• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MGP Night in pics and video Reposted for CIA Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mercerboy 

• Aspiring Legend
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

All right, here we friggin' go - again. I can't post as many pictures per post on this board, so this is going to be about 5 posts long...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story starts out in an interesting way for me and has nothing to do with the game or MGP. I had to work until 8:30 AM on Saturday, so I knew I wasn't going to get much sleep. I woke up at noon because I had to go over to my friend's house to let their dog out. He called me before I went and told me he forgot the free tickets I had given him for the game, so I had to go get those too. I went to my friend's house, opened the door, and the dog was in the living room. I was trying to get the dog to come outside so it could do its business. This dog is always pretty happy to see me come over (why I have no idea), so what did it do?

It peed all over the kitchen floor when it ran over to me. It also peed on the carpet in the living room twice.

I finally got the dog outside, and of course, it didn't do anything out there except run around. After a few minutes of running the dog went back inside. I figured my job was done. So, I locked the door to the side entrance...

And then I realized I left my car and house keys in the house. Fuck.

I called my friend. He told me he locked all the windows in the house, so there was no way I was getting in through a window. I then resigned myself to thinking I would have to have schnoah pick me up at his place since I was going to drive us both down there...so much for that.

After giving him a call and giving directions, I got creative. My dad is a locksmith, and I helped him for the better part of 15 years opening houses, cars, safes, etc. I tried to devise a crude lock picking device out of the tines of a rake. Unfortunately, they didn't fit in the lock. Then I had another bright idea. I got out my Capital One "No Hassle" Card (that I never use) out of my wallet. I figured I could try to bypass the latch mechanism if I could get my card to depress it enough...just like you would see in a movie.

And wouldn't you know - it worked.

I was jumping up and down, marvelling at my creative thinking. I was also laughing at how terribly unsafe my friend's house is...anyway, I got my keys, called schnoah, and everything was back on schedule. True story.

We left my place around 1:45 PM. Since we were going to get there a little early we stopped off at a Subway where schnoah scarfed down a footlong sub. Then it was off to Gold 2 to find the elusive Honda Odyssey owned by PBD. It was at that point I decided to play some "YYZ" by Rush...you know, just to get in the MGP spirit.

It didn't take long before we found PBD's vehicle...and it was decorated well.

I had made a sign for the event at work the night before (yeah, I had a busy night), so we duct taped it up to the back of the tailgate and had everyone sign it.

There were also the great shirts and jerseys that were made by penguin, buccosmfg, and Jeff King. mfg's was definitely unexpected:

Others continued to pour in to the tailgate area. Apparently many of them realized they had found the group due to my hair. Here's a shot of the early meet and greets:

It was 30 minutes in, and we realized we had a problem - no one had brought burgers. SyrBucco was getting impatient...so impatient that his junk caught fire and left a large imprint on a paper plate that he had next to his privates:

oblongotta and Ohio_Is_For_Buttlovers were amazed.

Shortly afterwards, Zimm arrived...and it didn't take long for him to start drinking anything and everything available.

Next came the astonishing appearance of DJF. Man, did he look different that I thought he would! Here he is with penguin and bucc-o-pain marveling at the wonders of "Cornhole."

BOP and schnoah accurately measuring the playing field:

PSU showed up with Zimm...and guess what - HE BROUGHT THE BURGERS! Master chef oblongatta started the all-important grilling process.

Once the burgers arrived, the party really got started. Most everyone had made their way to the tailgate.

(Note the stunning camera angle I used to include Jeff King's wife.)

penguin definitely enjoyed his meat!

A couple late stragglers were still rolling in...when I saw this guy, I knew it had to be uber:

Four whole jugs of this stuff...and I'm quite certain this and a lot of other alcohol was consumed.

BigBadBucs also made an appearance...I'm really bummed that I forgot to get a pic of him. I thought I did, but I didn't see it anywhere on my camera. He was an extremely nice guy without a care in the world! He even brought some baseball cards. Unfortunately, they didn't come with bubble gum. I figured, "Hey, maybe the wrapper is the gum:"

It wasn't.

Then, the Cornholing began. Ohio was squaring off against Extra Large Poison:

schnoah was trying to keep his shoulder from falling off while tossing the bags:

Ohio's girl was in on the action too:

In the end, Zimm was effectively cornholed by oblongatta...right in the face.

Speaking of girls...I think everyone was in great anticipation for the arrival of tdippo's wife (and tdippo, of course). She did not disappoint, although I did disappoint in snapping a pic of her with her eyes closed. My bad.

Proud member of the Soul-sucking Pessimist Club.

"The power of Change In Atmosphere Night defies all known laws of the universe." - Syrbucco

The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy - as seen on CNBC and ESPNEWS for making $324.34 by betting $20 against the Pirates in every game of the 2010 season.

#2 User is offline   mercerboy 

• Aspiring Legend
  • PipPip

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

There were only a few more people that hadn't shown their faces...and then finally - Winter arrived.

Just kidding. I think we've all seen him already, but his appearance was way different than most of us thought.

The burgers were pretty much cooked to the limit...after all that talk about burgers, I don't think they were all eaten. schnoah ended up with half a package in his cooler.

It was almost game time, and thankfully, there was no run-in with a certain state trooper - or was there?

And just to make things worse, I thought he had brought a friend from OBN:

Just when you thought everything was normal, penguin gets too excited.

Oh right...there was a game to be played. We grabbed our stuff (including a sign that I had made) and headed to the park. Ladies and gentlemen - your starting pitcher...Yoslan Herrera:

His first MLB pitch:

At first, things looked like they might be OK. Hell, he even K'ed Albert Pujols! Note how badly Prince Albert missed this pitch:

Jason Bay led off the Pirates' scoring with a 2-run HR to right center field:

Yoslan got in a few jams, especially in the 2nd when he had the bases loaded, but he got out of it. The 3rd inning...not so much. Here's a shot of Luis Rivas pulling a Jack Wilson:

Yadier Molina (who got a 10 second delayed cheer from the MGP crowd) was pretty much on fire. Here he is ripping a shot down the 3B line.

After 2 1/2, it was 3-2 Cards. The group wasn't in the dumps for long, though. They started showing the groups on the fascia boards after the Cards batted. What do you know...the fifth group they showed was...?

During another break, they were playing Pirates Match Game. I was fairly convinced u0007890 had something to do with the question:

Of course, the answer was DJF...I mean, Adam.

And now for something completely random - a picture of Jose (Snell) Oquendo.

Herrera was getting hit VERY hard. I missed getting a pic of it, but his fastest pitch was 89 MPH. Great work and money spent by the Pirates on a guy that was supposed to throw in the mid 90s. Of course, what pitcher doesn't lose 7-8 MPH on his pitches when they become Pirates? This one is blurry since I had to quickly adjust my camera position with poor lighting, but here's Bay making a catch on a ball that almost got out of the yard. I think Pujols hit it, but it scored a run anyway.

Here's the aftermath of Rivas getting beaned by Wellemeyer:

As you know, it's a staple of MGP to try to get random texts on the Bucco Billboards between innings. I don't know who sent this one, but it was the first:

Things did not get better for young Yoslan. Ludwick took him deep in the 4th. Once again, a blurry shot...but Bay didn't catch this one:

"The power of Change In Atmosphere Night defies all known laws of the universe." - Syrbucco

The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy - as seen on CNBC and ESPNEWS for making $324.34 by betting $20 against the Pirates in every game of the 2010 season.

#3 User is offline   mercerboy 

• Aspiring Legend
  • PipPip

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

Here we have a terrible umpiring mistake. Pujols was dead at second, missed the base by 3 feet, overslid the bag, and was still called safe.

Doug Mientkiewicz was not pleased. In fact, he was thrown out of the game.

John Russell argued for about 2 minutes with the umps and never got thrown out...I don't know how.

And so poor Doug was sent to the showers. I love his glaring sneer at the umps as he walked off the field.

The game was starting to get out of hand. Several MGP'ers were not impressed at the skills of one Jason Bay on his throws into the infield, especially Winter. At one point during the night he yelled, "Hey, Willy Wonka called...he wants his candy arm back!"

I don't know if this was an MGP text or whether Bree did this one from home:

Speaking of Nady, he was relatively quiet on this night. At least he knows not to swing at 55 foot pitches.

Adam LaRoche - straight LEGIT!

5-3...not a terrible deficit, especially when the Pirates only had 2 hits in 4 innings.

Tonight's trivia contestant was smart enough to get the right answer, but stupid enough to trade a $180 jacket for this:

A lifesize cardboard cutout of Homer Simpson. D'OH!

Like I said, Herrera was pretty damned hittable. I started saying, "You know who's going to be coming in soon..."

After a couple more hits, he was in...bye bye Yoslan.

During the next inning break, we had another MGP text sighting. Gee, I wonder who could have sent this one:

Did anyone ask what this guy thought about it?

All I had was one simple thing to say:

Pierogi race...Hannah absolutely curbed-stomped everyone.

What more can we say about Nate McLouth...he does it all. This is an extremely crappy picture, but I did managed to "sort of" get Nate making his spectacular diving catch which he turned into a double play at first.

T-shirt toss...some of the guys noticed some illegal eye candy in front of us. Too bad I had already beat them to the punch.

Sloshy tried to get the attention of the camera crew as they walked by our section. He found little success, and the ushers weren't impressed either. I don't think it phased Sloshy very much.

#4 User is offline   mercerboy 

• Aspiring Legend
  • PipPip

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

During the next break, the text operators finally realized they'd better listen if they didn't want to taste the strong fists of Zimm:

Yeah, I focused a lot on the game action, but I got a few pics of everyone sitting down. I was on the far end of the row. I tried to get a picture or two.

Did anyone mention that Sloshy had quite a few alcoholic beverages on the night...and he was buying them for everyone else too:

With the way the game was trending, it wouldn't be long before we had the appearance of "Mr. Tyler Redmond, Laser-At-Knee Throwing Extraordinaire:"

The natives were getting restless, and they decided to throw their slings and arrows at one Ryan Ludwick. After about 15 different barbs, someone (I think it was Winter) asked, "Ryan, do you like gladiator movies???"

He nodded up and down about 4 times. We all busted up laughing. So did he. This one's blurry, but you can see the smirk on his face.

Our incessant love for the Molinas worked against the Pirates on this night as it does many nights.

My wandering eyes once again caught a glimpse of some questionably-aged young women...I don't know how I managed to see them from 100 feet away, but I got a picture anyway albeit somewhat blurry.

DAN POTASH SIGHTING!

I think either schnoah or PSU had something to do with this.

That was right before my first camera battery died. Luckily I did bring the spare, so the pictures kept coming...and videos...many of which I will not be displaying - at least not yet.

schnoah was responsible for this; don't look at me.

Here we have a tender moment between Winter and Zimm.

And now, my friends...it's time to talk about....

Jagr girl.

You see, there was this woman who was sitting directly in front of me. She was there presumably with her family as there was a young boy and girl with her. Eventually we discovered that the boy's name was Jiri - named after Jiri Slegr, formerly of the Pittsburgh Penguins. At that point she became fair game for MGP. Of course, it didn't help that she started being very rowdy. I'm not sure whether it was beer; some suggested it was weed, but whatever it was, she was out of control. At one point in time she was heckling Ludwick saying that his ass was bigger than hers. I highly doubt it.

We were all fairly resigned to the fact that the Pirates were going to be losers on this night...down 10-4 in the 8th inning with very little to be happy about. Hell, the Cardinals had reached 20 hits and had left double-digit men on base. The score could have easily been 20-4. It had also started to rain making several people leave the game - this included my friend and his fiancee whose house I broke into, another one of my friends from the area, and families sitting ahead of us. When asked why they were leaving, one of the young children said, "It's over."

Jason Bay had other ideas - he hit his 2nd HR on the night to LF making it 10-6.

#5 User is offline   mercerboy 

• Aspiring Legend
  • PipPip

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

That was when the rally cap was donned.

LHB's wife went for a different rally strategy by trying to emulate the Virgin Mary:

(insert vulgar azzbirth joke here.)

Zimm had a different rally cap as well:

HerrM tried the Virgin Mary route:

There were other forms of "rally caps" used at the game, but once again...I am respecting others' wishes. Believe me, I could make a whole separate thread about this stuff...and I will at a later date if it's OK.

Here was a theme that prevailed at the game and the bar scene...guys with Faux Hawks. I guess you "could" call it a rally cap also.

And then we had what may have been the best (or worst) rally cap of the night. Unfortunately, the pic is kinda blurry, but I present to you - THE FAT NINJA.

Note the rubbing of the nipple. It was a priceless photo.

Whatever methods of rallying were used, they started to work. Nate McLouth blasted a 3-run HR to make it 10-9, and the Bucs were excited in the dugout.

Jeff King and oblongatta were too excited to sit down.

And that - is when I switched from pictures, to video. I present to you the end of the Cardinals/Pirates game on 7-12-08 - MGP Night - with a video montage set to the sounds of Greg Brown, Steve Blass, Tom Petty, and that dude who had a song in Teen Wolf. Enjoy...I know someone has because it already had 31 views before I even got a chance to post it here.

That's right, folks...

Unbelieveable game. Unbelievable atmosphere. We all walked out of our section and received high-fives from pretty much everyone we walked passed. I held that Molina'd sign up from the second I left my seat to the time I got out to the parking lot. It was fan heaven...what a feeling. I have NEVER been part of a crowd reaction like that. Seriously...getting high-fives from other random fans (including a few St. Louis fans, haha). How awesome would it be if the Pirates won more than they lost, and *gasp* - even made a run at the championships? I live for that day.

Once we got back to the lot, some of us said their goodbyes...but not before drinking some more.

Here we see tdippo collecting on his bet for a Pirates win. He was pleased.

BOP was definitely feeling the love.

And, of course...where would MGP night, and this board itself been, without DJF - and Das Boot.

The party kept going afterward as Sloshy and Winter managed to get kicked out of a bar, I ended up grinding on some random girl...Sloshy told her that I had been in Iraq and he was trying to convince her of it. Two other random girls just started trying to dance on me. I have no idea how this happened because I am extremely terrible when it comes to dealing with women. Zimm and PSU were asking me if this happened all the time. It doesn't, but then again, I don't go out much since I don't drink. Maybe I should.

There you go, folks. That was probably about 90 pictures, 10 minutes of video, and 9 hours of fun that we all had during MGP night. That was definitely the best game I've been when I've gone with a group of people. I was at the 18 inning game when we came back 3 times and beat Houston a few years ago, but that was by myself. I cannot wait until MGP night #2. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

#6 User is offline   ohio_is_for_buttlovers 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Skinny Skiing. Going to bullfights on acid.

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I'm too lazy to write comments for them all again but here are the pictures I have from MGP night:

#7 Guest_sloshyj_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (ohio_is_for_buttlovers @ Dec 11 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easily my favorite of the ones I am in.

#8 Guest_Nickflair04_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

Here are mine.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic