• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Random technology thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

There are a few technology threads out there but all dedicated to a particular item (laptop, tablet, phone, TV, etc) and I wanted to get some discussion going here about all of it. Feel free to post about tablets or laptops or whatever else here.

Personally, I've been intrigued lately by the Philips Hue wireless LED lighting system. Has anyone seen or used this? If so what are your thoughts? It is a bit pricey but the bulbs last for 15 years they say, use less energy, and it just seems fun as hell.

#2 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

That's actually pretty slick. Alternative (cheaper) lighting is LONG overdue, and like energy, is likely a technology that's long been thwarted by lobbyists for Big Incandescent. The problem with LED is that historically it just hasn't been powerful enough, though lately with more sensitive camera sensors (higher ISO capability and better low light shooting) LED is making it's way into professional photography, both still and video. Lighting for photography has always been pretty damned expensive on the pro level, and still can be. Check out ProFoto strobe lighting for example.

Interesting that at the end of the video… "Available only in Apple stores."
Get it?

#3 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

They sell hue on amazon now that video is a bit outdated.

#4 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Technology today is amazing.

#5 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

If you're going to the trouble to set up a wireless remote controlled lighting system why wouldn't you convert the whole place to a smart house? The technology has been around for years, it's just a matter of how much cost (features and automation) you want to sink into it. I've been halfheartedly looking around for a fixer upper so I can strip a whole mess of it and install a fully automated system. Of course I'm going to have to take a year off to develop it all. In the meantime I've been collecting all the old thrown out computer parts I can find (and old wireless devices like 802.11b access points, there's no reason a light has to be have N speeds).
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#6 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

The system is really easy to set up actually. Just plug in the hub and screw in the light bulbs.

#7 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Can technology explain how this board works?

#8 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

View Postv2burghboy, on 16 May 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Can technology explain how this board works?

I'm sure someone could write an algorithm that would tell you.

#9 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Old people + new technology = instant fun

#10 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 16 May 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

They sell hue on amazon now that video is a bit outdated.

It appears to be third party from the Apple store, so more expensive. This looks really cool. I wonder if it'll work in my recessed lights?
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#11 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 16 May 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

It appears to be third party from the Apple store, so more expensive. This looks really cool. I wonder if it'll work in my recessed lights?

Reviews I've read basically say that it works in practically any lighting scheme that isn't covered.

#13 Guest_blurjose_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

I wanna get me one of these...

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 16 May 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Reviews I've read basically say that it works in practically any lighting scheme that isn't covered.

One slight problem I'd have to deal with (and I'm seriously thinking about getting this) is that the bulbs in my recessed lighting are very short. It seems these bulbs would stick out of the housings a couple of inches. Not a huge deal, but it might look like mushrooms growing out of my ceiling. Even at $1,000.00, it could be a slightly affordable toy when you factor in costs of replacing lightbulbs, and the energy efficiency. My current lights blow out about twice a year it seems, and they cost a couple bucks each. Plus they're extremely hot. Not sure if the cooling savings would be noticeable, but it's a "selling point" I can use in my effort to justify.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#15 User is offline   westpalmburgher 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Today, it's like 3D tv. Cool, but not worth it.

It's hundreds of dollars to setup just a few bulbs. And, think about how much you would actually use it after the novelty wears off(see 3D TV).

Unless you are hosting raves or swinger parties, it's not ready for prime time unless you make U's money.

#16 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

View Postwestpalmburgher, on 17 May 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Today, it's like 3D tv. Cool, but not worth it.

It's hundreds of dollars to setup just a few bulbs. And, think about how much you would actually use it after the novelty wears off(see 3D TV).

Unless you are hosting raves or swinger parties, it's not ready for prime time unless you make U's money.

My wife suffers from mild seasonal affective disorder, so I could totally justify it as something to help her get through the winters, and come off as a nice guy when I'm actually just buying a toy. She's been asking me to re-do the lighting in our living room for a couple of years now. We live in a row house built in 1905, so it's not easy to re-wire and would definitely require me hiring an electrician, etc. This could solve my problem for a lot less than I would have had to pay otherwise.

I'd also really like the feature of turning the lights on and off when you get home, and leave . . . it's weird, but I like walking into a house where the lights are already on.

And I do throw about 3 parties a year where lighting is used. I actually have a disco ball hanging above my dining room table where a chandelier would typically be. (though my parties are not of the swinger or rave variety, I typically have a DJ and on occasion a small acoustic band).
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#17 User is offline   westpalmburgher 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Ya, I can see this for a need such as the one you describe.

I want one bulb that I can use as a spotlight aimed right at my cock. I'll turn it on when I want sexy time. I think it'll work.

#18 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

View Postwestpalmburgher, on 17 May 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Ya, I can see this for a need such as the one you describe.

I want one bulb that I can use as a spotlight aimed right at my cock. I'll turn it on when I want sexy time. I think it'll work.

Oh I didn't notice that they made those in the tiny laser version.
Get it?

#19 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Good Random Technology ?

Got one of these. Everyone thinks its cool when they see it.

http://www.overstock...91/product.html

#20 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

View Postcogitobsw, on 17 May 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

My wife suffers from mild seasonal affective disorder, so I could totally justify it as something to help her get through the winters, and come off as a nice guy when I'm actually just buying a toy. She's been asking me to re-do the lighting in our living room for a couple of years now. We live in a row house built in 1905, so it's not easy to re-wire and would definitely require me hiring an electrician, etc. This could solve my problem for a lot less than I would have had to pay otherwise.

I'd also really like the feature of turning the lights on and off when you get home, and leave . . . it's weird, but I like walking into a house where the lights are already on.

And I do throw about 3 parties a year where lighting is used. I actually have a disco ball hanging above my dining room table where a chandelier would typically be. (though my parties are not of the swinger or rave variety, I typically have a DJ and on occasion a small acoustic band).

I was thinking about this in a similar way as far as SAD and lighting as the evening goes on, as dawn breaks as well as being able to turn the lights on before I get home, I hate coming home to a dark empty apartment. I have a few lighting schemes we use throughout the day and into evening but it is an annoyance. Also, my apartment was built as a large open room that they built walls for a bedroom in and the light switch for my bedroom is in the hallway, not in the bedroom itself which makes lighting at night very annoying. THis would fix that issue for me. It is more functional than a novelty in my case.

#21 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Postdefdog, on 17 May 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Good Random Technology ?

Got one of these. Everyone thinks its cool when they see it.

http://www.overstock...91/product.html

You spent $130.00 on a fucking garbage can?
Get it?

Share this topic:

• 34 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic