don't get paid much and you have to take the junk there, but usually you get back gas money in what they pay. I've filled up my truck a couple times with old metal and taken it there rather than hoping the garbage guys would take it.

We've had good luck at Best Buy for older smaller tvs (think ones that had a dial) and computers. This is for smaller stuff:

http://gigaom.com/20...e-waste-kiosks/

#38 Guest_Nickflair04_*

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

I took an old tube TV to Best Buy about 6 months ago. Didn't get any Best Buy gift cards like others are saying, but they got rid of it, which was the most important thing.

#39 User is offline   hir51 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

I just get a roll off every couple of years and throw all my old shit in there. Fuck Mother Earth.

#40 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 28 May 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Looks like I'm getting Nest. Thanks CIA, hadn't heard of it before this topic.

I was skeptical that it would work with my old heating/cooling system. My wife's prior attempts to instal a programmable thermostat were unsuccessful due to compatibility issues. I figured a new fangled system like Nest would be likewise incompatible, but I emailed them a photo of my thermostat, and they were able to confirm that Nest would work with our system.

Although I probably won't reap many of the benefits until winter. I'm mostly an open windows type of guy during the summer. We use a window unit in our bedroom, but the rest of the house is typically un-cooled. I think I ran the central air for a total of about one or two weeks last summer.

Congrats! I'm excited to hear how it works.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic