• You cannot reply to this topic

4/13/17 - Red Sox Makeup Chad Kuhl Time Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Grey 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:29 PM

They won't lose 100 games. They can't even do that right.
Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street

#62 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 13 April 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

Holy shit, did bestest leadoff hitter Frazier get thrown out trying to steal second with one out in the ninth as the tying run?

Granted bestest leadoff hitter Mercer weakly grounded into a likely double play after that, but still.

Their chances of stringing 3 hits together off of Kimbrel weren't great. He has a career 6.0 H/9. So, I don't blame Hurdle for green-lighting Frazier in the 9th inning. Hell, I'd have more pissed off if he'd stayed anchored at 1B, and gotten double played off the bases. And even as it was, there was a good chance Frazier would have been safe, if he'd have slid into 2nd a shade later and more aggressively. Sending Frazier was the right call, though.

That game was lost when Marte channeled his inner Jacob Brumfield on HanRam's fly ball in the bottom of the 8th.

#63 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

View PostGrey, on 13 April 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

Feel bad for Kuhl, he was really dealing out there today, and this fuckstick of an organization let him down.

+1

This is one of the things that really gets me about how little Neal Huntington did over the offseason. IF you're going to go with a young, relatively unproven rotation, okay. But then you better damn well jack up the bullpen, so they can spot these guys as early as the 6th inning a lot of nights, and close the door when they give a really good outing like Kuhl did yesterday afternoon.

Instead, all Neal did was give $11MM to a guy with ERA+ of:

...over the past 3 seasons, and then just threw a bunch of random shit against the wall. It was inexcusable.

By the way, can I at least get a little love now for saying that Daniel Hudson fucking blows? I was frankly shocked how ardently that signing was defended here over the past few months, despite all statistical evidence showing that this guy cannot play baseball effectively.

5.40 ERA, 77 ERA+ so far.

#64 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 14 April 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

+1

This is one of the things that really gets me about how little Neal Huntington did over the offseason. IF you're going to go with a young, relatively unproven rotation, okay. But then you better damn well jack up the bullpen, so they can spot these guys as early as the 6th inning a lot of nights, and close the door when they give a really good outing like Kuhl did yesterday afternoon.

Instead, all Neal did was give $11MM to a guy with ERA+ of:

...over the past 3 seasons, and then just threw a bunch of random shit against the wall. It was inexcusable.

By the way, can I at least get a little love now for saying that Daniel Hudson fucking blows? I was frankly shocked how ardently that signing was defended here over the past few months, despite all statistical evidence showing that this guy cannot play baseball effectively.

5.40 ERA, 77 ERA+ so far.

In some ways, this off season was more of a shitshow than last off season. Last off season, the team was coming off a 98 win season. One could argue that a lot of tinkering wasn't necessary. Of course, that doesn't excuse the major change of trading Walker for Niese.

This year is much different. They were coming off a 78 win season. To be competitive, they need to make changes that lead to about 10 more wins, just to be competitive for the WC. They did nothing to achieve that. This off season strategy was to make some cosmetic (like over paying for a sketchy reliever) changes, and hoping that other players would rebound from last year's performance and some rookies would become significant contributors. Hope is never a plan.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#65 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 13 April 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Easy. NCBuccofan told us this bullpen is going to be excellent.

I've also been told that it made perfect sense to pay Daniel Hudson $11MM for some reason.

I did not say it would be excellent, I said it would not be one of the worst in years. They have 4 solid pitchers, but I will concede you seem to be right about Hudson.

#66 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 13 April 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

Yeah that's what I was wondering mostly. If not, especially with how shaky your pen has been why not let him go another?

Hurdle'd

#67 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 13 April 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

That seems extreme

Extreme in these threads seems normal.

#68 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 14 April 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

In some ways, this off season was more of a shitshow than last off season. Last off season, the team was coming off a 98 win season. One could argue that a lot of tinkering wasn't necessary. Of course, that doesn't excuse the major change of trading Walker for Niese.

This year is much different. They were coming off a 78 win season. To be competitive, they need to make changes that lead to about 10 more wins, just to be competitive for the WC. They did nothing to achieve that. This off season strategy was to make some cosmetic (like over paying for a sketchy reliever) changes, and hoping that other players would rebound from last year's performance and some rookies would become significant contributors. Hope is never a plan.

Not only did they not make changes to lead to about 10 more wins, they knew about Kang and his 3 DUI's in early December. Their answer to that, Phil Gosselin. They HAD to know that Kang getting a visa was going to be difficult. The Pirates offseason was acquiring 2 old cars (Hudson and Nova).

#69 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostThunder, on 14 April 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

The Pirates offseason was acquiring 2 old cars (Nova).

Pun intended?

#70 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 14 April 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

Pun intended?

The whole pun was obviously intended since he included also Hudson, a prewar car manufacturer.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#71 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 14 April 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

The whole pun was obviously intended since he included also Hudson, a prewar car manufacturer.

Mercedes Ruehl. Harrison Ford. Dierks Bentley. Wait - did I miss a memo?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic