• You cannot reply to this topic

Official Penguins Off Season Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Grey 

• Bear Down Arizona
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

Allow me to start it out with this question: Would a trade involving the Flower, bring ANY of these defensemen to Pittsburgh?

1. Erik Karlsson, >2. Brent Burns, ">3. Victor Hedman, T ">4. Kevin Shattenkirk, ;">5. Roman Josi, . t;">7. Dustin Byfuglien, ;">8. Dougie Hamilton, ;">9. ) ">10. Zach Werenski, ;">11. Duncan Keith, C t;">12. Torey Krug, >13. Drew Doughty, ;">14. Rasmus Ristolainen, ">15. Shea Weber, ;">16. Alex Pietrangelo, STL ;">17. John Carlson, ;">1 ;">19. Mark Giordano, t;">20. Keith Yandle, ;">21. John Klingberg, ;">22. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, ;">23. Ryan McDonagh, NYR <br ;">24. Seth Jones, ">25. Ryan Suter, ;">26. Brady Skjei, ;">27. Colton Parayko, ;">28. Nick Leddy, "> ;">30. Justin Faulk, ;">31. Aaron Ekblad, FLA <br ;">32. Cam Fowler, ;">33. Shayne Gostisbehere, ;">34. Jake Gardiner, TOR <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">35. Oscar Klefbom, EDM <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">36. Andrei Markov, MTL (UFA) <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">37. Matt Dumba, MIN <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">38. Dion Phaneuf, OTT <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">39. Hampus Lindholm, ANA <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">40. Brent Seabrook, CHI <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">41. Jaccob Slavin, CAR <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">42. Sami Vatanen, ;">43. Ryan Ellis, N t;">44. Tyson Barrie, t;">45. Jared Spurgeon, it;">46. Dmitry Orlov, ;">47. Jacob Trouba, ;">48. Morgan Rielly, >49. Nikita Zaitsev, ">50. Ivan Provorov,
Heineken? Fuck that shit...Pabst Blue Ribbon!

#2 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

View PostGrey, on 14 June 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

Allow me to start it out with this question: Would a trade involving the Flower, bring ANY of these defensemen to Pittsburgh?

1. Erik Karlsson, >2. Brent Burns, ">3. Victor Hedman, T ">4. Kevin Shattenkirk, ;">5. Roman Josi, . t;">7. Dustin Byfuglien, ;">8. Dougie Hamilton, ;">9. ) ">10. Zach Werenski, ;">11. Duncan Keith, C t;">12. Torey Krug, >13. Drew Doughty, ;">14. Rasmus Ristolainen, ">15. Shea Weber, ;">16. Alex Pietrangelo, STL ;">17. John Carlson, ;">1 ;">19. Mark Giordano, t;">20. Keith Yandle, ;">21. John Klingberg, ;">22. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, ;">23. Ryan McDonagh, NYR <br ;">24. Seth Jones, ">25. Ryan Suter, ;">26. Brady Skjei, ;">27. Colton Parayko, ;">28. Nick Leddy, "> ;">30. Justin Faulk, ;">31. Aaron Ekblad, FLA <br ;">32. Cam Fowler, ;">33. Shayne Gostisbehere, ;">34. Jake Gardiner, TOR <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">35. Oscar Klefbom, EDM <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">36. Andrei Markov, MTL (UFA) <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">37. Matt Dumba, MIN <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">38. Dion Phaneuf, OTT <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">39. Hampus Lindholm, ANA <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">40. Brent Seabrook, CHI <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">41. Jaccob Slavin, CAR <br style="box-sizing: inherit;">42. Sami Vatanen, ;">43. Ryan Ellis, N t;">44. Tyson Barrie, t;">45. Jared Spurgeon, it;">46. Dmitry Orlov, ;">47. Jacob Trouba, ;">48. Morgan Rielly, >49. Nikita Zaitsev, ">50. Ivan Provorov,

#3 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

No, at least before expansion draft.

#4 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

Grey, is that really how you wanted that table to look? I feel like there's some badass formatting there, but at least on my screen, it's looking as tangled as Margaret Thatcher's undercarriage.

1. I can confidently say that MAF would not garner one of the Top 20 guys on that list.

2. Beyond that though, are teams even allowed to trade prior to the Expansion Draft? It was my understanding that that was the first actual official event to kick off the offseason. If you allow teams to trade prior to that, you theoretically open loopholes for teams to trade players to avoid protecting them, and then have them re-traded back.

I could be totally wrong on #2, but I thought no major roster moves were allowed until the draft is over.

#5 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 14 June 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Grey, is that really how you wanted that table to look? I feel like there's some badass formatting there, but at least on my screen, it's looking as tangled as Margaret Thatcher's undercarriage.

1. I can confidently say that MAF would not garner one of the Top 20 guys on that list.

2. Beyond that though, are teams even allowed to trade prior to the Expansion Draft? It was my understanding that that was the first actual official event to kick off the offseason. If you allow teams to trade prior to that, you theoretically open loopholes for teams to trade players to avoid protecting them, and then have them re-traded back.

I could be totally wrong on #2, but I thought no major roster moves were allowed until the draft is over.

There is a trade freeze between June 17 and June 22, teams can only trade with Vegas during those days but they will not be announced until the 21st after Vegas' expansion draft roster is announced.

Before the 17th, though, teams can conduct business as usual. There was a trade tonight. Washington traded for some jobber from Minnesota so they could leave him unprotected and protect Lars Eller.

#6 User is offline   Grey 

• Bear Down Arizona
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 14 June 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Yeah, that format came out like the Russians got in there and hacked it to shit. I'm workin on it haha.

#7 User is offline   Grey 

• Bear Down Arizona
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

[quote name='Grey' timestamp='1497484842' post='858268']

Erik Karlsson
Brent Burns
Victor Hedman
Kevin Shattenkirk
Roman Josi
Dustin Byfuglien
Dougie Hamilton
Zach Werenski
Duncan Keith
Torey Krug
Drew Doughty
Rasmus Ristolainen
Shea Weber
Ivan Provorov
Nikita Zaitsev
Alex Pietrangelo
John Carlson
Mark Girordano
John Klingberg
Keith Yandle
Oliver Ekman Larsen
Ryan McDonough
Seth Jones
Ryan Suter
Brady Skjei
Colton Parayko
Nick Leddy
Justin Faulk
Aaron Eckblad
Cam Fowler
Jake Gardiner
Oskar Klefbom
Adrai Markov
Mat Dumba
Dmitri orlov
Jacob Truba
Morgan Reilly
Tyson Barrie
Ryan Ellis
Sami Vatanen
Jaccob Slaven
BRent Seabrook

I omitted Gostisbhere because no fucking way those fucks make a trade with us.

#8 User is online   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

I don't think that there will be any trade of Flower. My impression is a mutual professional courtesy was given. MAF waived only for Vegas, and the Pens agreed so that they could keep both he and Murray for the rest of the year.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#9 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:29 AM

Man. I was watching a slow mo replay of Hornqvist's Game 6 winning goal, and it's pretty spectacular.

Being a right-handed shot, the *instinct* there is probably to try to take the bounce off the boards to your backhand, and slide it inside the right pipe. Had Hornqvist tried that though, Rinne would've been there with ease.

Instead, Hornqvist spins and takes a forehand shot from BEHIND the goal, prior to Rinne getting into position, aiming for the deflection off his back from the start.

It was an instantaneous decision based on a split second analysis from a veteran, made to look easy. It won the Penguins the Cup.

#10 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:47 AM

View Postjcharding, on 14 June 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

I don't think that there will be any trade of Flower. My impression is a mutual professional courtesy was given. MAF waived only for Vegas

MAF only has a partial NTC, so he doesn't have to waive to be traded the teams not covered by his NTC. That said, I both think that MAF to Vegas in the ED is the most likely option, and hope very strongly for that to be what happens.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#11 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Brian Dumoulin had a hand injury. Carl Hagelin broke his fibula during the season and said it never really recovered.

#12 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Matt Murray had a torn hamstring. That was the injury that had him sidelined at the start of the playoffs.

#13 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hockey players are like cartoon characters. The stuff they play through is unreal.

#14 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Shit

Pens Inside Scoop
@PensInsideScoop
Rutherford said #Pens may add a player or 2 to protect the lineup and dissuade cheap shots -SK

#15 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 15 June 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

Shit

Pens Inside Scoop
@PensInsideScoop
Rutherford said #Pens may add a player or 2 to protect the lineup and dissuade cheap shots -SK

Woot!

#16 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

I have to go get a root canal done so I can debate this nonsense late. In the meantime, I wrote about why this is stupid ... like four years ago.

http://deadspin.com/...-don-1442618145

#17 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

I remember reading that article when you first wrote it.

The only issue I have- which you have always done- is that you narrowly definite an enforcer simply as "someone who punches people." So yeah, if that's all a player does, they aren't going to add a lot else to a team.

BUUUUUUT, there's a wide gulf between a guy like that, versus:

Ryan Malone
Max Talbot
James Neal

THESE are the types of guys I hope Rutherford is talking about: guys that are tough as hell, provide grit, and serve as somewhat of a guard against cheap shots. At the same time, they are offensively and defensively skilled enough that they can contribute a great deal on the 3rd and 4th lines- Neal on the 1st or 2nd line.

For as much as the Penguins' defense overachived- especially in Letang's absence- they were soff as hell when it came to absolute physicality. Hopefully all kinds of red flags went up for Rutherford when Crosby and Malkin had to get their own backs and do their own fighting in the playoffs. It should never be that way.

You didn't like when the Steelers made Tomlin fire Bruce Arians and bring in Todd Haley. But clearly, it was done to protect Ben Roethlisberger, as he's their franchise player. If these pending moves by the Penguins can better protect Crosby and Malkin, then I am all for them. Go Rutherford!

#18 User is offline   Ryan Vogelsong 

• Little League

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

They're screwed. They have to pick 31st in the draft. Where will they be in 5 years?

#19 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Vogelsong is back!!!!

#20 User is offline   Grey 

• Bear Down Arizona
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

I used to have a T shirt of that enforcer at Wilkes Barre for the Baby Pens, can't remember his name.

Share this topic:

• 34 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic